Dame Dash responds to cousin Stacey Dash’s controversial comments

Dame and Stacey Dash

Photo courtesy of Power 105 FM / YouTube / Meredith Vieira

Many people forget that former Roc-A-Fella CEO Dame Dash and increasingly bizarre actress turned Fox News correspondent Stacey Dash are first cousins.

Since her recent outlandish comments that people of color have no right to be upset at being excluded from Oscar nominations because whites are excluded from BET and other black focused entities, many in the Hip-Hop community have decried her stance including the legendary Bun B of UGK, who called her “the biggest coon in the room” in a lengthy Instagram post on the issue.

In a recent interview with Dr. Boyce Watkins, Dame was asked what he thought of the reaction to his cousin’s comments and relayed that he’s far from happy.

“It really isn’t the best thing to hear ‘Dash’ associated with cooning,” he said, “but it is what it is. That’s my life.”

As for his thoughts on why or how his cousin could make such seemingly self-hateful statements, Dash says he thinks she was paid to do so but her comments may have come off a little more harsh than she intended.

“I think she was saying, you can’t be, ‘Yo BET we have our own Black stuff that we don’t invite White people to and then get mad when White people don’t invite us to their stuff.’,” Dash told Watkins. “That’s how I looked at it. But then I was just like, ‘She didn’t have to say it like that or (on) there or get paid to say it.’ I would have way preferred her, if she has that opinion, to say it on BET or have a conversation with someone Black when she was saying that and let someone Black have a conversation back with her as opposed to some White man nodding his head.”

Watkins also asked Dash what he thought of the call to boycott the Oscars by Jada Pinkett-Smith. The 44-year-old music mogul says he’s a bit weary of Smith’s motives and questions if she’d feel as strongly if her husband, Will Smith, wasn’t snubbed for a Best Actor nod, as many believe he was.

“Let’s say Will Smith didn’t have an Oscar or a movie out, would he still boycott?” Dash asked. “I don’t have a movie in there. I’ve had movies that I felt should have been nominated, like The Woodsman and Shadowboxer. I felt snubbed. Right now, it’s kind of hard to hear somebody say, ‘Yo, I’m not going to the Oscars ’cause I wasn’t invited’ and expect everyone else not to. What about everyone that’s not invited all the time? So I would rather hear Will say that when he didn’t have a movie out or Jada. It would seem a little more objective as opposed to personal.”

1. linda on January 22, 2016 at 12:30 pm

She’s broke, it’s all about the money with her, besides her wanting to be white

• Likewaterforchoc on January 22, 2016 at 1:54 pm

I detect no lies in your statement. I have never seen a woman so desperate to “jump levels”. I think she’s cooning and bleaching just long enough to snag her next white husband.

• Nigg_Newton on January 24, 2016 at 1:12 pm

What

• Likewaterforchoc on January 25, 2016 at 3:22 pm

Eye said what Eye said.

2. Likewaterforchoc on January 22, 2016 at 1:48 pm

His defense is weak, because black folks are some of the most inclusive folks around much to our own detriment. White people aren’t invited? Where did he get that. Hell white people present and attend the NAACP awards! Even white comedian, Gary Owen said BET has done more for his career than any white network. Hell, he hosted Comic View for a while.

• Della Hick on January 22, 2016 at 2:30 pm

WTH are you talking about??? READ the article again, your comment makes no sense in relation to this article.#getaclue#openmouthssometimeshouldbeclosed.

• Likewaterforchoc on January 25, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I said what I said. I am addressing paragraph six. And unless unbeknownst to me this is a moderated board and YOU are the moderator, people can post freely.

3. JootJoint on January 23, 2016 at 12:37 pm

Yeah, cause she’s supposedly is too old to be CLUELESS, but apparently its a permanent state of mind, with Stacey Dash!

4. Kanessa on January 23, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Wow. All of the other posters have hit the nail on the head. From the NAACP to the BET Awards and more whites have not only been invited but also NOMINATED. We are very inclusive and give proper recognition where it is deserved even to our own detriment at times as likewaterforchoc mentioned. I’ll let ignorance be to blame on this one. It seems Ms. Dash either doesn’t know, understand, or accept herself as a black woman. Sad to say it happens. But at the end of the day no matter how she feels or what she says she will always be a black woman. Instead of criticizing Ms. Dash it seems she needs to be educated more or reminded of the knowledge that’s been shared with her, seeing how she is Damon’s cousin. Thank you for posting this Mr. Amour!

Best Regards,

-Kanessa (@thatdamnkanessa)

5. Den on July 10, 2016 at 11:04 pm

I think what – said was perfectly fine and the people that attacked – are idiots

I think the Academy Awards are well chosen chosen. Will Smith’s acting typically sucks and he has received the ‘worst actor’ award at least twice. His overacting made me cringe but I once saw all his movies he was a star and I enjoyed his movies

I am boycotting will smith and Jaded Smith. A lot of other people feel that way too it seems Will Smith’s career has ended.

Thank you – for telling it like it is … They Academy Awards are chosen among everyone it’s not like a BET award

6. Den on July 10, 2016 at 11:16 pm

“The BET Awards were established in 2001 by the Black Entertainment Television network to celebrate African Americans and other minorities in music, acting, sports, and other fields of entertainment over the past year. The awards are presented annually, and are broadcast live on BET. The annual presentation ceremony features performances by artists, and some of the awards of more popular interest are presented in a televised ceremony.”

All entertainers receiving The BET award have been black.

There are many black groups that are extremely racist and are not inclusive at all.

All entertainers receiving The BET award have been black.

There are many black groups that are extremely racist and are not inclusive at all, unless you would say that no white entertainer can compete with black entertainers