Skip to content

Soap opera star Kristoff St. John blames hospital for son’s suicide

Photo Credit: Kristoff St. John's Facebook (Kristoff St. John)

Photo cedit: Kristoff St. John’s Facebook 

Last year, “The Young and the Restless” star Kristoff St. John’s 24-year-old son, Julian St. John, tragically committed suicide while staying at a mental facility. Although it’s been months since his son’s death, St. John is now speaking out against the hospital and blaming the facility for his son’s death.

As previously reported, Julian asphyxiated himself with a plastic bag at La Casa Mental Health Hospital in Long Beach, California, in November 2014.

According to TMZ, St. John has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the facility for failing to properly monitor his son while he was on suicide watch.

According to the lawsuit, Julian had tried to kill himself in the same manner just three weeks before his death. And although he was at a high risk for suicide, St. John says the facility failed to remove trash bags from his room.

In the suit, St. John also claims that the staff falsified records about Julian. Nurses were supposed to check on Julian every 15 minutes to make sure he wasn’t harming himself, but records show they were instead logging welfare checks.

According to the records, Julian was pronounced dead at 1:44 p.m., but nurses had logged six welfare checks between 2 p.m. and 3:15 p.m.

St. John says the facility was negligent of his son’s needs and that if they had “acted with even the slighted regard for Julian’s safety, he would still be alive today.”

Our sympathies goes out to St. John over this tragedy and we hope he finds the closure he’s looking for.



1 Comment

  1. Lyn Barron on May 31, 2015 at 8:25 pm

    This so tragic and preventable. I feel so bad for his loved ones. I worked as a psych nurse for over 15 years and have seen this type of thing (hospital hiding their responsibility) many times. Until my mother died hours after being discharged from the very prestigious hospital that I worked at, I thought the hospital would have the integrity to tell the family really what happened to their loved ones. My mother’s chart told another story. Unbelievable the lies and how they tried to cover-up. They also discharged hours before the first anniversary of her mother’s death. She had been in that hosp. for a few days and during that time she had been in restraints and was on an antipsychotic med. my Mom died on the anniversary of her mother’s death. She was on 7C- a cardiac unit. I worked two floors up on the psych unit. I saw a young man that looked a lot like St. John’s son, having a lot of trouble on the unit where I worked. I was not his nurse but I believe I answered the phone (mother called) and handed to the nurse in charge of this young man. I heard later that he had taken his clothes out of his drawers and folded them neatly on his bed. His nurse did NOT put him on 15 min. checks (protocol when someone needs to be watched a little closer). He was on 30 min.(per State Law) and the person on checks for that hour was new and did not know she had to ‘eye ball’ the person on checks. She saw a shadow moving when she looked under the bathroom door- did not hear his voice. The next person doing checks found him strangled with a phone cord wrapped around his neck. After seeing the cover-up in my mother’s chart, I doubt if this patient’s family ever new either. Sheri Barron RN,BSN