Carol’s Daughter in Hot Seat for Fair-Skinned Ambassadors

The flames of the ongoing struggle for darker skinned individuals to be counted among what the world considers beautiful were fanned recently by one of our own, Carol’s Daughter. The perceptibly afrocentric beauty products company, partly owned by Mary J. Blige and Jada Pinkett Smith, recently introduced new ambassadors for the brand, and it has some up in arms.

Solange Knowles, Selita Ebanks and Cassie — all women of color — now represent Carol’s Daughter as the new faces of the New York-based company’s beauty products. So what’s all the hubbub about? They’re actually fair-skinned women of color.

The “sisters” are fuming.

“I think it’s [dark-skinned discrimination] exceptionally offensive because I’m a darker-skinned woman,” says an anonymous New Yorker about the issue. “We’re beautiful, but society says no, and we’re a mob society versus being individual thinkers. But I guess Carol’s Daughter is not just for black people, it’s for ethnic skin, so they aren’t necessarily stepping out of line.”

Since Carol’s Daughter has earned the reputation as the go-to-brand for black women that are proud of their black heritage, whether accurate or not, darker hued women are feeling slighted by the omission of that end of the spectrum in their new ambassadors. Are they wrong for feeling that way?

I, personally, feel that black is black, whether light or dark, and I’m all for black pride.  But it seems that on our mission to promote not just black, but dark pride, we’ve unfairly and unintentionally developed a resentment toward the less pigmented in our own community. I can certainly grasp the fact that damage has been done by the historic omission of darker sisters from film, videos, commercials, etc., but we have to pull up when we begin to take it out on our own. So, the beef is legitimate, but it should be leveled at the right people versus imposing the fight on fair-skinned people or a company like Carol’s Daughter whose mission is to represent people of color, period.

According to reports, a spokesperson for the company explained their logic in arriving at the “chosen ones” by saying the three women selected have three different textures of hair and skin types, which speaks to the versatility of the products they’re promoting. There was no intentional departure from dark skin, they simply chose who met their product-specific promotional needs.

According to globalgrind.com, Steve Stoute, the chairman of Carol’s Daughter said, “They don’t see color anymore. They’ll say, ‘My father’s black, my mother’s white’ — they are all these ethnicities that make up these people, and what we decided to do was mirror what’s happening in America.”

Sounds credible to me.

It’s safe to say that we’ve moved pretty far beyond the house versus field negro days as far as privilege is concerned, and we’re more diverse in color now than we’ve ever been. So with that, we have to accept and even embrace the fact that dark chocolate won’t always be represented and not disown the milk chocolate that still do us proud. It’s all chocolate. Let Carol’s Daughter serve their “of color” customer base as they see fit.

What do you think about Carol’s Daughter’s new faces?

1. The Rain on April 17, 2011 at 4:39 am

Saying “fair skin” for people with a light complexion is like saying “good hair”,when talking about black people with straight or naturally wavy hair.”Fair skinned”,implies that darker skin is unfair.We really need to have a come to Jesus meeting about how light skinned people have and still benefit from being light skinned,and their not wanting to admit it and pretend that they have had to deal with racism on the same level as darker sisters and brothers,and how they have even joined in on the oppression of darker skinned blacks.Can you say paper bag test,boys and girls?

• darker the berry on April 18, 2011 at 2:42 am

“The Rain” I agree with you.. And not only that – I am a brown skinned woman. I just made my first purchase of CD products, and because of this I will think long and hard before I spend any more money on CD products. To say that we have to overcome this issue is obsurd. Racism still goes on in this country, among us black people and towards us. We as black people need to be accountable and held accountable. If we don’t represent ALL of us nobody will. We have been stricken to be inferior and most of us have inferiority complexes. To not represent all of us does not help at all in mending the issues we have with ourselves.

• Stew on October 25, 2011 at 6:11 am

Phenomenal breakodwn of the topic, you should write for me too!

• Seven on October 27, 2011 at 10:59 pm

TYVM you’ve solved all my prolebms

2. Rhonda McKnight on April 17, 2011 at 2:13 pm

Not cool CD.

