Blue Ivy’s ‘Comb her hair’ petition just another sign of black self-hatred

bluivy

The criticism of Blue Ivy Carter has reached a new level. After a picture surfaced of Jay Z, Blue Ivy and Beyoncé,  Twitter users voiced their displeasure about Blue Ivy’s natural hair.

The Twitter users blasted Jay Z and Beyoncé for allowing Blue Ivy to have a natural hairstyle. In an attempt to force Beyoncé to style Blue Ivy’s hair, a Change.org petition has been submitted.

The post reads: “As a woman who understands the importance of hair care. It’s disturbing to watch a child suffering from the lack of hair moisture. The parents of Blue Ivy. Sean Carter, aka Jay-Z and Beyoncé has [sic] failed at numerous attempts of doing Blue Ivy [sic] hair. This matter has escalated to the child developing matted dreads and lint balls. Please let’s get the word out to properly care for Blue Ivy’s hair.”

Although the petition could be viewed as a joke, it reveals how many in the black community have been forced to accept the standards of mainstream beauty. These ideas stem from a Eurocentric point of view that affects how other cultures view and feel about themselves.

In recent years, some black women have embraced natural hairstyles, but there are still others who continue to believe that straight or permed hair is the standard. These misinformed views have become so entrenched that black babies are targeted by those who feel natural hair is unacceptable.

It’s a sad form of self-hate that continues to be perpetuated in the black community. The backlash over Blue Ivy’s uncombed hair reveals how much we still hurt as a people.

1. KiraGatesonuci on June 12, 2014 at 12:09 pm

as Thelma
    explained I cannot believe that a stay at home mom can make $7420 in four weeks
    on the internet . more info here R­e­x­1­0­.­C­O­M­

2. guest1 on June 12, 2014 at 12:23 pm

HATE/SELF HATE FOR BLACK WOMEN AND GIRLS IS REAL.

3. lou on June 12, 2014 at 1:03 pm

how is this self image issues on our behalf? if blue ivys own MOTHER BEYONCE IS WEARING WHITE LIKE HAIR .. BLEACH, LONG STRINGY HAIR RESEMBLEING white folks personification of beautitul hair it seems that beyonce put a lot of time into buying the look . to project a cross over flair , she didnt have to go blonde for us to like her if she is truely talented , this aurgues the point of why its not good to blow up a celebrity to mega stardom due to looks , micheal jackson didnt get there cause of his dancing skills and he had successful run until really late in his career when all the child molestation charges come . but beyonce trying to gain mega stardom by , non acceptance of her black face and hair. by straightening her wigs and wearing white makeup to lighten .but yet we are the with SELF HATE ISSUES? REALLY?

4. lou on June 12, 2014 at 1:10 pm

thats why people laugh at mariah carey all the time she does the same, she is so busy trying to adapt a marilyn monroe look of curvy sexy and breast showing she forgot that little bit of black in her is not a little bit to whites its still 3% and you get no respect . so you better bring your A GAME,mariah is so talented ,and can whoop the hell outta beyonce on a mike , but she clouds her own talents with bikini pics on instagram, playing momie in 4inch stelitos ! and all the , air headed things she do ,and ignorant conversation that makes no since trying to be a dumb blonde and why? she wants blacks respect but she project the most trash of white women trailer park type ,dolly parton ignorant costumes . i feel sorry for nick cannon cause he is lame and stupid and should have told her to change her image so people can stiop thinking she a joke , ever notice mariah has no hollywood friends? female etc . she is aloner cause she dont blend with black or white she dont want to be seen hanging out with ethier cause one would criticize her motives and why she choose one over the other . she is one comfused chick . and her kids will suffer for it later trust me nick will have his hands full when mariah becomes a baby moma and not a wife .
    she is so stupid just like beyonce controlled

5. JeannineFoster on June 12, 2014 at 1:31 pm

This article is stupid!! No one is suggesting that Blue Ivy get a perm. The suggestion is that her parents should not let her look like a refugee while they are dressed to the nines. As a person who wears natural hair, there is no need to succumb to mainstream society and perm her hair. Just comb it!! There are plenty of natural hair care products that can be used so that she can look neat and presentable. There is no black self hatred in wanting a child not to look a hot mess every time she’s in public. Beyonce and Jay-Z have too much money for Blue Ivy to look like that. It’s a shame that it took a petition for them to realize something that is second nature to sensible parents.

6. Likewaterforchoc on June 12, 2014 at 2:49 pm

And I also hate the fact that this “petition” has gotten mainstream (white) media attention. Start a petition for crimes against black women or the lack of coverage for black and missing children.

7. jamiepeters333 on June 12, 2014 at 6:36 pm

I’m a big fan of R&B music and when I discovered Palm Beach Broadcasting’s R&B station, I was the happiest person on earth. My stereo is always tuned on X102.3 http://www.thex1023.com . You can stream live or download all your favorite R&B music.

8. hidaya on June 14, 2014 at 11:39 am

black self-hate!!! leave other people’s children alone. her hair is strong and healthy. what about yours?

• Tee on June 14, 2014 at 4:04 pm

As a black women I do not see self hatred because of the look of this child’s hair. This is how our hair is. It takes self love and awareness to not pull on a child’s head, straight inch the babies hair, forced painful hair braiding or trying to force rubber banded hairstyles which hurts the scalp and impedes the natural growth of a child’s hair. After years of bleaching, hair chemicals and someone ripping on her head Beyoncé knows that to let the child’s hair grow free is the best thing. I am sure there is some expensive oils and conditioners on that child’s beautiful naturally black spiral curl hair. It is you who hate blacks because you definitely are not aware of the beauty of the natural spiral curl in black peoples hair and if you’re a black person I feel very sad for your slave mentality. It took years for me not to be brain washed about my hair, from the chemical straightening, the pain and the hair breakage etc I had enough trying to force my hair to be something it didn’t want to be. When I decided to let my hair grow naturally and started really taking care of my hair I started to see the beauty and to love my hair. No other race of people go pulling on their children’s hair, putting in rubber bands and balls in their hair to hide the texture. Most people are correct for Putting in nice healthy conditioner and letting their children hair Grow free, it is what’s best. I’m sorry that you hate your self or you hate black people but I applaud Beyoncé and her family to know better than that. Maybe when the child gets older braids etc would be fine.

• Tee on June 14, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Oh yeah and must I say auntie Solange Knowles

• Tee on June 14, 2014 at 4:06 pm

NOTt for hidaya!!!! I’m sorry I hit the reply instead of going down to comment. I agree with you 100%

• Tee on June 14, 2014 at 4:28 pm

A mistake hidaya, sorry! I agree with you 100% I’m new to this I made a mistake and hit reply before going down to hit comment I agree with you all the way

9. Angilyne Bailey on November 28, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I was yelled at for not doing my unkept hair and it made me feel bad about myself. I think as a black couple they’re being good parents for their daughter. It really affects a child’s self esteem, and I’m very disappointed in the black community’s ignorance for their lack of embracing their black culture. Kinky hair and all its glory.