Diddy, Mary Mary Among Honorees at 24th ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Music Awards: Pics
June 24, 2011 — The 24th ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Music Awards paid special tribute to Sean “Diddy” Combs, recipient of the ASCAP Founders Award, and Mary Mary, recipients of the ASCAP Golden Note Award, as well as honored the songwriters and publishers of the most performed ASCAP songs on the 2010 R&B, Hip-Hop, Rap and Gospel charts.
Attended by hundreds of songwriters, recording artists and music industry leaders, the event included surprise appearances by music icon Dr.Dre, who presented Diddy’s award, and hip-hop phenomenon Drake, who also presented to songwriters of the year Noah “40″ Shebib and Matthew “Boi-1da” Samuels; special performances by Mary Mary, R&B artist Miguel, rapper Pusha T and R&B singer-songwriter Andrea Martin. Celeb attendees included Grammy Award-winning singer Ne-Yo, Jimmy Iovine, Sylvia Rhone, LeToya Luckett, Americon Idol singers Jacob Lusk and Naima Adedapo, Dirty Money, Foxy Brown, pop singer Jessica Jarrell, Melody Thornton and TV producer Suzanne de Passe.
In addition to the aforementioned artists and music leaders, others in attendance included Kerry “Krucial” Brothers, DJ Clark Kent, DJ Frank E., Drumma Boy, James Fortune, MC Lyte, No I.D., Kelly Rowland, Stargate, The Legendary Traxster, Terence Vaughn, Nate Walka, Deniece Williams, Mario Winans and Michael and Mechelle Epps. –gerald radford
Top awards were handed out to:
· Songwriters of the Year (tie): Ludacris, Matthew “Boi-1da” Samuels and Noah “40″ Shebib
· Publisher of the Year: EMI Music Publishing
· Top R&B/Hip-Hop Song: “Un-Thinkable (I’m Ready)” written by Kerry “Krucial” Brothers, Alicia Keys and Noah “40″ Shebib
· Top Rap Song: “Nothin’ On You” written by Philip Lawrence, Ari Levine and Bruno Mars
· Top Gospel Song: “They That Wait” written by Ericka R. Warren