3. Andy IzEpidemic Jones on April 17, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Though i DO believe there arent enough brown to dark brown skinned women being represented in multi media, I think people are blowing this one out of proportion. Sometimes we end up holding ourselves back because we get so defensive with our OWN people. The spiteful history forced upon us is something WE will have to overcome. The first steps towards acceptance need to come from US, within OUR OWN communities. This is a BLACK owned business with BEAUTIFUL BLACK WOMEN representing them. Black businesses already have a hard time getting and keeping support from other groups. Now they have to gain the support of their own people because the models/business partners they chose arent black enough for black people? Come on my brothers and sisters. We are better than this dispute.

• Jackie Berry on May 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

There is NO such thing as “blowing this out of proportion” when it comes to this age old subject.  You may not be old enough to remember, but back in the day…blacks were not even allowed to get JOBS if they were too dark.  Don’t you DARE talk about this subject, unless you have walked in the shoes of someone who has been affected by this.

• Jackie Berry on May 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

• Klondike on October 26, 2011 at 7:11 am

If information were sccoer, this would be a goooooal!

4. Catrinaward on April 17, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Are you kidding me? These are beautiful black women whom we should support. The saying goes: black is beautiful, I believe this includes all shades. We want other races to not judge,yet there is judgement in our race against eachother! Let’s love eachother sisters!!!!

5. Kristy T. on April 18, 2011 at 3:47 am

Why are we still discussing skin tones in terms of chocolate?

6. Industrymom87 on April 18, 2011 at 10:43 am

I’m a fair-skinned sister, who applauds the beauty of these young women, but I agree with this long-standing ‘beef’ as I watch my daughter — who has medium complexion – want more of what I have. We have got to start these discussions and keep them going, as parents need support for the confidence-building being conducted at home. In a time where we are immersing our daughters with images that are complete departures from ‘who they really are’ — hair extensions, colored contacts, uber-mature clothing, etc, there is need for more grounding and self-awareness for these girls. And continuing to ‘not promote’ the beauty of our darker-skinned sisters are not helping our culture at all — it only negates what ‘the point truly is’…beauty comes in all shades!!!

7. MistaShock on April 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

No we have not moved from this type of discrimination. It is still going on full blast everyday in the media. In videos, in the news, in advertising, on TV, in the movies, in magazines. We can only hope that black owned companies will represent us all and even they are discrimination. I’m sorry but the “house negro” and “field negro” mentality is on full display with this product.

I say boycott this product until they represent our queens rightfully. It’s time even WE should be proud of our color………..all of our colors.

8. Pr_pro1973 on April 18, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Oh my goodness. Here we go. I’m a light skinned / fair complexioned sister who comes from variety of hues in my family. I grew up with no consciousness of my complexion until someone else made it an issue. My hair was nappier than my darker complexioned older and younger sister and I was the one always screaming at the sight of a comb, but no one cared. It was my turn to get the naps straightened out our pulled up into a ponytail.
    It wasn’t until I moved to Georgia, that my hairdresser allowed a dark complexioned assistant wash my hair and everyone looked away in humor. A light skinned woman walked in and informed me of what the joke was. Apparently, the dark skinned wash girl didn’t like ‘us’ and made a habit of wetting up any of ‘us’ that sat in her chair. My stylist knew it and allowed it to happen anyways. Needless to say, she only got what her fee was and I never went back. When she called to make my next appt., I let her know how I felt. She was apologetic, but by then it was too late.
    Fair skinned people get discriminated against too. By everyone. Its not right; but it happens. Dark skinned nappy hair Spanish people do it to fair skinned straight haired Spanish people and so on….
    Get over it. The lady who created Carol’s Daughter is dark. MJB is dark…ask them if they feel slighted by the new ambassadors.

9. mshoneynyc on April 18, 2011 at 3:34 pm

When black and brown people start saying “they don’t see color anymore”, you know the conversation is moving in the wrong direction. I don’t use Carol’s Daughter products, but it sounds like they are more interested in serving the “women of color” population than black women, proper. I take no issue with it, they can market their products however they want, but being a black woman I wouldn’t expect them to cater to me, even if the owners are black, nor should they expect my support.

10. Pr_pro1973 on April 18, 2011 at 3:51 pm

If you read the article……..you’d know more about the reason behind the choice. Don’t be so quick to judge….

Carol’s Daughter Chairman and entertainment industry mogul, Steve Stoute, was quoted in Women’s Wear Daily stating:

What we’re doing now is moving into a polyethnic space. When I say polyethnic, I mean women who are made up of several ethnicities,” Stoute explained. “If you ask them what they are, they’re going to use a lot of different words to describe themselves. That’s in line with the Census data coming out — people are checking much more than two boxes.

