White Red Lobster customer denies writing ‘N-word’ on receipt for black waitress

Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 2.32.17 AM

A racial fiasco at Red Lobster has become a battle of “he say/she say.” As previously reported, Toni Jenkins, a black waitress at a Red Lobster in Nashville, said that she served a white couple who were rude to her.

They eventually told Jenkins to put all of their food in a to-go box. When Jenkins returned to get the receipt, she found the words, “none n–r” scribbled on the paper. She posted the receipt on Facebook and the post was shared thousands of times. Jenkins was also suspended by Red Lobster for posting the picture on Facebook.

Now the attorney for the white customer who allegedly wrote the ‘N-word’ is speaking out. Richard Dugger claims that his client, Devin Barnes, didn’t write the racial slur. Barnes admits to writing “none” and his signature, however.

Barnes said that he and his wife has received threats and Dugger hopes to hire a handwriting specialist to uncover who actually wrote the racial slur.

Jenkins stands by her claim that Barnes wrote the slur. Red Lobster has investigated the incident and Jenkins will return to work this week.

1. Genesis 3:22 on September 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Since it is a “he said/she said” incident, she may well be the one held financially accountable to the customer. She has ruined his name and life now by posting the receipt on social media, whether he is guilty (I don’t know) or not. I feel bad for her if this is true, but she now faces a potential libel lawsuit.

2. Chauntreas Walker on September 13, 2013 at 1:51 pm

I don’t know why, on one wouldn’t have known his name if he or his lawyer didn’t put it out there. She didn’t post the whole receipt, and his signature was not clear… So to me they are at fault.

• Notya Biznes on September 16, 2013 at 9:33 am

If you look at the receipt, you can see his name. It’s last/first and says barnes/devin in the top right of the pic. I felt bad for her until the customer came and spoke out. he admitted writing none, and now if you look at the N’s, they are not the same. I think the little girl was looking for some twitter hits and now has gotten more than she bargained for.

• Hans on October 21, 2013 at 10:49 pm

You’re an obvious idiot. Her father posted the message AND there are now two writing samples of his on the web as well. It’s obviously his writing.

• Notya Biznes on October 24, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Yeah, and that’s why the guy is suing Red Lobster. That’s also why SHE SAID, if he didn’t write it, she believes him. Further, the patron and his wife just sent samples of his and his wife’s handwriting to a forensic
          document examiner, who determined that their handwriting was not a match
          to the one on the receipt. Get your facts straight before you fucking come for me, idiot.

• Notya Biznes on October 24, 2013 at 3:30 pm

And ANOTHER THING, the article above CLEARLY STATES “She posted the receipt on Facebook and the post was shared thousands of
          times.” SHE! Not her father, got it moron??

3. remoten on September 16, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I don’t see the difficulty in who should be guilty. In the south you not only see it in writing bur some of these under cover racists even brag about it thinking it won’t be told. And once it’s publicized the guilty party always comes forth making claims of innocence when nobody knew who they were in the first place. A big mouth and cowardess are built in with these type of people.

4. Quin on October 10, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Maybe they didn’t tip because they just wanted an order to go. It was a large order, so they should have tipped regardless. I’m withholding my judgement on who wrote the N-word because I don’t know either of these people or their characters. It isn’t good character to post something like that online, though, to ruin someone’s life and reputation over a nasty word. There are better ways to handle it. I hope he did write it because then he will deserve it, but if he didn’t. . . he should sue. If he was guilty would he be hiring an attorney and trying so hard to clear his name? Someone knows these people and knows, by their past behavior, if he is racist.

5. Paul on October 22, 2013 at 1:43 pm

You people are so gullible. The handwriting for the signature and tip are clearly different the the other word written on here. This one will be easy, if I were him I would hire a handwriting expert to check this one out. I am willing to bet that the handwriting on the slur matches hers or her fathers.