‘How To Get Away With Murder’ star blasts Iggy Azalea over ‘Becky’ comments

Photo Credit: Matt McGorry's Instagram (@mattmcgorry)

Photo Credit: Matt McGorry’s Instagram (@mattmcgorry)

Iggy Azalea always seems to find herself in and out of trouble with the Black community over her comments about Black culture, and things were no different this week when she decided to chime in on Beyoncé’s “Becky” scandal and claim the term is offensive to white women. Not surprisingly, fans fired back at Iggy over her statements and now “How To Get Away With Murder” star Matt McGorry has chimed in and completely challenged Iggy’s comments.

As previously reported, Bey’s BeyHive Stans have been searching all week to find out who is “Becky,” the mysterious woman whom Bey alleged that Jay Z cheated on her with on her new album, Lemonade

This week, Iggy put her two cents in on the matter on her Twitter page and demanded that people not refer to her as a “Becky” because she believes it’s a form of reverse racism.

Iggy Azalea - Becky Comments 1

Iggy Azalea - Becky Comments 2

Iggy Azalea - Becky Comments 3

Iggy Azalea - Becky Comments 4

According to media reports, McGorry, who has been a vocal civil rights advocate and feminist, spoke about Iggy’s comments in a recent interview and he criticized her argument, saying that reverse racism doesn’t exist and that the stereotypical names and racist treatment of Black women far outweigh the impact of a so-called stereotypical term like “Becky.”

“I think there’ no reverse racism. I think it’s not a real thing,” McGorry said. “I think that what seems like a lighthearted joke goes one way and is not necessarily lighthearted the other way.”

He continued, “I think Black women are stereotyped in such broad, sweeping strokes to begin with and that affects their lives on a daily basis. White people, white women aren’t as subjected to that when it comes to the race issues. Women in general? Sure. But just as there’s no such thing as reverse sexism, white people’s lives are not, ultimately, terribly affected other than their feelings hurt from being called a racist.”

We couldn’t have said it any better. It’s amazing and wonderful that someone like McGorry, who clearly has the privilege of not enduring the struggles of being Black, at least understands why he should not compare his struggles to that of a Black man or woman. Unfortunately, Iggy still doesn’t seem to understand that her appropriation of Black music doesn’t allow her the right to compare her discomfort with being called “Becky” to the history of pain that Black women and men have felt over the numerous stereotypical and racist names they’re called.

1. Likeabite on April 27, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Simply because there’s no reverse racism, which I agree with, does not make that stereotype just as ignorant and asinine. Iggy’s comments aren’t wrong in this case.

• guest on April 27, 2016 at 1:41 pm

yeah but pardon me if I don’t cry a river for poor little entitled Iggy.

• vwlover on April 27, 2016 at 2:54 pm

She isn’t wrong however she has made questionable remarks (tweets) about blacks, Asians, and specifically Mexican women. I can’t take her seriously.

2. guest on April 27, 2016 at 1:40 pm

Boy she is really asking for it lol but I guess it’s better to be controversial than forgotten.

3. Audrey E. on April 27, 2016 at 1:42 pm

Oh god, stop with this. Black people getting offended when other people are offended by black people’s racism. Black people aren’t the only one’s that have offensive terms and actions thrown at them. It’s not a competition. And if it was, black people wouldn’t even win.
    Becky vs nigger- no matter the degree, they all come from the same pot. Besides, I didn’t see Iggy Azalea say that her issue was as great as slavery. Jeez, y’all want to vilify her for anything.
    No one has the right to dictate when/by what someone else is offended. If some white lady called your brother, Tyrone, or I called a Mexican lady on the street, Maria; they’d both be racial stereotypes.
    As if Becky- just like snow bunny- is a term of endearment. Stop being hypocrites.
    By the way, there aren’t such things like reverse racism or reverse sexism because racism is just racism and sexism is just sexism! It doesn’t matter who’s doing it or majority vs minority! I’m pretty sure the world is still about 50-50 gender wise, so technically that wouldn’t work.
    And before anyone says, “oh another white person that doesn’t know what she’s talking about,” I’m Nigerian-American. And they can be very racist, like everyone else, thank you.

• tikyle on April 27, 2016 at 4:16 pm

There is so much wrong with what you wrote I don’t know where to start.

1st: Racism isn’t name calling and hurt feelings. Racism is restriction of freedom, liberties and quality of life. A mean spirited joke about a race is not necessarily racism.
      2nd: Let’s examine Becky vs n*&&*r. How many Becky’s have been killed because people fear them. Have been killed unarmed because they were viewed as a threat. Have been denied housing or home loans. Have had crosses burned on their lawn. Have been denied jobs, school admission or financial assistance due to that label? Didn’t think so.

Racism is so much more than using n*word or some derogatory word to represent any other cutlural group. Racism is using those labels and stereotypes to restrict those group of peoples civil liberties. When a “Becky” is no longer able to live in a neighborhood she chooses because she’s labeled a “Becky” or when a “Becky” goes missing and no one cares, then you can start screaming racism to that term.

