White news anchor calls black women ‘colored’ while live on air

burdo

Michelle Burdo of CBS46 in Atlanta used the term “colored woman” while live on air. According to a report by Access Atlanta, Burdo was hosting a segment on “CBS Better Mornings Atlanta” about summer hair tips when she used the outdated term.

While attempting to make a point about having kinky hair similar to a black female hair expert, Burdo pulled on the black woman’s hair and said, “I’m not a colored woman but I have kinky hair just like her and when you straighten it everyday its…” she paused and smile. The black female hair expert finished Burdo’s sentence by saying, “healthier.”

The comment created a firestorm on Twitter and Facebook as users accused Burdo of being ignorant and a racist for referring to black women as “colored.”

CBS46 news director Lane Michaelsen forced Burdo to issue an apology on air. The apology was issued on July 1.

“Yesterday, I made a pretty insensitive remark during one of our segments here on ‘Better Mornings Atlanta.’ I apologize. Once again, I truly want to say from the bottom of my heart that I really am sorry about that comment. I made that comment in reference to my hair color, but I used an inappropriate term,” Burdo said.

CBS46 has yet to reveal if they will reprimand Burdo for her actions.

1. SueAltringhamlat on July 3, 2014 at 10:37 am

upto I saw the draft of $7025
    , I be certain …that…my mom in-law woz like they say truley making money
    part-time on their apple labtop. . there sisters roommate had bean doing this
    less than 8 months and at present repayed the debts on their house and bought a
    brand new volvo . look at here now M­o­n­e­y­d­u­t­i­e­s­.­C­O­M­

2. Nehes Ba'a Rayay on July 3, 2014 at 1:16 pm

why would Negroids get offended when we refer to themselves as “People of COLOR”??? #theblindinglightofmisinformationmustend

3. montgomeryjhm on July 3, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Black used the word colored for a long ti me. I don’t to be referred to as black. Blacks call each other the N word.

4. Hidaya on July 3, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I have been called worse things by other blacks. Next topic!

5. Ruth on July 3, 2014 at 4:29 pm

this is SO blown out of proportion. Colored is not a bad word for African-Americans. Come on folks, there are so many more serious issues that to spend another second on this is a big waste of time and energy. She should NOT be punished, she should be applauded for joining the movement of Euro and Latin Americans who admit that they have some of the same hair issues as AAs do. They’re even admitting more that they’ve worn wigs and weaves far more than AA women, but they weren’t as open about it.

• Jaworski on July 4, 2014 at 9:13 am

When it comes to black people there is an attitude out here of just get over it…. I don’t understand this. ..If this lady was Jewish people wouldn’t be saying get over it…there would be a backlash… If she/ the host would’ve said kike hair is kinky that’s out of order just the same… How can one view this as not offensive?

6. roycektetreault on July 4, 2014 at 11:08 am

before I looked at the check of $8543 , I accept
    …that…my neighbour woz like they say truley earning money parttime on their
    apple labtop. . there sisters neighbour has done this 4 only 19 months and by
    now cleared the debts on their house and bourt a gorgeous Ford . visit this
    site C­a­s­h­d­u­t­i­e­s­.­C­O­M­

7. venus baptiste on July 5, 2014 at 6:00 am

Yet many of us welcome calling one another niggers. ….black people