There’s been a lot of buzz in the mane streets about model-turned-actress Tae Heckard’s self-acclaimed, trendsetting hairstyle. She has given an edgy twist to the classic ballerina bun and dubbed it the “Ninja Bun,” which is placed high at the top of the head in a semi messy style and perfectly grouped with a bold-colored lip and off-the-wall confidence. Why is it called the “Ninja Bun?” Heckard said via Twitter, “cuz I am a ninja. And I don’t comb my hair. And it’s usually a shenannie on top of my head.”
Heckard has rocked the look in two different ways: all gathered up together on the top of her head or a smaller, half-up bun with effortless loose waves doing the rest of the work. Fans have been sending twitpics to Heckard showing off their own Ninja Buns and fun lips to match. To achieve the same effect, follow these quick-and-easy instructions and also check out the YouTube video tutorial by beauty blogger Miss L Bailey. –mckenzie harris
1. Moisturize your hair with a conditioning moisturizer to keep your hair shiny and protected from any breakage.
2. Gather all of your hair with your hands to the top of your head. Use a brush or wide-tooth comb to smooth out any bumps.
3. Secure your hair in a ponytail with an elastic band the same color as your hair to keep your bun in place.
4. Going whichever direction you desire, take the hair left out from the ponytail and wrap it around the elastic going in a clockwise motion until all of the hair has been wrapped completely around.
5. Secure any loose ends with bobby pins the same color as your hair. You do not want the bobby pins to show.
6. The bun can be as loose or tight as you would like. Heckard says “the messier the better.”
7. Apply a statement-colored lipstick like a vibrant coral or pink, and you’re ready to go.
What do you think about the Ninja Bun? Would you rock this look?