• Audrey E. on April 27, 2016 at 9:52 pm

There it is again.
        I said that “Becky vs nigger” of course aren’t the same. My point was that racism takes all kinds of forms, including stereotypes, cliches, and off-handed remarks. Some forms are more severe than others but that doesn’t take away from the fact that you may be offending someone.
        It’s not right to dismiss that person’s feelings just because he’s white (that would be another form of racism, actually). Assuming that you’re black, what if a Jewish person came up to you and said, “how dare you complain about police brutality? Gestapo helped murder millions of my people. You don’t know anything about slavery. We were the original slaves and for thousands of years in our own home, no less. And we still face persecution now.”
        See? That wouldn’t be fair, would it?

• guest on April 28, 2016 at 7:23 am

There’s a huge difference between racism and bigotry. Like tikyle said, this was not racism, you can argue that it is bigoted and prejudice but not racist. Racism is a system that allows the racial group that’s already in power to retain power. I wouldn’t say poor little Iggy’s hurt feelings fits into that category.

• tikyle on April 28, 2016 at 8:36 am

You must be white.

Because, yes there it is again.

You didn’t read or comprehend what I said. Hurt feelings, name calling and using derogatory terms is not (necessarily) racism. Racism is the lost of civil liberties because of your race or culture. Hurt feelings and being sad does not make you a victim of racism. Please stop confusing bigotry with racism.

And what did your example supposedly display? So two different groups that experience racism can’t complain about their own experience? What does Gestapo have to do with American police? Neither experience is/was fair but bickering over them means nothing.

You know what wouldn’t be fair? Red lining. Disproportionate sentencing for the same crimes. Only being portrayed in the most negative light on TV. Everyone fearing you because of your skin tone. People justifying killing you because they fear you but have never met you. Literally building this country, fighting for it in all of the wars but not being able to vote in it after about 500 years of residency. Being told to go back to where you came from, from the people who kidnapped, raped and pillaged you from your original land and used and needed you in their (newly conquered) land (that they raped and killed and pillaged the Natives for) to survive. Having laws and classifications changed to include more people so you don’t lose “majority” status. Having 400 years of a tragic history still plague your people over 100 years after it was supposedly “abolished.”

I can go all day Audrey. That is racism. Not calling someone a nigger, spick, Becky, cracker, honky, ching chong, monkey, coon, wet dog, wet noodle, wet back, etc.

• Audrey E. on April 28, 2016 at 9:34 am

First of all, you must not have read all of my original post because I preemptively wrote that I am Nigerian-American just to avoid someone replying that I must be white to have such an opinion. What kind of nonsense is that anyways?
            And calling someone by a racial slur with the intention to offend him isn’t a form of racism? I think that’d be news to alot of people.
            I understood what you said but you don’t seem to understand that I agree with most of your points. Of course, calling someone Becky and being denied basic civil rights just because of your color aren’t the same level of discrimination. I just said they stem from the same (almost subconscious) mindset. The fact that you keep putting “necessarily” in parenthesises must mean that you don’t completely disagree.
            My example with Jewish people was to say that you shouldn’t dismiss one’s feelings or experiences just because yours were worse. If Iggy tried to say that being called Becky is equivalent to unfair jail sentencing, for instance, then by all means, get in her behind. But not for just saying she’s offended by that stereotypical term.
            But if you prefer I call it bigotry instead of racism, okay.

Because bigotry is so much better, right?

• guest on April 28, 2016 at 10:16 am

I do agree with her as far as calling someone out of their name is disrespectful but she just took the analogy to far because it’s far from the same and also consider the source this is a person that has had issues in the past of being disrespectful to minorities. She know for throwing a rock and hiding her hands, now she wants to play victim over this? This is nothing more than faux outrage and attention seeking on her part.

• tikyle on April 28, 2016 at 10:52 am

Audrey,

Bigotry messes with your feelings.
            Racism messes with your life and ability to have common civil liberties and messes with your feeling as well.

There is no way I can even come close to equating the two.

And I used necessarily because for example if a hiring manager after an interview says, “that (insert derogatory term) is smarter than most (insert deragatory term) I want me one of those smart (insert derogatory term).” That is bigotry. Very ugly, but just bigotry.

And hiring manager #2 say after an interview, “That was one smart (insert derogatory term) but I’ll never hire a (insert derogatory term)!” That is racism. Both name calling. Both ugly. But job applicant #1 would have hurt feelings after finding out. Job applicant #2 would have those same feelings and be unemployed for no other reason than being perceived as an (insert derogatory term).

I could care less what Iggy said. I just want people to start realizing that people saying ugly things and even sometimes doing ugly things is not necessarily racism. True racism comes with having power over someone and being able to effect one’s civil liberties and livelihood.

• Audrey E. on April 28, 2016 at 11:15 am

I don’t understand why your scope of what racism is is so narrow. Both of your examples were instances of racism because racism isn’t just acts of violence or trampling of civil liberties. It’s prejudices, discrimination, and a belief that another person is inferior based only on his race.
            So, applicant number 1 can get the job all he wants, but if his soon to be boss thinks he’s some dumb nigger that shockingly happens to be a little less dumb than the average nigger, then he’s the victim of racism. Furthermore, if you’re looking for some action to consider it racist, just wait for how he’ll be treated once he starts working there.

