Taye Diggs responds to quote that being around black women made him miss his white wife

tayediggs2Taye Diggs was torched like a matchstick when a parody website produced the above quote and attributed it to Diggs, setting off a firestorm of controversy. Women coast to coast believed that the Best Man and Best Man Holiday star actually said it — or at the very least, believes the quote — creating a typhoon of a backlash from scorned black women.

The quote was taken from the satirical site CreamBMP but  swirled around as true:

“Let’s just say its not a stereotype that black women are less submissive and harder to deal with. Being around all them black women made me really miss my wife.”

Stumbling out of a New York bar fresh off a world wind press tour in Los Angeles with wife Idina Menzel in tow Taye spoke briefly on the cast and breakaway success of The Best Man Holiday.

“Somebody will be upset and say I got rich and deserted my female people; No offense, but the only black woman I ever loved is my mama” he is quoted as saying in the past. Diggs, who is married to but separated from, his Caucasian wife Idina Menzel, responded to the controversy in order to deflect the many arrows being shot in his direction.

Take a look at what he had to say followed by people’s thoughts below:

tayediggs3

Pages: 1 2

1. Steffie on November 26, 2013 at 2:35 pm

this so-called mistaken quote highlights that there is definitely a MAJOR smear campaign has been raging against Afr-Amer Women…esp since Michelle Obama has been First Lady of the most powerful nation in the world, but even before then. Since many Afr-Am Men think they have benefited from it, they have become it’s biggest instigators. Afr-Am Women need to rethink to whom they will continue to give their support.

• marc m. on November 26, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Smear campaign? Black men are a part of it? Many black men are gaining from it? Really? Bull. Even if he did say it I hardly think Taye Diggs speaks for the majority of black men. He speaks for Taye Diggs and no one else. The majority of black men love black women, date black women and marry black women. Taye Diggs is the exception, not the rule. His opinion means nothing, unless you’re one of the many black women who desire to be Mrs. Diggs.

• Steffie on November 26, 2013 at 9:23 pm

BE MRS DIGGS???? EWWWWW!!!! I’m looking at the latest trends not at him. Be with whoever you love, but don’t hate Afr-Amer women. If you are in denial about how Afr-Amer men think they are benefiting from and perpetuating negative stereotypes of Afr-Amer women, then you are part of the PROBLEM, not the solution.

2. Kishmir L. Johnson-Burke on November 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I do not know if that quote really came from Taye, but according to the same article, Taye said the only Black woman he loves is his mother. Oh well Taye, please do not be stupid and foolish and speak such dangerous hypocritical words. You are a Black man; are you not!!! Uh, I just do not know what to say to you or about you.

• Melanie V. on November 30, 2013 at 7:36 am

TAY apparently met & fell in love with his wife at an early age. Maybe he grew up around male relatives & his mom was the only Black woman he was close to. Exactly what is so wrong with that?

Honestly, it sounds like he didn’t say the quote, so I don’t know why people are raking him over the coals. I root for him & his wife bec. they are married & have a child, so I hope they get over whatever their issue is. *and Yes, I am a Black woman*

3. Jeannette Harkin on November 26, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Maybe some black women need to pick up the clue phone…..just sayin!

• [email protected] on November 26, 2013 at 9:28 pm

perfect example of ignorant stereotypes. there are women in EACH AND EVERY ETHNIC GROUP with attitude, meek, mean, nice, aggressive, submissive, etc. Like the song says: ‘Free your mind and the rest will follow. Be color blind, don’t be so shallow’

4. nastinupe on November 26, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I’m engaged to a black woman and love her dearly. Nobody is perfect and every “race” or group has their issues, pros, and cons. I’d rather have a woman that gives it to me straight rather than some passive aggressive sneaky back stabbing chick. Black women have a little attitude but at least you know where you stand with them.

5. Arthur McDonald on December 2, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Shoulda known that this would create an interesting discussion….
    @dc47a7fb5b1c89600abbe4c15b858d24:disqus , there have been smear campaigns against African Americans as a whole, including the family structure, so that we would lose our power, sense of identity, and love for one another. Now at the end of the day, Mr. Diggs is a celeb, which means he’s gonna get more attention and mudslinging his way than is really necessary. Now, I’ve yet to see anything be even minutely effective in smearing Mrs. Obama’s name, and though many have tried, Oprah can still reign over any negative press…thing is, people are gonna keep trying to put walls up for us all as a people, whether some groups understand it or not, but many of us still stay on top. We’re an awesome group, people know that, and some even want to be a part of that. I just feel like the post from that site is where the problem lies moreso than what Mr. Diggs may not have said, because if it IS false, then THEY’RE the perpetuators of the stereotypes…which is what the media tends to do anyways.