Traveling to foreign lands can be one of the most fulfilling experiences anyone can hope to have in their lifetime. Seeing different cultures and customs up close can give you a different perspective and new appreciation on things you originally took for granted. But one must remember when traveling abroad that different lands also have different health risks.
Here are a 10 tips to keep in mind when traveling abroad.
- Do a little basic research on the country you plan to visit.
- Deep vein thrombosis (blood clots) is always a risk when on long plane, train, bus and car rides. Be sure to move around and stretch whenever possible.
- Be sure that all your immunizations are up to date before traveling and double check with your doctor.
- Make a medical list that has all vital info such as allergies, blood type, main doctor’s contact info.
- Invest in travel health and accident insurance.
- Pack insect repellent and sunscreen.
- Make sure food is well-cooked and/or factory-packaged, and drinks are sealed.
- Wash your hands frequently and use hand sanitizer, especially before eating.
- Don’t overdo it on alcohol. The idea is to remain alert and in control.
- If you get sick while in another country, contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate for their assistance.
With these tips in mind, your visit to exotic countries and lands should be one to remember.