Rihanna Shuts Down Dallas Show After Stage Catches Fire
Pop megastar Rihanna has been burning up stages nationwide on her current “Loud” Tour and things got extra hot for the singer on Friday, July 8, when she shut down her concert in Dallas, Texas after a fire erupted above the stage at the American Airlines Center.
According to NBC Dallas-Fort Worth, a pyrotechnics display burst into flames while Rihanna, who was dressed in a floor-length canary-colored gown with a bejeweled black and white neckline was performing. The “What’s My Name” singer quickly exited the stage as sparks fell to the floor, forcing front row attendants to move towards the exits.
Smoke quickly began to fill the arena and the lights came on as the buildings sirens began to ring.
The fire was subsequently extinguished, prompting cheering from the audience before they were evacuated from the AAC.
According to Billboard, Dallas Fire Rescue Captain Johnny Bates told the CBS affiliate that a chair caught on fire.
“One of our engine crews did enter the building, but crew members with the AAC or concert put out the initial fire,” he explained. “Everything is under control and there are no injuries.”
After the stadium was evacuated, Rihanna took to Twitter and joked about the hazardous incident.
“DALLAS!!! We set the stage on FYAH tonight!!! LITERALLY!!! I’m so pissed, I was havin so much fun wit yall too!!! I gotta come back man!!” tweeted Rihanna, adding that she would return to Dallas at a later date, “DALLAS yall CRAY!!! Love this f—-n place! Glad u guys are safe!!! I promise I’ll be back!!! #MoFYAH.”
Rihanna also explained that she was looking into the cause of the fire.
“Heading into a production meeting to find out exactly what happened!!! Keep u posted #LOUDtourDALLAS,” tweeted Rihanna.
Hopefully, Rihanna and her loyal “Navy” of fans won’t experience any unexpected fireworks the next go around. Watch video of the stage fire here. –nicholas robinson