Kwame Kilpatrick, Former Detroit Mayor, Writing Tell-All Book; Will It Include an Apology?

Kwame Kilpatrick, the disgraced and imprisoned former mayor of Detroit, not only imploded his own brilliant political career because of supreme arrogance and corruption, he ignited the blaze that consumed a powerful black political dynasty. Now, he wants to write a tell-all book detailing it.

As Detroit teeters on the edge of fiscal viability and has become an urban wasteland of crime-ridden streets and a dilapidated infrastructure, Kilpatrick is releasing a biography late this summer titled Surrendered: The Rise, Fall and Revelation of Kwame Kilpatrick.

The book should actually be titled Made to Surrender under a Mountain of State and Federal Evidence of Corruption That Impaled the Heart of Detroit.

Unlike infamous former Washington, D.C., Mayor Marion Barry, Kilpatrick doesn’t plan a return to any campaign trail once he’s released from prison, where he’s serving a five-year sentence for obstruction of justice and violating probation. But at least he admitted that his wrongdoing helped spiral his hometown deeper into the abyss it’s been trying to crawl out of, though that’s little solace to the residents who can’t afford to leave.

“Yes, I broke the law,” he said.

No kidding.

Kilpatrick also detailed the violence and suffering that he’s witnessed since being incarcerated. As a result, Kilpatrick is now petitioning for early release because of “good behavior” while behind bars. To help pay the $1 million in fines he owes the court, “Any money that I make — any dime, any penny I make — will go to pay restitution,” says Kilpatrick. “One of the things I’ve learned over the past year is to be a man of my word.”

The timing is a little off, if you ask Detroiters. But at least he won’t ever again seek political office, not that he’d ever have a chance to get close enough to smell the mayoral chambers.

“I don’t want to work for anybody ever again. I need to work and be in my own company,” he told the Associated Press. “I have set up a great deal of opportunities for myself and opportunities to first make reconciliation to the city of Detroit. More than anything else, I have been given a great amount of gifts, and there are people, fortunately, who want for me to help them.”

Too bad he didn’t have this attitude when the people of Detroit looked to him for help before the scandal cost the city tens of millions of desperately needed dollars.

–terry shropshire

1. Ad9 on June 6, 2011 at 2:36 pm

“urban wasteland of crime-ridden streets”?! Really? Wow.  Born & raised in the “D”, that is such a wide generalization about Detroit.  It is by no means an urban wasteland or full of crime-ridden streets.  We typically receive this negligent stereotype from those that have NEVER stepped foot into Detroit.  SMH.

• Tfenner on June 6, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Please tell me your joking! Its not negligent  stereotyping that falls on the city. Its not fiction, its fact. Your city breeds a criminal element because your former mayor and now author(smirk!) played the role model and representative for its youth and citizens to follow. Oh! also giving a free pass to the criminal faction of this major metropolis(smirk!).

The last two things that came from detroit was car industry and motown, these are facts not fiction. Its only redeeming pluses. Gimme a break defending D-town. Hey! but i understand if i want to find a good a card, dice game or enjoy the company of a call girl. Detriot is the city. Cheers!

2. Daniel Ferguson III on June 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

3. Daniel Ferguson III on June 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

First let me say that Kwame Malik Kilpatrick is my brother , I’am married to his sister ! The brother did not IMPLODE his own career ! And to say “because of supreme arrogance and corruption . Terry I ask , have you EVER met or INTERVIEWED Kwame ? I know you haven’t ,cause had you ,you would know the brother is NEITHER ARROGANT OR CORRUPT !  Having googled your name I know see CLEARLY ! I ask you TERRY SHROPSHIRE A.K.A ROYALE T or what have you ! What happened to truth in reporting ! And writing with Integrity (completeness;wholeness 2.unimpaired condition;soundness 3.honesty, sincerity.) A real reporter shouldn’t report on TABLOID JOURNALISM ! You would do a better job for your people , If you would actually come to DETROIT and do A REAL INTERVIEW KMK !  I challenge you to do a fair and balanced story on the brother ! AND NOT CONTINUE THIS TABLOID ,BLOGGER, IRRESPONSIBLE JOURNALISM THAT THE MEDIA PARTNERSHIP PROPAGANDA MACHINE HERE IN THE DETROIT METROPOLITAN AREA HAS RAN FOR THE LAST 11 YRS !                                          How can you say ” the book should actually be titled Made to surrender under a mountain of state and federal evidence of corruption that impaled the heart of detroit !  LISTEN I HAVE A REAL PROBLEM WITH A PERSON THAT WOULD WRITE SOMETHING LIKE THAT ! REAL FUCKING PROBLEM ! YOU TERRY SHROPSHIRE ARE A OPPORTUNIST ; 1. the adapting of ones actions, thoughts ,etc, to circumstances , AS IN POLITICS ! , WITH OUT REGARD FOR PRINCIPLES !                                                          TERRIBLE REPORTING ! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO HAVE EVEN WROTE THIS BULLSHIT ! AND YOUR EDITORS LOOK LIKE SOME DAMN FOOLS ALSO ! SMDH @ FAKE NEGROS TODAY !

• Tfenner on June 6, 2011 at 7:04 pm

First of all lets get one thing straight! Your brother in law is a mutha fucka and you are a sorry ass who is defending this ARROGANT ASSHOLE! Did you read or examined the evidence? know you didn’t obivously he squandered his political career with a scandal that embarrased the city and for that fact African Americans that trusted him. Then lets not talk about the innocent lady that had her life taken, oh! I’m sorry bruh you would probably call her a “hoe”, however she does have a name and she is no longer with us.  I hope he writes about the shit he did in office, I want to hear all the seedy details. So he is writing a autobiopraphy, this no doubt will be a good crime novel.

• Rose on September 9, 2011 at 4:09 am

Kwame was the best Detroit had. He brought so much money here because he knew what to do. as I remember Mayor Young had a baby out of wed-lock and tried to get out of paying child support.

4. Rose on September 9, 2011 at 4:19 am

I was almost a juror in Bobby Furgerson trail, but when I told the judge that I would not be following the crowd and i was willing to stand alone if I thought I was right. They got rid of me quick?

• Rose on September 10, 2011 at 2:31 am

Kwame does not owe anyone an apology….but his wife and God…..unless he was having an affair with you also. How many times does a person has to say they’re sorry, before they are  allowed to tell you where you can go.