According to Women’s Wear Daily:

Carol’s Daughter aims to showcase the customers who can’t be neatly slotted into one category or another. Take, for instance, Cassie, who is of black and Filipina descent, or Ebanks, who has Jamaican, Irish, Indian and African heritage and grew up in the Cayman Islands. Knowles is of African-American and French Creole descent.“Carol’s Daughter doesn’t have just one direct demographic,” said Ebanks. “Solange’s hair is a different texture than mine; so is Cassie’s. Our skin and body types are different. Today, people are blended, and I think the three of us are a prime example. Women in my family range from vanilla to the deepest chocolate.”

“They will serve as cultural ambassadors in bringing forth this acceptance that the definition of beauty is now colorless,” said Steve Stoute, chairman and lead investor in the company. “There are no longer boxes of white, black, Latina, Asian. More and more women are checking the other box.”

• Mistashock on May 18, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I read the article. And I call BS. Is he trying to convince us that all the “multi ethnic” women in the world are fair skinned? I am a photographer and I have shot many mulit-ethnic women and many of then are not “fair-skinned”.  This was a deliberate choice.

I remember when CD were trying to showcase black women. Now after black women helped to raise the company higher, their goal now is to “showcase the customers who can’t be neatly slotted into one category or another” Interesting

• Mistashock on May 18, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Also,could someone explain the difference in hair texture between Selita Ebanks and Cassie?

11. Aimee Jason on April 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm

When I think Carol’s Daughter products I think hair! I’ve used their products for both hair and skin…but I stick to the hair line when purchasing. Now on that note…as far as the color…beauty is in the eye of the beholder! So that’s whatever to me! The 3 Ambassadors that were chosen…I first looked at their hair and the style that the represent. Cassie…well I can’t comment on her hair or her nationality cause I don’t know if she is mixed or black, or Hispanic. Selita…is her hair all natural??? Is that her “real” hair?? And Solange…I’ve said this before as far as her “new natural” look…it’s just a fashion statement for her…not a way of life or a change for a better head of hair. So all in all..to me there are more questions about the new ambassadors for this company then the “fair skinned” obvious one!

12. Leha on April 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm

They are not milk chocolate! I’ll give them carmel at best or better yet dulce de leche since it’s not about just Black women.

13. Illustrious10 on April 18, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I think people are missing the point. I don’t believe people mean to knock or judge the women on this cover, but moreso, give light to the “omission” of darker-skinned women. Whether intentional or not, such an omission leaves a lot to be interpreted. The only difference I see in these women are their hair types, which of course hold a lot of value; however ethnicity does not start or stop at hair. This photo and the claim “Beauty in Diversity” only holds up the “beauty” part…. the diversity is not apparent. And if someone who seeks out diversity has to look for diversity on that page… then what will the common American see?

14. Erycafambro on April 18, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I don’t have an issue with the women that they have chosen to represent their brand. When I look at them I see black women. We have to stop pepetuating these strerotypes of dark versus light and good hair versus bad hair. It’s just skin and its just hair… when can we stop placing a value judgement on these things and realize that although they may look different, feel different, they still serve the same purpose.

15. Awm050501 on April 18, 2011 at 8:42 pm

When I first saw the ad, I thought they went with name recognition; a few seconds later, skin tone came to my mind. I always feel conflicted about issues such as this, as being a very fair skinned Black woman, I know how my darker sisters have been and continued to be played in the mainstream, but regardless of my skin tone, I am just as Black.

16. True Genius on April 19, 2011 at 12:22 am

Here we go again….another debate by us about us because of us!!!! It’s getting cold and old, time to let it go. I could care less that three fair-skin, light-skin, whatever-skin women are the ambassadors for Carol’s Daughter, because they are not white-skin. Have lost sight of what really matters in this world, that we have Jennifer Hudson as the national spokesperson for Weght-Watchers and Queen Latifah with her own line of cosmetics for Cover Girl? I understand that Carol’s Daughter is a Black-owned company and has been propelled over the top by Mary J. Blige, Oprah Winfrey and Jada Pinkett-Smith, so who cares that they chose to use the three women in the picture. There are way more important things to debate such as the statistics on the number of unmarried Black women who have several children by several different men, the number of Black men in prison vice the college campus, the fact that Blacks still hold the least amount of wealth in the United States. Enough already, let’s look at what is truly important and not superficial.

