Man jailed for boxing his son as punishment and posting video on Facebook

boxing son

Photo credit: Travis Sellers – Facebook

Travis Sellers believed that he was providing the proper discipline for his son when he told him to lace up his boxing gloves. Sellers then turned on Facebook Live and revealed to his followers that his son was misbehaving at school and boxing was going to fix the issue.

Sellers is taller than his 17-year-old son and outweighs him by at least 100 pounds. In the video, Sellers hits the boy several times as the teen is barely able to fight back. When the beating was over, the boy is pictured bleeding profusely from the nose and mouth.

In the caption of the video, Sellers wrote, “Blessings come in all forms and mines [sic] came in the form of a great young man to have as a son. I feel I would be the worst disappointment to him if I didn’t do my best to deter him from choices in life that I have seen lead to destruction. The world now has given us platforms to reach out and show your efforts. A lot of people were hurt by this video. And that was not the purpose. I did it to show what has been working for ME.”

The video received mixed comments as some people called it child abuse and others viewed the actions as the proper way to keep the teen in line and off the streets.

However, the Prince William County Police didn’t agree with the punishment and decided to arrest Sellers.

Although it’s important for men to do whatever it takes to keep their teenage sons focused and out of jail, there are better ways to discipline a child. Sellers never gave his son a proper lesson on boxing and it became a brutal beating instead. Beyond the brutal beating, the child was humiliated in front of millions who viewed the video. It’s an incident that can destroy the child’s self-esteem. It can also lead to the destruction of Sellers’ family.

After Sellers was arrested, child services removed his teenage son from the home. Sellers was charged with domestic assault and has since been released on $5,000 bond.

1. nae on May 1, 2016 at 2:46 pm

Who does sh*t like this.

2. cupcake333 on May 1, 2016 at 2:51 pm

yes i knew he was gonna be arrested , but i still believe as parents you gotta do what you feel is best to discipline kids they are clearly into all kinds of drug selling , doping up . and bad behavior in school . some have beat up teachers and spit on them and other kids in school . you have no idea how bad bullying is . and if you want to call this bullying your probably raise badly your self you probably the subject of many arrest as an adult , baby moma young with a few dead beat daddies in your life or your a man who dont even see or have nothing to do with your own kids and your jealous that someone else is being pro parent . i dont see child abuse i see discipline to the max …. not taking away a cell phone or buying them no jordons thats old school kids dont care bout that no more . .. they want to fight in school and that leads to a bad adulthood .

• Black and Proud on May 2, 2016 at 11:02 pm

you are crazy and ignorant. at no point, did they say this kid was doing drugs, selling drugs, beating up a teacher and so on. he just skipped class. skipping class and getting a beat down by your father is absurd. the father is mentally ill. in you are most likely mentally ill. no wonder we have so many mean and violent black children in the world. so called daddy, will now probably lose his job if he has one, and have a record. they need to take all the kids out of that house immediately. you can look and see something is wrong with him. he look disturbed.

• Lary Green on May 4, 2016 at 8:08 am

Black and proud ………. The same system that’s removing the kids from the home . Has sanctioned the authorities to shoot to kill . Their justification for murder is ” I felt that my life was threatened ” . Do you see the real value of young black boys in today’s society . If I gotta go to jail as opposed to the being murdered , I’ll go to jail . Either way the N******s are being kept in check ?? Please watch this show named ” UnderGround ” tonight on WGN ?? I think it comes on at 8pm .

3. Vaughnj TheChameleon on May 2, 2016 at 7:57 am

Keep your private matters off facebook unless you willing to deal with aftermath that follows..*case closed.As a parent some people wont get how you handle your home situations especially in today’s world,however it’s those same people that will call you out when your child does something wrong.

• guest on May 2, 2016 at 9:58 am

For the life of me I can’t understand why you would post this on social media, it’s almost like he wanted to be arrested. Are people that desperate to go viral and for attention?

• Vaughnj TheChameleon on May 2, 2016 at 10:04 am

your entitled to your OPINION that’s why it’s yours Guest. I’ll stick to mine like I said no matter what your intention(s) somethings DON’t belong on Social Media* like many others the moment I saw it. I said that may have consequences on both ends. xoXo

4. decreator on May 2, 2016 at 1:28 pm

How ridiculous. Social media got people bugging the hell out. Smfh

• guest on May 3, 2016 at 10:16 am

I think in the near future people will be treated for addiction to social media like any other addiction. It is definitely a problem.

• Lady T on May 5, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Oh my goodness so TRUE. Absolutely RIDICULOUS the way people are addicted to it and the foolishness that they put out there – people are most definitely this desperate for attention, even if it’s negative, apparently even if it leads to jail or worse. So sad.

5. Likewaterforchoc on May 3, 2016 at 9:48 am

Everything is not meant for public consumption. #newageparenting. smh

6. Me on May 4, 2016 at 8:58 am

Remove him from the home and arrest the dad, then justify killing the young man because he is walking home one night with a hoodie…. FOH!!!

Systematic Family Destruction. …

Yeah I said it…

7. Killer Critic on October 23, 2016 at 2:47 pm

The kid skipped school. He should have gotten punished instead. The father acted out of line. The kid was splattered with blood. What the boy did is now irrelevant. His father turned what was once a nonviolent altercation into a physical altercation. The father doesn’t have any right to start going apeshit by beating his son to the point where he’s half dead. Especially over something that isn’t even worth punching someone over. If the kid hit his father first during an argument, the father would be justified in using reasonable force. If the father is ever even allowed to see his son again, his son will more than likely give him the same beating. Teaching your son that violence solves everything is exactly how to fail as a parent.

8. Iam Hodan on June 23, 2017 at 8:41 pm

He harmed the child way more than helping him. This is abuse. Humiliation is not correct discipline. Physical beating is not good discipline. I feel so sorry for that boy as I have a son and this just broke my heart. I didn’t even watch the video because I couldn’t. Reading what happened was already too much. The emotional impact far outweighs the physical one. How can he face his peers without feeling utterly embarrassed. The self-esteem of a teen is already fragile as it is.

Parents, we need to learn healthy ways to discipline our children. It’s not about they don’t know who they have to come home to as we get the belt ready to whip them. It is about asking yourself how can I best teach my child and motivate him/her to do better. We need to let our own egos get out of the way of disciplining our kids so we can teach them to respect us and not just to fear us.

And I am not going to judge the father because we all do things like this unknowingly. Granted, he was at a next level. I am sure I have made plenty of mistakes myself. I hope to God that poor child can learn to forgive his father and that the father can learn from this and sincerely apologize to his son.