Earlier this week, Mariah Carey seemed to be on top of the world as she rejoiced about her stellar weight-loss and new role as a mother. But now the iconic singer is on the defense as reports have claimed that Carey took a jab at reality star Kim Kardashian, which the singer says is far from the truth.
During a press conference on Nov. 9 to announce herself as the latest spokesperson for Jenny (formerly Jenny Craig), Carey talked about her strong union with husband Nick Cannon, remarking, “There’s no teams; me and Nick are the same team always…I’m a real person, I’m not going to put on a fake face for Hollywood…Sometimes we make each other mad. That’s why we’re not divorced after four months. I’m sorry. I’m just saying thisHollywoodthing … did I say something that is wrong?”
Apparently, in the eyes of the world and the clearly shocked audience, Carey did. Many believed that Carey was taking a jab Kardashian, who’s embroiled in a public scandal after filing for divorce from her NBA husband, Kris Humphries, after only 72 days of marriage.
However, during a recent appearance on “Extra,” Carey explained to host AJ Calloway that wasn’t taking a jab at Kardashian or anyone else in particular.
“First of all, I don’t read the tabloids unless it’s about me. And even then, when it is about me, I try not to read it unless it’s good,” she laughed. “I don’t look at these people; I don’t even know what it is, but I do know that marriages come and go really quickly inHollywood.”
Carey continued, “A lot of people have high-profile moments and then they get a divorce and I’m sure it’s very painful for them. My thing is I don’t want that. I got married to stay married. I want some stability for our kids, and Nick feels the same way. Not only are we both kind of jokesters, for the lack of a better word, we are also kind of provincial in that way. I think we both believe in trying to make it through. I’m proud of it.”
Well, it looks like Carey may have dodged a bullet but who knows if Kim K will eventually decide to respond. But if the non-existent Carey and Kardashian spat doesn’t quench your drama-loving thirst, below (in no particular order) are our five favorite celebrity battles of the year (so far).
1. Game vs. Jay-Z – It’s no secret that Game is no fan of Jay-Z, but in July, the West Coast emcee took his issues with Jay to the next level when he released the diss track “Uncle Otis.” Over the next several weeks, Game continued to take shots at Jay and explained that an unfortunate meeting between the two soured their relationship years ago. And though Jay never responded to Game’s disses (as Game predicted), it was still worthwhile to see Game to try unsettle his East Coast enemy.
2. Tyler, The Creator vs. Bruno Mars & Tyler Perry – Here’s what Tyler said on Game’s R.E.D. Album track, “Martians vs. Goblins”: “Bruno Mars is still sucking d–k and f—king male butts in the same closet that Tyler Perry gets clothes from, ummm.” Yeah, ‘nuff said,Tyler. ‘Nuff said.
3. Lil’ Kim vs. Nicki Minaj – Bitter enemies Lil’ Kim and Nicki Minaj had been embroiled in a heated beef since 2010, but by 2011, the two had transformed their beef into a near all-out verbal war. Kim dropped her diss-heavy mixtape, Black Friday, replete with a graphically violent cover as well as the deliciously venomous “Black Friday” diss. On the other end, Nicki released a number of comical disses, calling Kim a “fried chicken” and a tragically washed up “Raggedy Ann” doll. Though the beef seemed to cool down afterwards, Kim recently reignited the feud with two new diss tracks. Clearly, we’ll be talking about this in 2012 as well.
4. Nene Leakes vs. Star Jones – Even before TV stars Nene Leakes and Star Jones made their debut on the latest season of “Celebrity Apprentice,” the two stars admitted that they despised each other. So, when the show premiered, viewers watched as Leakes and Jones strained-relationship slowly eroded before Leakes eventually exploded at Jones on camera. The two enemies will never be friends (or bitter enemies anymore) , but their epic feud will always make us grin.
5. Chris Brown vs. Good Morning America – It’s been a rough two years for Brown, since his 2009 assault on then-girlfriend Rihanna. After enduring endless questions on his violence, Brown finally exploded in March 2011 after “GMA” host Robin Roberts pressed him about his violent past with Rihanna. After dodging Roberts questions during the interview, Brown returned to his dressing room and proceeded to trash it, even smashing a window and harassing a segment producer. Though Brown eventually settled his beef with “GMA” and its network ABC, the public temper tantrum will go down as one of Brown’s most notorious moments.