17. JDATLANTA on April 19, 2011 at 12:28 am

I am what some call light skinned and some call brown skinned, whatever the correct term, I am not dark skinned, and I agree with The Rain. If CD is for people of color, then let’s see the different colors and the different hair textures.

18. RomanJ on April 20, 2011 at 7:17 am

I have a problem more with what Steve Stoute alluded to. This is a marketing campaign that is specific. There’s no doubt in my mind that someone in this organization considered the fact that these women were all sort of homogeneous in tone. The reason that he keeps coming back to the mixed race concept is that he wants to show the “inclusiveness” of the brand without making it obvious that it is a “markedly” black brand. I am a business owner and I understand that. However, in our community it is a sign of exclusion to not include women of ALL skin tones.

As for the we don’t see color idea he is putting forth, [email protected]#$! I am a proud, brown-skinned African American woman and I am certain due to the history of this country, I’ve got something other than pure African in my genetic makeup. However, what I don’t need is the validation of having my genetics broken down and identified as black, french, and lord knows we love to say Indian (which for the record should be Native American!)

Steve Stoute comes from the music industry and he is one of those black men who will only be seen with a mixed race woman who cannot be clearly identified. So, he perpetuates his ignorance through the brand. As for this group of women who were chosen to be brand ambassadors here’s the skinny: Solange is Beyonce’s sister and Jay Z’s sister-in-law (they are investors in the brand); Cassie is Diddy’s jump-off/girlfriend/something and he probably lobbied her for the brand; and Selita is a recognized commodity (Victoria’s Secret) and New York party girl. She is in the in-crowd.

I don’t have a problem with any of them. However, I know that this brand should have thought better of what they were putting forth. After all, there would be no Carol’s Daughter without the African American consumer. Don’t alienate your base with your personal issues on race, Mr. Stoute…

19. Jeannette on April 21, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Seems like what Steve Stoute is trying to do is increase market share…let’s face it. Carol’s Daughter is no longer a BLACK OWNED COMPANY. Lisa Price sold out long time ago. So when that happened, you say bye bye to catering to Black women. They are trying to get that Multi-Racial, Latina paper. As always, people use the Black Community as a stepping stone, and then throw the stone across the pond when they are done with us. Follow me on Twitter: msjeannettea

• Nitaque on April 24, 2011 at 6:31 am

I’m glad you shared this info.

20. PrettyAlmondEyes on April 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm

If Carol’s Daughter has made the conscious decision to showcase the rainbow of “women of color”, they should include the Ebony to Ivory range of “women of color”. To exclude darker women is pure nonsense and insulting to one’s intelligence. If you exclude darker women from your marketing share – be prepared for darker women to exclude you from their purchasing share.

21. Debracurl on April 21, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Racism still goes on in this country and yet it begins with us. I’m a child of God no matter what color He chose for me to be. When will we stop fighting against one another and living with a slave mentality. It’s been 300 years and we are still fighting one another-WOW
    I see three beautiful women not the color of their skin.

• Mistashock on May 18, 2011 at 2:29 pm

That is NOT true. Unless you are blind, you DO see the color of their skin. THAT is the problem. In advertising, there are no mistakes. I’m sure they discussed this and came to the conclusion that these three women were the right choice. I am not questioning their choice as much as I am questioning their reasoning for that choice. I really wish the world I live in was as perfect and unbiased as yours, but it isn’t.

We are struggling everyday against bias and racism. You would think that one of “our own” would have enough fiber and courage to include all (or at least a good representative) of the colors of our beautiful queens to represent their product.

I say if they don’t represent you, don’t represent them…..and that goes for all products!

22. Debracurl on April 21, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I see three beautiful women not the color of their skin.

23. Rukjoe11 on April 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I happen to be very chocolate,but have hair that I’ve been told all my life”that mixed folks”ususally have,my children are very light complected but there is NEVER discussion about it. EVER..I believe through my own experiences that darker skinned PEOPLE are viewed differently..not as beautiful However if you aren’t in that boat you may see it as a dead or non issue or not very important,just as some white people don’t understand why there is an Ebony or Essence Magazine or a Centric and BET network! In order to get it you’ll need to acknowledge it,and admit to yourself if you’ve benefitted from an easier existence because of your light complextion. It really truly begins at home, and what you will and won’t accept.