• tikyle on April 28, 2016 at 11:26 am

See. To me exactly what you said is what I’m getting at. I believe everything you said was on point except for the fact that the prejudice part as being racism.

Once the person starts working there if they are treated differently (which most feel they will) that’s where the racism starts.

IMO, if we equate JUST name calling and hurt feelings with racism we dilute what it truly is and how much it impacts the lives of people who are plagued by it.

I guess in today’s society with bullying being so prevalent and with sensitivity so high that people take hurt feelings more seriously than they did before. But true racism hurts so much more than feelings.

• Audrey E. on April 28, 2016 at 12:00 pm

But that is part of the definition of racism!

It is more about the person that is saying/doing the offense than it is about the recipient’s hurt feelings, but not it the way you’re thinking.

Say racism is confined to just acts like you claim. Where do you think that comes from? They come from a belief system, a mindset. Thoughts and feelings beget actions. So why wait for the acts before calling it racism and taking it seriously?

Do we have to wait for black men to be shot in the back by the police, Hispanics to be deported after 20 years of peaceful residency, etc. before we do something about it?
            Let’s nip it in the bud before then. That’s the real fight, isn’t it? Changing the mindset of all people in society that goes back almost to creation (which when we think of it that way, we actually have come a long way in terms of progress).
            We stop thinking of other people than less than us, then we’ll stop treating other people than less than us.

• tikyle on April 29, 2016 at 2:36 pm

I can’t disagree with you there.

I just know that when you accuse people of racism (who are probably racist) for just words the counter argument is always “you’re playing the race card.” But when those thoughts are put in action there is no denying it.

• Kim Willay on April 28, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Name calling isn’t racism?

Keep that in mind next time someone claims they got called th “n word” and then says the person was racist.

I guess Paula Deen and Kramer weren’t racist, either.

All they did was engage in name calling.

You can’t have it both ways. It’s fine if you stick by your point here but I’ve a feeling you would scream racist the next time anyone gets called such a name.

• guest on April 28, 2016 at 7:25 am

You’re exactly right! No such thing as reverse racism, it’s an overused, ignorant term used by people that don’t own dictionaries.

• Kim Willay on April 28, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Quite a few “Beckys” have been set on fire and had bleach poured down their throats in an attempt to cover up evidence of gang rape before being burned alive.

I’m a black woman, married to a white man so I’m certain I do not qualify here but I have seen and heard of PLENTY of white girls who have been violently assaulted for being a white girl with the wrong man.

It is ridiculous to paint any one group with a broad brush.

Im a black woman and I’ve never struggled with being called names.

Because they don’t hurt my feelings if I don’t let them.

Just the same it is ridiculous to act like no white girl has ever had her life ruined due to her lack of pigment.

You’ll disagree. I won’t care. I made my point, you read it and that’s all that will matter as I won’t engage you further.

So, respond if you want but I said what I needed to say and won’t be back to care what you say past your initial post.

4. Erica on April 27, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Dont agree! Im black and i dont care if its just feelings it’s still hurts to be called racist when you arent trying to be. i dont believe Iggy is racist and she is right. If white folks cant black folks shouldnt either. We would be burning down the place if someone said Shaniqua with the nappy roots. Just like white folks can be racist so can black folks. Iggy adopted a culture which we expect foreiners to do then everyone mad when she does.

• tikyle on April 28, 2016 at 8:42 am

SMH, Erica.

I just have two questions for you.

1. Is there any negative connotation in the term “good hair?”
      2. Is there any negative connotation in the term “nappy roots?”

Grand opening. Grand closing.

People need to get out of there feelings and just see what’s going on. Now Shaniqua with the curly hair. Who’s burning down what?

Erica is argumentative = Erica with the good hair.
      Erica is opinionated = Erica with the curly hair.
      Erica is a bitch = Erica with the nappy roots.

5. TaylorW86 on April 28, 2016 at 4:31 pm

When rappers use the term “Becky” to mean cocaine or blowjobs, it doesn’t have shit to do with racial obliviousness – it’s just another way of saying white or white girl. If you don’t care about offending white people, just say that and move on. Trying to intellectualize it is a waste of time.

6. Le Monocle de Mon Oncle on April 28, 2016 at 5:05 pm

Ah, yes, once again the parroting of the oft-repeated falsehood that there’s no such thing as reverse racism. This nonsense has been debunked over and over again. My favorite debunking is here: https://medium.com/@Zoobahtov/racism-prejudice-power-reverse-racism-racism-bdf3f4bb4da6

7. Tashee on April 28, 2016 at 5:11 pm

So the girl who sings with a faked and stereotypical southern black accent is now calling for the end of stereotypes….Becky bye!

8. TheLibertyDefender on July 20, 2016 at 7:41 pm

If calling a white girl “Becky” isn’t racist, then I suppose calling a black girl “Shaniqua” also isn’t racist.

9. Rixterz on October 1, 2017 at 1:39 pm

Do white people not deserve a capital letter? Don’t even think about capitalising “black” if white people don’t even get a capital letter.