Mo’Nique ‘blackballed’ and now facing $400K tax lien

Photo credit: DeWayne Rogers for Steed Media

Photo credit: DeWayne Rogers for Steed Media

Superstar comedienne Mo’Nique and her husband Sidney Hicks have a serious problem with the IRS. The pair was recently hit with a tax lien and a whopping $389,904.98 bill from the IRS for refusal to pay taxes. The agency claims that the couple owes $201,695.99 in back taxes for 2013 and another $188,208.99 for 2014. The government has threatened to seize their assets, which include a 10,600 square-foot home in Duluth, Georgia they bought for $2.8 million. The tax lien was filed in Gwinnett County, Georgia Superior court.

Since winning an Oscar for her role in the movie Precious, Mo’Nique has been passed over for major projects that included a role in the hit show “Empire”, The Butler and the upcoming Richard Pryor biopic where she was supposed to play the late comedian’s grandmother. All of this arose from a conversation she stated that she had with producer/director Lee Daniels who stated she was “blackballed” by Hollywood. According to Mo’Nique, “I got a phone call from Lee Daniels maybe six or seven months ago. And he said to me, ‘Mo’Nique, you’ve been blackballed.’ And I said, ‘I’ve been blackballed? Why have I been blackballed?’ And he said, ‘Because you didn’t play the game.'”

Mo’Nique claimed she was called tacky and tactless by Hollywood insiders because of her refusal to allow anyone to take advantage of her. Instead of her career taking off after her Oscar win, she found herself without serious work in the industry.

Last year, she made headlines when she stated that she and her husband were in an “open marriage” and that they allow each other to have different sex partners.

“When I say I’m in an open marriage, it was not my husband’s idea,” Mo’Nique said in the clip, which she filmed in her car. “Originally it was my idea because at the time when Sid and I got together 10 years ago — now keep in mind this was my best friend since I was 14 — but when we first got together I was still stuck in being famous and a celebrity and being a star, and I felt like I could have whatever I want. So I was still in an insecure place of, ‘I can have that, I can have that, I can have that.’ And because I was dealing with my best friend, my best friend said, ‘If that’s what you think you need, as your best friend, I don’t want to stand in the way of it.’”

1. MzLadyp on June 3, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Her explanation on that “open relationship” make her sound straight up dumb!! That’s some BULLSH$#T!!!

• joyce taylor on June 4, 2016 at 12:05 am

You are as clueless as me and the man on the moon about what’s going on in her world. People have opinions. But at least have an opinion about facts. She never ever said they had an open relationship as far as she fucks who she wants and he fucks who he wants. These comments are so vicious sometimes they shouldn’t even have one. Regular people are clueless what Hollywood life is , no matter how much you read tabloids or follow the media. Even if she said something to that effect , her definition may not be the way we perceive an open relationship. Seems to me you’re the dumb one.

• Jason on June 6, 2016 at 3:41 pm

I agree, but the “open relationship” mess was rather tacky by the writer. The other day – I heard a celebrity say “Write something nice about someone, and you will receive 100 likes. Write something bad about a person, and you might just hit 100k likes.”

2. Donna on June 3, 2016 at 4:23 pm

Okay they think Black lives matter so much they don’t have to pay their taxes. Hmmmmm that bad tax man must be a racist.

• joyce taylor on June 4, 2016 at 12:21 am

You are way off base asshole. Everybody has to pay taxes. The reality is that blacks do face hidden subtle racism and sometimes blatant racism and also experience injustices every single day in ways or form that you’ve probably never heard of. There is no way you or me would get off scotch free if we were killing anyone everyday because we feared for our life. Oh if you’re white maybe you would. Everyone knows there’s a code of silence in every police dept , not to mention the lies , setting suspects up, planting guns and drugs on innocent people AND lying about how someone tried to attack them so they had to shoot , only to find out the cops were lying !! Being a cop is the only job one can get away with killing someone and never ever get charged!!! Do you realize how many black men boys kids women have been killed for bogus reasons by cops. Then the officers are found not guilty or not even charged only to have whatever state they’re from pay millions and millions and millions in lawsuit’s to the families . Then the city cries broke. Case in point , one black women’s family was paid 18million because she was shot 12 times because she reached for a cell phone !!! Yet you ( if you’re white) act like you don’t understand the cries of injustice. If you have a gripe with something your city is doing then by all means , PROTEST ! I would never down you for that. But it never fails on these comment threads that someone always has to bring up the race card no matter how minute the topic is. Educate yourself !!

• Donna on June 4, 2016 at 11:13 am

Call me what you want, but I am smart enough to know I have to pay my taxes. I notice you don’t mention all the blacks that have killed, raped and robbed white people, I don’t expect special treatment because of my race . What about the black man that just killed the little boy, because he picked up some of his drug money off the ground and ran with it, I notice you didn’t mention that, so I suggest you just sit down and STFU. Until you walk in a policemans shoes whether he be black or white you don’t have a clue.