24. JAYNE DOH! on April 23, 2011 at 8:55 pm

THIS IS NOT A LIGHT SKIN VS DARK ISSUE

THE ISSUE IS THE BS “They don’t see color anymore.

25. AzucaT on April 24, 2011 at 6:25 am

When I first saw this image (even before reading the piece) I saw diversity. I looked directly at the hair textures of the chosen ambassadors and knew “Carols Daughter”can be used on different hair types. Point blank. That is all that came to mind.
    Self confidence is key. As a woman with darker skin than the ambassadors, I am not offended because the idea of them representing product diversity does not offend me. I validate my beauty.
    I’m happy to see that the company is doing so well and continuing to grow from the small Black owned business it was.Now, if they were all blonde THEN there would be a concern. 😉
    If you are not satisfied with what you see companies doing, start something new yourself. You can do it. If that isn’t realistic for you, simply support the companies you DO admire. Be proactive, not reactive.

• Gracelynn on October 25, 2011 at 8:39 am

Well done article that. I’ll make sure to use it wiesly.

• Hawk on October 28, 2011 at 12:41 am

Wow, this is in every respect what I neeedd to know.

• Dana on July 11, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Ok, I’m all late, it being three years later and all, but wow! This is EXACTLY how I feel about the matter! Too much complaining. We have to validate our own beauty and stop worrying about being “represented” everywhere. Represent your unique, individual self. And if you want things to change, do something about it, and don’t just bitch and moan about it.

26. Presteen on May 3, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I see one color and that is lighter skinned caramel colored women with a better grade of hair to begin with. Show me a light skinned, brown skinned, and dark skinned woman with the coarse, thick break a comb type hair. Can Carol’s Daughter’s product work on the tough ethnic hair or is it just for the mixed woman with not-so-kinky hair?

• Honi on June 22, 2011 at 11:02 pm

@Presteen, we must start with the old-fashioned terms we use when describing us. You wrote “…better grade of hair…” What is a better grade of hair? You also mentioned “the coarse, thick break a comb type hair”. If you are talking about a narrow-toothed comb, those combs were not meant for beautiful coarse and nappy hair, better for the silkier type hair. All hair is beautiful. Just had to get that out. We need to try to alleviate terms like “good hair” to mean silkier hair, “bad hair” to mean coarser hair, all that. GOOD HAIR is had by ALL of us!!

27. Dgwatkins79 on May 3, 2011 at 9:52 pm

So, put some dark skinned women in that position like Angela Bassett or Regina King which wouldnt be hard at all. Why u think in the late 80’s early 90’s the supermodels were very dark. Because the world is fascinated by darker skinned men and women. Now that dark skinned men are getting their just due. Lets do the same for dark skinned women. When they’re flawless they’re waaaayy more beautiful than any fair skinned women. Thats why our darker skinned women always tryin to get a light skinned dude. Cause of their insecurity. If black step back, if light u alright. Learned that from my daddy who would be 70 if still living. It still exist. Carol’s Daughter can do a better job. Point blank period.

28. Dee Dee Russell on May 12, 2011 at 4:53 am

CD appears colorist and biased. I opened my wallet to them in the past. Wallet now stays shut to them! Like, no FLOTUS-clone on that cover? No Kelly Rowland? Naomi Cambell? Iman! JILL SCOTT? India Irie? Talk all that corporate blah blah all you want. Should have just told the truth it’s for light skin “mixed” ladies now. No big whoop. This is an opportunity for Sisters to take over where CD failed and I will seek them out and support them.

29. Lion_okitkat on May 21, 2011 at 4:09 am

This controversy to me seems to be saying that “fair skin” people of color aren’t Black. They may be “fair skinned” but they are still BLACK.

30. Jackie Berry on May 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Let’s see how her SALES are affected NOW!

31. Jackie Berry on May 27, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I see that there are NO dark skinned women in any ads for Carol’s Daughter, even since the beginning of the business!  Check it out for yourself!  How dare she!

32. GuiltyPleasuresEnt.com on May 28, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Please add dark skimmed ladies to all advertising because you damned sure want our dollars.

