This show just can’t catch a break. Executives at A&E network have decided to cancel its “Generation KKK” documentary after discovering the interview subjects participating in the project were compensated “nominal” payments by third-party field producers.
The news came by surprise after the network announced it was changing the name to “Escaping the KKK: A Documentary Series Exposing Hate in America” on Saturday, just one day before learning of the cash discrepancy. In a recent statement, the network agreed not to air the program and declared the incident was in violation of A&E policies regarding documentaries.
“While we stand behind the intent of the series and the seriousness of the content, these payments are a direct violation of A&E’s policies and practices for a documentary,” the network said in a statement.
The 8-part series had been under fire since the release of the trailer showing viewers a glimpse of the content set to air on Jan. 10, 2017. In the opening scene, The Imperial Wizard of the North Mississippi White Knights is filmed gifting his young children Klansman hoods hoping they would follow suit behind his legacy.
The controversial footage of the hate group caused quite a stir and not long after the cable network received widespread criticism from viewers and advertisers ready to boycott the show. Taking into account the long history of violence against African-Americans in this country, the backlash was expected. The network continued to express that their intentions were to capture a close look at the Ku Klux Klan and encourage the long-time members to eventually leave the group.
“Our goal with this series has always been to expose and combat racism and hatred in all its forms,” A&E said. “A&E takes the authenticity of its documentary programming and the subject of racism, hatred and violence very seriously.”
The interviewees have not yet made a statement.