Iggy Azalea addresses accusations she used the N-word in new song

Iggy Azalea

Source : Instagram / @thenewclassic

Australian transplant and pop rapper Iggy Azalea has been skating on thin ice with hip-hop fans for a long time.

From allegations of outright cultural appropriation to facing a backlash after being bestowed with what many believe to be unearned accolades and praise from mainstream media, the 25-year-old “Fancy” rapper hasn’t been able to catch a break in quite some time. And with a brewing controversy currently in the works, it may get worse for Azaela before it gets better.

Over the weekend, Azalea dropped a new track on her SoundCloud page titled “Azillion.” It wasn’t long before the Twittersphere was ablaze about a particular lyric in the song in which it sounds as if Iggy dropped the N-word. According to fans, it sounds as if she says the following:

From December to the motherf—ing Nigguary
Body bags putting covers in the cemetery

We know she’s been cosigned and defended by hip-hop mainstays like T.I. and Lupe Fiasco, but there’s no way she’d be so bold as to go there, right?

Azalea swiftly hopped on Twitter to clarify her lyrics. See what she had to say and check out the new song after the cut.

Pages: 1 2

1. Lovie Paris on January 11, 2016 at 11:50 am

I think yall asses need to gave this girl a break let her be.If it ain’t about cultural appropriation is some other lame bs and my people the black community bite off of every culture just like every race does, it should not be an issue.Learn to think for yourself jump off the iggyhate bandwagon and stop making social media decide for you.

• Madison on January 11, 2016 at 7:26 pm

You need to learn to speak for yourself. “My people, the black community” sounds just as ridiculous as this new horror of a “rap” record. You can’t call someone out for bandwagon and then proceed to generalize the entire black community. Take your own advice.

• Ays on January 12, 2016 at 2:27 am

Yes, I concur with Madison.

I do NOT and DID NOT care that she is a White Australian “artist” in the genre of rap/hip-hop. I did slightly care about her not writing her own music (but she isn’t the first or the last in the industry). But I was incredibly confused as to why she dons an American accent; let alone a Southern one.

But Iggy was CAUGHT making homophobic comments talking about “dykes” and gay men. Including mocking and belittling minorities: an Asian’s speech/accent; “Mexican” females; and of course, Black men and women and unfortunate stereotypes. (I guess no one was safe). Including, her usage of “slave master” in a song. And questioning on her social media page; WHY CAN’T SHE SAY THE ‘N-WORD’?

And her nonsensical Aboriginal comments…

That is I did, in fact, “think for [my]self” and the verdict for her prejudice and ignorance was in [for me].

Ms. Azalea has no one to blame but herself. She lied about these comments for two years straight then FINALLY ADMITTED several months ago. She proceeded to cry victim; point the finger at minorities and not take responsibility for her comments/actions. She even used the being a White female notion (which I can understand); and that “Macklemore isn’t hated” as much as she is.

UNFORTUNATELY THAT IS INCORRECT. Remember the Grammys’ upset??

But yes… it doesn’t make sense to give “this girl a break let her be” when she has displayed nothing but ignorance and insensitivity. And expects sensitivity on her end.

And by the way, cultural appropriation exists and isn’t “lame bs”. It is not what you made yourself BELIEVE it is.

Rachel Dolezal anyone?

Just because you like or approve of her; or believe “it should not be an issue” doesn’t mean I have to wear rose-colored glasses. That means I would be riding your bandwagon.

• Lovie Paris on January 12, 2016 at 9:11 pm

Like I said it’s some other lame bs.All ready heard all that shit before.But hello that’s where being a human and saying dumb shit happens and forgiveness steps in and most of these allegation stems from a bias media who clearly out to drown this woman’s career and if anything they made me love and support this woman even more.

• guest on January 12, 2016 at 8:59 am

Nothing wrong with learning and borrowing from other cultures but to exploit, change history and try to claim it as your own is stealing. That is what happened in the past and what people see happening to hip-hop now.

• Lovie Paris on January 12, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Tell me something who do you think is hiphop biggest supporters and buy their records?Hiphop influence all races.Look at Charlie Pride, a black country singer back then who love and became influence by country music a genre that is predominant whites. Did they shame him and accuse him of “wanting to be white” or trying to exploit or steal their “culture” and he was one of the best in my book.Let this woman follow her passion.

• guest on January 13, 2016 at 9:26 am

Even though I feel he benefits from privilege as well, I have no problem with Eminem because his talent is obvious. There are much more talented female MCs but Iggy is being propped up solely based on her skin color and not talent.

2. kara on January 11, 2016 at 6:51 pm

The Lyric is Igguary which she tweeted meant a blessed month for fans. Why is this not in the article?

• TJ Armour on January 12, 2016 at 2:51 am

It looks like you missed the black “continue” button at the end of the story where her tweet and the new song is included. It’s there.

3. Kellance Young on January 14, 2016 at 8:54 am

I didn’t get that far along in the song 2 even know what it was saying she needs to transition over to electronic dance music / pop shes not nor ever will be hip hop she raps like she’s got a dick in her mouth