According to The New York Post, a Missouri infant stricken by the cronobacter sakazakii bacteria has died, while another from Illinois and a third, from Oklahoma, are recovering after being sickened by the same bacteria.
Confirmation by federal authorities Dec. 28 that a third infant was sick from the deadly bacteria prompted Wal-mart, Walgreens and Supervalu stores to remove cans of Enfamil Newborn powder from the shelves.
“[There is] no evidence any of these cases is connected,” Barbara Reynolds, a spokeswoman for the Centers for Disease Control, told the Post.
CNN reported that the third child was fed a different brand of baby formula than the powdered Enfamil, which sickened the other two children.
A spokesman for Mead Johnson Nutrition, makers of Enfamil, told CNN that Mead had tested its products and found no evidence of the bacteria.
A CDC report found that 50 to 80 percent of the infections caused by the bacteria have powdered infant formula as “both the vehicle and the source (direct and indirect).”
To render the Cronobacter sakazakii bacteria harmless, before feeding to an infant be sure to:
- Mix infant formula with water that is headed to at least 158°F.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for preparation.
- Throw away mixed formula after 24 hours.