Don Cheadle debates Reagan Gomez about Rachel Dolezal

Don Cheadle/Showtime YouTube Screenshot

Don Cheadle/Showtime YouTube Screenshot

Rachel Dolezal has been a lightning rod of controversy and anger over the past two weeks after the former Spokane NAACP leader was exposed by her parents for pretending to be Black. Within the many conversations about Dolezal’s actions, Black people have, surprisingly, been divided on whether Dolezal’s motives and impact were racist, and those points were recently captured online in a jaw-dropping Twitter debate between actors Don Cheadle and Reagan Gomez.

The impromptu debate began on Tuesday when Cheadle began to ask his Twitter followers why black women are so mad at Dolezal for pretending to be black. That’s when Gomez jumped in and began to explain to Cheadle the full scope of impact that Dolezal’s actions have had on the black community, specifically black women.

Photo Credit: Reagan Gomez's Twitter (@reagangomez)

Photo Credit: Reagan Gomez’s Twitter (@reagangomez)

Reagan Gomez - Don Cheadle Debate 1

Reagan Gomez - Don Cheadle Debate 3

Reagan Gomez - Don Cheadle Debate 2

But their debate didn’t end there. Read the rest of it after the cut.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

1. guest on June 18, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Get ’em Reagan! Always thought she was beautiful but had no idea she was articulate and intelligent as well. Love her! She is exactly right! Glad to see the fame and money that comes form being part of the industry has not clouded her perspective like it has others (Don Cheadle).

• OdasbestfriendMingo{◣⊻◢} on October 6, 2015 at 3:26 pm

fame? money? what?

2. guest123 on June 18, 2015 at 6:17 pm

It would have been interesting, but he specified “black women” Why do black men always want to attack black women? There are a whole lot more people than black (women or men) who disagree with her actions. Thumbs down Don you lost my support.

• yoyodre on June 20, 2015 at 10:05 am

How exactly is Don Cheadle, or anybody, attacking black women because they don’t see Rachel Dolezal’s actions as a personal attack against black women meant to erase them from existence? When exactly did she state that as her goal? Or is this yet again, black women trying to shame black men for not automatically and unquestioningly supporting black women compared to what like they claim to do for us?

This is idiotic. We can’t move forward trying to tear each other down for missing each other’s expectations. We are not all the same. We do not all have the same agenda. And we can’t just make things up for the sake of an ideological argument.

If black men aren’t supporting you, stop supporting them. No one is forcing you to hold the community up. It’s incredibly arrogant to claim all the credit for the successes of the community & none of the blame for its failures, cuz you know black power is for black men says so. I mean if we truly aren’t doing anything, isn’t this entirely the fault of black women since we play no part, if we want to make outlandish ridiculous rationales?

3. The Observer on June 19, 2015 at 9:33 am

Rachel D. Was vy. stupid in the entire way she handled the situation. It’s clearly obvious she’s white, despite her attempts at the darker makeup & her weave. I’m white & think she’s a fool. I don’t blame any Black Woman, or Black Man for being angry. She took scholarships & job opportunities that were supposed to be for African Americans. If she had seen a scholarship she liked for a disability of some sort, would she have applied for that, and faked an injury until her lies were eventually discovered?

All she had to do was admit her obvious ethnicity; and declare where she felt an alliance. Easy, end of story. She could have done the work she felt she wanted, needed to do without lying. She may or may not have ruined her career, or all this publicity might have given her undeserved entrance into book deals, etc. Years of lying & hypocrisy shouldn’t be rewarded, and even when totally caught, RW wouldn’t admit the truth about her birth heritage.

You have to be accountable; responsible for your actions & this woman still has not done so. I’m glad there are a few people who have called her on it. This isn’t a little slip; she pulled a large scale hoax. There are ramifications.

• OdasbestfriendMingo{◣⊻◢} on October 6, 2015 at 3:34 pm

If you can reasonably pass as a white person, (something may black folk–who could– did! Then for all intents–and–purposes you are white. The Same rule applies to white people, I a reasonable person can confuse rachel Dolezal of being a BW then for all-intents- and purposes, she is black. hell, if ray charles meets Cindy Crawford and believes her to be a black woman, then at that moment, for that person, Cindy Crawford is a black women.

• The Observer on October 6, 2015 at 5:39 pm

I understand what you’re saying. Key word is “reasonably”, but in this day and age, why should anyone try and “pass” for anything? Esp. when (to me) she is clearly white, and I had to keep looking to make sure my eyes weren’t playing tricks, that she DID have light eyes; the shape of her nose; the heavy dark make up..all looked odd to me. Then the storm exploded a couple of days later, and I saw that I was right in my assessment of her birth.

