Leslie Jones suffers serious racial abuse on Twitter

CinemaCon 2016: Sony Pictures Presentation of 2016 Films held at Caesars in Las Vegas, NV. Pictured: Leslie Jones Ref: SPL1265608 160416 Picture by: Digital Focus / Splash News Splash News and Pictures Los Angeles: 310-821-2666 New York: 212-619-2666 London: 870-934-2666 photodesk@splashnews.com

CinemaCon 2016: Sony Pictures Presentation of 2016 Films held at Caesars in Las Vegas,. Pictured: Leslie Jones Ref: SPL1265608 160416 Picture by: Digital Focus / Splash News Splash News and Pictures Los Angeles: 310-821-2666 New York: 212-619-2666 London: 870-934-2666 [email protected]

Ghostbusters star Leslie Jones has been forced to quit Twitter after she was bombarded with racist tweets and has urged the social networking site to take action. The Ghostbusters actress found herself the target of many offensive and hurtful posts, which were mainly directed at the color of her skin. Jones retweeted some of the messages, which included calling her an “ape,” a “big lipped coon” and “the source of AIDS.”

In a series of posts, she then wrote, “I feel like I’m in a personal hell. I didn’t do anything to deserve this. It’s just too much. It shouldn’t be like this. So hurt right now.” The 48-year-old actress also wrote, “I use[d]to wonder why some celebs don’t have Twitter accts now I know. You can’t be nice and communicate with fans cause people [sic] crazy.”

She pleaded with Twitter to do something about the racist trolls as she refused to ignore them, as many people had told her to. She said, “Twitter I understand you got free speech I get it. But there has to be some guidelines when you let spread like that. You can see on the…Profiles that some of these people are crazy sick. It’s not enough to freeze Acct. They should be reported. (sic). Eventually she signed off: “I leave Twitter tonight with tears and a very sad heart.All this cause I did a movie. You can hate the movie but the s— I got today … wrong.”

Ghostbusters director Paul Feig urged Leslie to stay on the social networking site and wrote, “Leslie Jones is one of the greatest people I know. Any personal attacks against her are attacks against us all,” and encouraged people to tweet their support for Jones under the hashtag #LoveForLeslieJ.”

1. Tabby on July 19, 2016 at 10:57 am

That’s some real bull ish!!! Folks have nothing better to do! People are so stupid. Why do folks have to be racist! Well racist these nuts ??!!!!

• Sol Rothstein on July 19, 2016 at 1:18 pm

DICK HEAD…Leslie Jones, at 48 yrs old should be smart enough to know SOCIAL MEDIA, is an open forum with no guidelines.

JUST unplug and keep it moving BIG Les’

• Tabby on July 20, 2016 at 11:27 am

Although it may be an open forum it’s still no excuse for people to be jerk offs! Damn she black and so what! Everyone is made differently fir a reason. For the folks that keep making stupid comments about her being black and/or ugly need to stop looking at her then! It’s ridiculous how people are quick to say something about how someone look but don’t look at their selves! Even the so called best looking people have flaws! Social media kills me?! People have nothing better to do but bash one another. When are people going to be in the business of empowerment and uplifting one another. Get off high horses cause so called beauty may not last forever! To Leslie and anyone else that has experienced this type of ridiculousness I feel your pain, but remember life is too short to be upset, mad, and depressed about what someone has to say about your life to the fullest. God has a plan for each of us and letting this consume you is not one of them. Thank you and goodnight! ✌?️

• Sol Rothstein on July 20, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Why would you BRING GOD into this Man made MESS ???

Now you are being ignorant.

AGAIN…all you have to do is UNPLUG and keep it movin’

NOBODY is going to change for you, me or anyone else…because as you so QUICKLY SAID…They ain’t GOD !!!

• Tabby on July 24, 2016 at 6:43 pm

FOR THE RECORD I DIDNT SAY: “THEY ain’t God”! This is what I stated: God has a plan for each of us and letting this consume you is not one of them. What does that have to do with what you are saying? How does it make me ignorant by saying that He has a plan? Sorry if you don’t believe in what I said or in Him! That was for the ones who do believe. My point, he doesn’t want us to allow negative aspects of others ruin our greatness! People are always going to have negative things to say whether it’s social media or in person. ?

• Sol Rothstein on July 24, 2016 at 7:26 pm

I said what I said, because GOD didn’t create this MAN MADE MESS…again, WAITING ON GOD…is not going to help anyone or YOU !!!

God didn’t have a DAMN THING to do with this — (BULLSHIT.)

So get off your GOD COMPLEX and do for yourself….that’s my POINT.

• Dusty Ayres on July 25, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Get off of YOUR complex about this movie having to have only males be in it.

• Dusty Ayres on July 22, 2016 at 3:45 pm

The dick head is you, Sol. Let’s see how tough you are when you have to put up with the abuse Ms. Jones has suffered.