33. Queitta on June 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

When we really care, we take to respect. Dark-skin women are not extinct and it should not be so hard to find us represented as beautiful inside and out. I am disappointed that CD offers excuses to overlooking the obvious. Perhaps they really don’t understand; I would be interested to know where dark-skinned women are positioned in ther company. No disrespect to black women, just curious.

• Queitta on June 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Oh and btw, I love all of the ladies represented in the new campaign. It would just be nice to see some representation on myself also included.

34. Independent Thinker on August 19, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Racism and colorism are real problems in America. It’s obvious that CD’s new “ambassadors” are women just about everyone in America would label “Black.” It’s also obvious that in America, those in power (regardless of race) will choose “lighter” skinned people as models, believing they have chosen a genuinely heterogenous group of women to represent a brand.  “Colorlessness” is really how White-identified people see themselves and this new ad campaign reflects this pervasive understanding of Whiteness in America.  Whitness is invisible and normal and really not a race, according to White-identified people, who are rarely referred to by race (i.e. the routine reference to women and minorities).   What CD actually has done is simply chosen women who represent more of a White-identified beauty asthetic in order to appeal to White-identified people AND new Black-identified customers, while hoping to maintain their existing customer base. Let’s be honest: Many Black-identified people (men and women) still believe lighter-skinned women are more attractive than their darker-skinned counterparts. As CD gets bigger and attracts more attention from not only White-identified, but also Black-identified people, who have bought into this thinking, it will develop ad campaigns that exploit this wide-spread racist belief.   For CD to become a “mainstream” company, it has to assimilate a White standard of beauty–because it’s THE standard . Now, it may not be the standard for the posters here, but it is the standard that dominates the media and the minds of millions who do not think critically about color politics. We can only hope that there are more people who see the color politics here for what they are.  And, let’s be real, even natural hair has been assimilated into this standard of White-identified beauty. How? Only certain types of natural hair are perceived as beautiful (curly rather than tightly coiled; styled and cultivated “locks” and “sister locks”  rather than uncultivated dredlocks, for example) and CD has always known this.

35. Klizzove on September 11, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Wow. White companies get it though. They get that all shades should be represented even if it took them long to understand that, they still got it. Look at Cover Girl, Maybeline, heck… look at Vogue! Yea we have a long way to go and trust me, I’m not really the type to think on the terms of color lines but lets be real for one minute- this wasn’t a coincidence. I’d like to think that Carol’s Daughter would be the first black company to show varying shades of color. And yes, this topic is still relevant because when you’re selling a product it is important to be inclusive and show that all can enjoy what you’re trying to sell especially your core demographic.

There’s a huge amount of psychology involved in marketing. And while I believe that this Ad campaign will only create a divide if we let it, I also believe that companies that are selling a product are responsible for representing the demographic they want money from. If all you’re going to show is light skinned women then it’s only a matter of time before a lot people start to believe that that’s the only type of woman that can benefit from your product and thus the only type of woman that should buy your product. If their demographic is ethnic women then ethnic women of varying shades and walks of life need to be shown and that’s one thing I can say that Cover Girl is starting to get right. I’d actually be more happy if they showed a Jewish woman with tight curly hair, a black woman with type 4a hair and an Indian woman with Indian textured hair (I say that because I couldn’t think of another word at the moment). Those are all different ethnicities. I know that this is an African American based company well then all sorts of African American women need to be represented. This isn’t being blown out of proportion this is real. It’s not a matter of holding us back is a matter of moving forward.

36. Delphia on October 25, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Yeah that’s what I’m tlkanig about baby–nice work!

37. Malinda on October 27, 2011 at 11:30 pm

As Chalire Sheen says, this article is “WINNING!”

38. gigi on September 2, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Carols Daughter ad is in poor taste. I think that Carols Daughter pay more attention to the women who buy its products. Why should black women support a company that does not care about them.
    Carols Daughter is no longer black owned. The company was sold to Pegasus Capital Advisors in 2010. (White Owned) Lisa Price is not the president of the company anymore. Richard Dante (White) became the president in 2010. Lisa is just an employee and investor who has no real power when it comes to the decision making process

We should support (real black owned) firms that love beautiful black women of all shades. Also, the products are full of chemicals why pay premium dollars for junk.

39. Talia on October 23, 2014 at 11:49 am

I think having a brand purely for black people whether they are light skinned or dark skinned is RACIST. This wouldn’t be okay if you created a brand purely for white people. God racism is so backwards.