She can identify where & with whomever she chooses. Just don’t lie about it. She’s not doing the cause, or its’ people any good. Only promotes ill will. The only rational excuse for someone to believe her might be a blind person as you mentioned..the race, going either direction. I think RD seems to have deep psychiatric problems, or more.

I’m sorry that some of your ancestors had to “pass” to have a better life. We live in a screwed up world.. Would some of any of our parents..even I look around at poor role models, of both major races, and shake my head in disgust. Very hard to raise a nice child with trash being idolized. You set a good example & do the best you can do; keep them away from the garbage. Garbage is taken out & thrown away…not to be played with 🙂

• OdasbestfriendMingo{◣⊻◢} on October 7, 2015 at 5:13 pm

nose shape, and light eyes have nothing to do with being black, as nose shapes and eye color vary among black people. Rashida Jones has light eyes and… a nose of a certain shape (not sure what to make of that comment) , and she “looks” no more “black than Dolezal. Also, you’re very judgmental, a quality that would make raising a “nice” child, extremely hard. Relegating people with lives that you in no way shape or form take an active part of, as garbage, is never cool.

• The Observer on October 7, 2015 at 8:21 pm

You’re being extremely more judgmental than I am, and also making all sorts of assumptions. I don’t have time for this , but let me set you straight on a couple of things. Reg. Rashida Jones, she’s biologically half white, half black, so she inherited characteristics from the genetic pool of each race. Make of that what you will. Am I racist for that? Perhaps in your mind. Let me shock you further. She identifies with her mothers’ religion (gasp!!!), and let’s not forget, her mother has blue eyes & blond hair.

The brother of Rachel D., who seems like a smart young man, and IS African American by birth, not delusion, was adopted by the parents, and has been quite vocal regarding many lies RD said. Simplistically, she started running scams, getting scholarship $ & grants that should have gone to someone else. She told this younger brother to stay away & don’t tell on her.

This is a message board where people give their opinions. I have not given my opinion of you making wild assertions…nor will I. What I boiled down for you is all public info. As for people looking a certain way, in general, there are certain characteristics that give varying ethnic groups a certain look. Matt Damon looks Irish, and like many boys, guys from Boston. Is that bigoted? No. it’s a certain few physical characteristics that many Irish often share. Sophia Loren, looking so lush & lovely was & still is a beautiful Italian woman. An observation.

• OdasbestfriendMingo{◣⊻◢} on October 8, 2015 at 1:05 am

lady, you made reference to people being garbage, based on whatever standard you created for raising a “nice” child. very self-righteous. And, you mentioned nose shape and eye color as if those were phenotypically consistent characteristics among black people (of all shades) – they’re not; nor is hair color, hair type, skin texture, ear length, avg. nasal pore diameter, etc.. The rest of your essay is immaterial, and wont be addressed.

• The Observer on October 8, 2015 at 1:18 am

I am done w/this. I gave examples which you choose not to address because it clearly illustrates the point.

Twist my words however you want if it makes you feel better. You’re saying things that I did not.

• OdasbestfriendMingo{◣⊻◢} on October 8, 2015 at 4:09 am

The Observer: “Would some of any of our parents..even I look around at poor role models, of both major races, and shake my head in disgust. Very hard to raise a nice child with trash being idolized. You set a good example & do the best you can do; keep them away from the garbage. Garbage is taken out & thrown away…not to be played with :)”

i really hope you learn from this statement.

• The Observer on October 8, 2015 at 7:35 am

You are free of course to like or idolize anyone you like. I apologize to you, if anyone who I think is a bad example (such as those who continually use profane, vulgar language; drugs, etc) are people you might hold in such high regard.

We obviously have different tastes & values. With the concrete problems of the world & dangers of true issues facing this country… I am truly done with this.

• OdasbestfriendMingo{◣⊻◢} on October 8, 2015 at 8:21 am

I hold all things in high regard, or try extremely hard to. Thats the difference between you and I. People are different, respect that, and you may just enjoy life enough to not judge the worth of the people who never solicited your permission to occupy it.

• The Observer on October 8, 2015 at 8:31 am

I have gone way out of my way to attempt to explain the obvious. I wasn’t sure if you were obtuse or obstinate. Now I think, you feel the need to impart what you feel are your words of wisdom & preach to others across the board.

Your view of me is so off it’s absurd, and I’m answering you, because I tend to always answer out of politeness. This has run it’s course, and I wish you a good day, and perception.

• OdasbestfriendMingo{◣⊻◢} on October 8, 2015 at 9:13 am