Mother of 3 dies from smoking too much marijuana


A mother of three has become the first woman in the U.K. to die from smoking too much marijuana. According to Mirror, Gemma Moss, 31, was smoking marijuana in her home when she collapsed.

Moss was found on her bedroom floor by her 15-year-old son’s girlfriend. The girl called 911 and Moss was pronounced dead on the scene. Authorities found a marijuana joint at the scene.

The coroner concluded that Moss had high levels of THC (the mind altering ingredient in marijuana) in her blood stream and died from cannabis abuse.

Although death from marijuana overdose is extremely rare, there are side effects to using the drug. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, marijuana use can be linked to anxiety, depression and dependency.

A person would need to consume a third of their body weight in marijuana to be at risk for death, according to American Scientist.

A.R. Shaw
A.R. Shaw

A.R. Shaw is an author and journalist who documents culture, politics, and entertainment. He has covered The Obama White House, the summer Olympics in London, and currently serves as Lifestyle Editor for Rolling Out magazine. Follow his journey on Twitter @arshaw and Instagram @arshaw23.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required