• Sol Rothstein on July 23, 2016 at 11:28 am

I would never have to put up with the abuse…FUCK FACE, because I wouldn’t put myself on SOCIAL MEDIA…Smarter than that…

NOW Dusty Dirty Ayres…please note you are funky, ugly, and just a waste of space…Please leave me alone.

Thanks in advance FUCK FACE…

2. Jason on July 19, 2016 at 11:39 am

Blacks need to counter this racism with an outpouring of love for this sister. Hit her on Twitter, Facebook and let her know that you love and support her. Even if you are not into her brand of comedy we most show support and stop acting like scared children.

• Sol Rothstein on July 19, 2016 at 1:19 pm

NO, no, no, no…she is USING WHITE MEDIA TOOLS…

I am not going to support their WHITE MEDIA TOOLS…why not just go see the movie and put your MONEY WHERE YOUR mouth is…

Drops MIC….

• Dusty Ayres on July 22, 2016 at 3:47 pm

I plan to do that next week, but she still shouldn’t have to put up with this kind of abuse.

• Sol Rothstein on July 23, 2016 at 11:26 am

She is not putting up with anything…she is putting herself in it.

Big difference.

• Dusty Ayres on July 23, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Rothstein, kiss my ass. If you can’t tell that this was harassment that was wrong, I don’t know what else to say other than that you are an idiot.

• Sol Rothstein on July 23, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Can you EXPLAIN…why Leslie JONES is BACK ON TWITTER…if it was so bad for her ???

Explain that…

Explain how someone so hurt came BACK TO TWITTER…can you say…she stupid and dumb.

• Dusty Ayres on July 24, 2016 at 9:32 am

She didn’t ‘put’ herself into anything, all she did was do a movie that people like you decided to automatically hate because it rebooted something beloved to you. So give me a fracking break trying to disguise bigotry and sexism as just hatred of a movie.

• Sol Rothstein on July 24, 2016 at 12:44 pm

DUMMY she is BACK ON TWITTER…so she is doing it to herself.

DANG…where is her PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for her actions.

Leslie Jones…is literally putting herself out on display to be talked about (GOOD OR BAD).

• Dusty Ayres on July 24, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Where the frack is yours for insulting her on Twitter like you do? And what did she so to offend the big manbaby that you are?

• Dusty Ayres on July 29, 2016 at 11:11 am

How is she ‘putting herself in it’ by being on Twitter? And why is she supposed to be abused verbally by fools like you?

• Sol Rothstein on July 29, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Easily…Leslie JONES can just GET the fuck offline.

How hard is that to comprehend…ARE all BLACK WOMEN dumb as fuck !!!

• Dusty Ayres on July 31, 2016 at 3:49 am

She has as much right to be on Twitter as do losers like you.

3. Sandra Jordann on July 19, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Leslie, Keep your head up when some people have nothing going on in there life, they like to hurt people that do so we pray for them and you keep doing what you do # We love you Leslie

4. mrwoods13 on July 19, 2016 at 2:20 pm

Leslie, ignore them and laugh at their dumbasses. You are getting PAID!!!!

5. cupcake333 on July 19, 2016 at 7:39 pm

hey leslie love you ..buttttt you open a door for racist self hating in denial of
    their own black history blacks!! as well as white ,,, when u joked about being a slave and how massa would pair u with mandigo… NOT FUNNY TO AA BUT PERFECT FOR WHITE SKIN HEADS AND KKK UNDERCOVERS color is a divider in america
    and allways will be until or unless the children alive now 40 years from now learn to help change america spirit ,, black and white children whom is faced
    with constant hate crimes even from law… we cant fix it we dont have
    the common since to see we all are drowning togther in america
    leslie is stronger she admits she is not a what america calls beauty
    alex wek wasnt either lupe nuongo was not but black america never uderstood
    the beauty of dark skin ..white men use to lust after black slave women.. and rapped them cause there was no way to marry them. .. black men start a lot of this hate on black females .. and they all got here through a black woman womb??? confused a lot of black men hate they momas as well … we need to study why jhate among blacks help whites hate us ..

6. guest on July 20, 2016 at 8:25 am

Sorry this happened to her but she is giving the trolls and jealous losers way to much power and that’s exactly what they are looking for. I’m sure there are some that find it very gratifying that they got to her in this way. If it bothers you that much that you can’t ignore it simply stay off. There are dozens of other ways to self promote. Trolls on social media are here to stay, get used to it.

7. Chuck on July 21, 2016 at 11:31 am

How does she expect anyone to take her serious with that hairstyle. However, name calling isn’t fair to her. She’s beautiful, but should get a better hairstyle.

8. Zep Turnage on July 21, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Hello Leslie don’t let these ignorant people discourage you in any
    way you are a beautiful black woman the people who sad these hateful things about u hide behide there computers and say what they want to say sticks and stones may brake my bones but words will never hurt me that’s a lie. words hurt a person really bad every one has feelings and when those feelings are hurt your self respect go’s down the drain so you pick your self respect off the floor hold your head up high and be the beautiful black sexy black women you can be

9. Arthur E.D. Dorrough on July 24, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I think she’ll be ok,…. her detractors? not too sure.