50 Cent blames dip in ‘Empire’ ratings on ‘too much gay stuff’

Empire

Source : Instagram/@50 Cent and 20th Century Fox Television

Though the series is as popular as it’s ever been, Fox’s “Empire took a noticeable dip in ratings between episode one (16 million viewers) and episode two (13.7 million viewers), and 50 Cent believes he knows why: too much “gay stuff.”

In a since deleted Instagram entry, 50 shared a post by a page called @industryonblast_ that said “Empire suffered a slip in ratings because the show has become over saturated with celebrity cameos and too many “gay” scenes.

50, who has been very vocal in disdain for the show, which he feels too closely mirrors his own show, “Power,” teasingly offered his assistance in the accompanying caption writing in part “COOKIE CALL ME BABY. I’ll tell every body to watch the show for you.”

Check out the post below.

empire screenshot

Empire and “Power” have had a somewhat testy co-existence since both series began to pick up in popularity. The majority of the friction has been caused by 50 Cent, who has been very vocal in his aggravation, claiming the Fox drama has stolen everything from storylines to promotional campaigns.

The feud was kicked up a notch when Cookie Lyon (Taraji P. Henson) made a joke about 50 Cent being “thirsty” in the show’s season premiere.

50 posted a video shortly after mocking the show saying, “I can’t believe Cookie would say some s— like that about me. Thirsty? Me? Thirsty? Come on.”

With “Empire just beginning its second season and “Power currently shooting its third, it doesn’t appear that this war of words will be over anytime soon.

Empire airs Wednesdays on Fox at 8 p.m. est

1. UdonNo on October 5, 2015 at 12:14 pm

the producers of the show is gay, so he wants to look out for his own, whats wrong with that?

• mrhowell2002 on October 5, 2015 at 1:51 pm

People don’t want to watch that !!! So if the ratings drop don’t complain

• UdonNo on October 6, 2015 at 12:42 am

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE PEOPLE WANT? RATINGS CAN DROP FOR ANY REASON. NOW PICK UP THAT SOAP

2. Steelo on October 5, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Two issues here. FIRSTLY, as 50 may have a point . I somewhat agtee with him about the effect of the gregarious homosexuality and it’s affect on the show’s rating. SECONDLY, it’s unfortunate that the crabs in a barrel mentality permeates every facet of Black life–no matter the incone or social status. 50’s rants and fabricated compariaions are simply an egomaniac gone awry. Why cant 2 predominantly black shows coexist without one having to exclude the other. His token nigga attitude is disturbing and telling about how this brother really feels about his success…insecure at best, a true sucker.

3. Malibu Jones on October 5, 2015 at 3:48 pm

The ratings are going down because people are simply not as excited as they were about the show last season. It will get better.

4. Likewaterforchoc on October 5, 2015 at 8:54 pm

I think they are also being heavy-handed with the cameos as well often miscasting some. Chris Rock as he dangerous drug overlord? I low-key still see him as Pookie from New Jack City. I couldn’t help bursting out in laughter every time I saw him on screen. There are moments where I see this show going from drama to straight up “camp”.

5. shellyTheGreat on October 6, 2015 at 2:56 pm

he’s mad because more people watch empire than his show. he’ll be alright.

6. SAMUEL on October 7, 2015 at 12:03 pm

I don’t think you can attribute the shows slight drop off to the promulgating of homosexuality. Plus as far a celebrities on the show are concerned, I liken it to an artist who has special guests on his or her album.

• Stan on October 10, 2015 at 3:43 pm

The Rosewood lead in is causing me to change channels and I don’t change back