Raven-Symoné explains controversial African American comment

Raven-Symone - Race Cover

Raven-Symoné went from beloved former child star to public enemy number one in the eyes of the black community after she commented on OWN’s “Where Are They Now?” that she didn’t want to be labeled as “African-American” or “gay.”

During her interview with Oprah Winfrey, Raven-Symone opened up about her sexuality and claimed that she no longer wanted to be labeled based on her race or sexual orientation.

“I don’t want to be labeled ‘gay.’ I want to be labeled a human who loves human. I’m tired of being labeled. I’m an American! I’m not an African-American. I’m an American,” Raven said.

“I will say this: I don’t know where my roots go to. I don’t know how far back they go. I can’t go on … you know… I don’t know how far back and I don’t know what country in Africa I’m from. But I do know that my roots are in Louisiana. I’m an American. And that’s a colorless person — because we are all people. I have lots of things running through my veins,” she added.

Almost immediately after the interview aired, Raven suffered an angry backlash from black fans who claimed her comments were offensive.

Now, days after the controversy began, Raven has sent a statement out to the press, clarifying her statement and saying that she never denied her race.

Read what Raven had to say after the cut. – nicholas robinson

Pages: 1 2

1. Nehes Ba'a Rayay on October 9, 2014 at 7:50 am

She’s just Ignorant, Bless her Lil Heart… #theblindinglightofmisinformationmustendintheNewSunCycle

• Hatestupidity on October 9, 2014 at 11:00 am

Why is she ignorant? Oh because she says that’s she black no AA, her family is from LA which is a melting pot. She doesn’t know where her root are and I doubt if you do. So saying that she does not consider herself to be AA is not ignorant.

• lrush on October 9, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Isn’t she from Georgia?

• lrush on October 9, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Why would she be ignorant for saying she’s American and not African American? Regardless of where she’s from most “black” people’s roots who are born in the U.S. are at LEAST 4th generation, which would make them American. American is her nationality, not her race. So if she’s ignorant I guess that means whites are too because I’ve never met a white person born and raised in the U.S. say I’m European American. FYI the American nationality is not exclusive to whites.

• Phil Laytio on March 24, 2015 at 8:08 pm

I think the ignorance may be with you.

• Nehes Ba'a Rayay on March 25, 2015 at 9:02 am

Do elaborate. 🙂

• Nehes Ba'a Rayay on March 31, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Are you a Negroid?

• Phil Laytio on April 1, 2015 at 12:08 am

Nope, a white American.

• Nehes Ba'a Rayay on April 1, 2015 at 7:50 am

Oh, okay… That explains it. Do you know what race Raven is?

• Phil Laytio on April 1, 2015 at 8:58 am

Black Irish.

2. Dee on October 9, 2014 at 11:25 pm

It’s okay for Raven to express whatever she feels. Just stop going on Black Girls Rock and accepting those awards.

3. Let's Call a spade a spade on October 12, 2014 at 8:59 pm

Well black ppl aren’t originally from America, they’re from Africa. So even if u don’t know where your ancestors are from, they’re still from Africa, so that makes u African American. If she has a form and it asks her to check one, will she not check African American? Like for real, don’t be extra. Baby u black! No one looks at her and says oh she’s just a person. It’s human nature, everyone is categorized. If she doesn’t know her ancestry, she certainly has the means and resources to find out if she wanted to. She could go on that show ‘who do you think you are’ where they find out the ancestry of celebrities.

• Phil Laytio on April 1, 2015 at 12:09 am

What about Australia, they got black aborigines and New Guinea too.