The Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson has announced the appointment of Florida Memorial University’s President Dr. Roslyn Clark Artis to the Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council (HSAAC). The organization provides advice and recommendations to the Secretary and senior leadership on issues related to homeland security and the academic community.
Dr. Artis was the first woman in the history of Florida Memorial University to serve as president in 2014 and is a highly respected legal scholar. Prior to her appointment at Florida Memorial University, she served in various roles at Mountain State University. These roles included Director of Legal Studies, Senior Academic Officer for Distance Education, Vice President of University Advancement, Executive Vice President and Chief Academic Officer and the university’s Provost. Before entering academia, she had a successful legal practice.
“I am honored to have been chosen by Secretary Johnson to serve on the Homeland Security Academic Advisory Council,” said Dr. Artis. “The Council affords me the opportunity to contribute to the conversation around our nation’s security and the important role higher education institutions play in preparing students to fill jobs that keep our nation safe now and into the future.”
The HSAAC has focused on six key initiatives in support of Homeland Security:
- Academic Research and Faculty Exchange: Taps into the expertise of the nation’s colleges and universities to address pressing homeland security needs and incorporate scientific findings into DHS’s operations;
- Campus Resilience: Strengthens the ability of colleges and universities to prevent, protect against, mitigate, respond to and recover from the threats and hazards that pose the greatest risk;
- Cybersecurity: Strengthens partnerships to enhance DHS’s cybersecurity recruitment efforts and support resilient campus systems and networks;
- Homeland Security Academic Programs: Supports academic programs that help create an educated and informed workforce now and in the future;
- International Students: Advances opportunities for international students to study in America while maintaining the integrity of the immigration process; and
- Student and Recent Graduate Recruitment: Focuses on the unique career opportunities that DHS offers in a variety of fields to build the next generation of homeland security leaders.