• britishrose on June 5, 2016 at 8:59 pm

but you white and you have no idea how the black race have been done what you read is no lie dr king was real his fight was real lincoln had to free the slaves cause he knew the white race 200 year from his death would not do it leading to great lost …. there would of been more slave rebellion and race wars leaving great lost BLACK BUILT AMERICA UP WHERE THE INDIANS AND WHITES DIDNT WANT TO DO THE WORK .. BEFORE COTTEN MILLS AND PLOW IT WAS BLACK KNEES AND HANDS @! . itS like whiteS who hate racism is only inconvenced by our stand we seem important like we dont want human rights but that how racism work … .whiteS are giving up because its a race card issue YOU HATE .. oj simpson trial open racist whites eyes its like a contest to defend your rights itS a them versus us attiude with whites…. and only whites u can trust is the ones married to blacks with kids . they know their children will struggle with racism . like obama parents knew reason his daddy left is more then likly he experienced racism … badly americans never question why obamas daddy left him with his moma … he was african and they dont believe racism is as bad as american blacks say it is until its seen up close … and i feel sorry for whites who married blacks for anything but love .. period racism is a onesided deed .. it dirty divisive and ignorant mental issue for whites
          and undiagnosed brain defect .. with no medication r cure .. sorry white lady your generation fucked u up badly DONNA OVIOUSLY U ARE PRO RACISM BYE

• Donna on June 6, 2016 at 11:17 am

You have no clue who I am or whether I am Black or white or bi- racial, I would suggest you go back to school and get an education so you can write properly and pay attention this time. My generation taught me how to respect people no matter what their color apparently you missed that train.

• Just thinking on June 8, 2016 at 10:22 am

People of all races kill people within their races. Blacks kill blacks, whites kill whites, Mexicans kill Mexicans, etc. There’s no argument about crimes. We expect disorder from civilians. Always has been and will be. That’s why we have law enforcement.
          I think the issue is that some of our law enforcement officers seem all to eager to take the lives of those in certain demographics mainly black and brown, than they are to takes those of whites. Not my opinion, but factual and can be verified. We know that if suburban white Youth, men and women were being gunned down to death by police officers black or white, these narratives would play out very differently. I appreciate law enforcement that deals equitably with offenders. But we have to be honest and admit that in some instances the legal system is as broken as the dysfunctional people it serves.

• Donna on June 8, 2016 at 12:45 pm

I agree that there are Bad cops Good cops in all races, some of them get power hungry, but my issue is with Monique thinking she doesn’t have to pay taxes because she is a Star. Let’s call a spade a spade you and I both know she is going to say they went after her because she is Black. A few years back the IRS went after Willy Nelson and sized his possessions leaving him with almost nothing and he is not Black and a much bigger Star than Monique.

3. bee on June 3, 2016 at 11:09 pm

thank that uncle tom lee daniels for this how u gonna blacklist one of ur own nigga goin down

4. britishrose on June 5, 2016 at 10:11 pm

NIGERIANS ARE SOME OF THE BIGGEST UNCLE TOM INDENIAL OF BLACK HISTORY SELF HATING CON LIEING MESS INVENTED MORE HATEFUL OF BLACK AMERICANS BLAMING US FOR BEING THE REASON WHITE ARE SO RACIST .. WHEN half of them dont even know it was african kings who sold those slaves.. . when they find out they still block it out .. they stink and their church is a cult because no one is invited there if your not nigerian even whites

hatin theivin bastards obama is part kenyan big difference in kenyans and nigerians if obama was nigerian he would be mean and low down conning and not recieved trust

5. Jason on June 6, 2016 at 3:48 pm

In other news – after having been dogged out by either her cohosts or producers – Tamar Braxton decided to do for self and get her own show. ****hint hint****.

***If Ms. Mo’Nique ever reads my insignificant remarks. There are a lot of people who still respect you for your work and strength.***

Everything you do does not have to be on the “big screen”. There is a whole streaming world out there, and a lot of people rely on it for their entertainment.

6. Ken on June 6, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Im sorry but she needs to take responsibility for her self and stop trying to blame everyone else for her issues .

What the article doesn’t mention is that Monique was making demands about being paid to PROMOTE Precious before it even came out when it as a extremely low budget movie . She and her husband wanted her to be paid to make appearances during the award selection season. I know our film is up for all kinds of awards but Im not going to Cannes unless you pay me.

Oscar wins dont guarantee you a big payday and thats where she blew it because thats where she put here focus on when she should’ve used that opportunity to network and get here name out there as she was not some bankable star before the win .

I understand her wanting to be paid what she feels she was worth but you also have to be able to work with the people who put the money up to fund these films and thats where she has screwed up . If I put up 15 million and this actress refuses to do promo work without being paid for each event I don’t care how much I like Lee Daniels or the project he is currently pushing I’m not going to put up my money and be involved with an actress who is not focused on making sure the project does as well as it can .

Her Oscar speech started with

“I would like to thank the Academy for showing that it can be about the performance and not the politics.”

but behind the scenes she was all about the dough .She and her husband overplayed their hand and she is suffering the consequences .not with the academy necessarily because actor always take shots at them but with the producers who are more than willing to fund here friend Lee’s projects just not with her attached .