49ers Colin Kaepernick says US is oppressive, refuses to stand for anthem

Colin Kaepernick (Photo Source: Twitter/ @kaepernick7fp_)

Colin Kaepernick (Photo Source: Twitter/ @kaepernick7fp_)

A recent decision by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick is causing outrage among many NFL fans over his refusal to stand for the playing of the national anthem. This past Friday, the 49ers faced off against the Green Bay Packers when Kaepernick made his now controversial decision. According to Kaepernick “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.

The political expression of Kaepernick, who earns an estimated $114 million per year playing football, was not a onetime event.  He has been outspoken on his Twitter account on issues of civil rights and support of the Black Lives Matter movement.

Kaepernick was put up for adoption as a child after his father left before he was born and was raised by White parents along with their own children. His decision to not stand for the national anthem has caused many fans to burn their Kaepernick jerseys and place the images on social media along with statements criticizing his actions.

Some Twitter comments have called his actions unpatriotic and unappreciative for the opportunities that living in the United States have made possible. According to the NFL, players are not required to stand for the playing of the national anthem but are encouraged to do so at games.

The 49ers issued the following statement regarding the matter: “The national anthem is and always will be a special part of the pregame ceremony. It is an opportunity to honor our country and reflect on the great liberties we are afforded as its citizens.  In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem.”

There is no indication that the team will drop Kaepernick for exercising his first amendment rights and he now joins a growing list of sport figures who are taking a stand during the Black Lives Matter era.

1. Alicia Lee on August 29, 2016 at 7:23 pm

More of today’s top people need to stand with him, especially players in the NFL and NBA. You have lots of money already and should show that you are not just there for that but also a representative of a larger group of people that are just like you or you were like and where you came from and until everyone get’s treated fairly, you shouldn’t put on a “show” for the on-lookers. See how long their favorite pass-times will last then.

• Whiteguy on December 23, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Maybe you should align yourself with something better than a monkey that bounces a ball for a living.

• Alicia Lee on December 23, 2016 at 5:16 pm

Aligning myself with you perhaps would be better huh?

• Whiteguy on December 23, 2016 at 5:53 pm

White men do treat women better.

• Alicia Lee on December 23, 2016 at 6:34 pm

I guess your sister dated all the white men and knows this first hand and told you that huh?

• Whiteguy on December 24, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Wrong again. No sister in my family.

Sounds like you need one though very bitter. No family to visit for the holidays?

• Alicia Lee on December 27, 2016 at 11:24 am

I had plenty of family to visit and that visited us. And I’m far from bitter, I’m actually a really loving and caring person which is why I have a hard time with people like you who are so bitter and evil and full of hate towards others. I really wish you’d change your heart. Enjoy the rest of your life!

• Whiteguy on December 28, 2016 at 6:06 pm

So you are mad at me because in my own opinion I do not agree with a football player not standing for the national anthem?

So but being ex military I do not look kindly on that type of behavior and I am entitled to that opinion.

If that makes you mad than that is your issue not mine. Again I do not adjust my behavior to compensate for someone else.

• Alicia Lee on December 28, 2016 at 6:22 pm

At the end of the day, I am not the biggest fan of sports players so really I don’t care if you hate him or not but I know many a marine that feel as he does because they fought for a country where some of it’s residents that benefit from their fight, don’t respect them or people like them. Nor do these people give them the same appreciation or recognition of being apart of the wars because of their skin color.
            What I am “mad” at you about is being so hateful towards others simply because of the way they were born, non-white. No one can control that and shouldn’t be hated on because of it. You are absolutely right, you have your right to an opinion as do I. But for you to say and think I’m less than you because of what you suspect I’ll be like because of what you’ve seen of a few is enough for me to be mad at you and others like you.
            At the end of the day, I know you and your kind will exist and go on, as will I. I just pray you get over that thought and learn to not judge for one and to find out people individually for who they are and not categorize them.

• Whiteguy on December 28, 2016 at 6:51 pm

I judge on behavior. I have served with blacks. I have lived in the North, South East and West.

I live in a black neighborhood.

I have seen more than enough to know that most are not good people.

I train blacks 2 days a week for my company. They are fired regularly. Not due to their color, but because of their 100% lack of ability.

And I will give you a tip. Hate and not caring are not the same. I do not have to hate people. I simply do not have to care about them nor do I have to try and overlook their behaviors.

Like the recent mall flash mobs this week. Were those predominately white Amish kids or were they black youths?

I guess you never served in the military so I will fill in some info on that as well.

In reality the U.S. military is highly racist. And when I was in we used the word “civilian” with the same disdain as the N word. We all hated civilians as lazy, over paid leeches. For most it was just a job. do not believe all the “we fight for liberty” hype.

70% out of wed lock babies being born in the black community. That is not hate, that is bad behavior.

• Alicia Lee on December 28, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Well move from your neighborhood, find another job and do whatever else you have to in order to live in your white world happily. Feel free to judge us all by the few of those you met. Be that guy! If you won’t do that, stop gripping about “US” and start finding a reason to like us for something or just stay grumpy. I don’t care. I really don’t at this point.

I didn’t hear anything about the flash mobs and white children do things as well. So do kids from other races. Kids are kids until their frontal lobe helps them do better and some adults don’t get it then.

I didn’t serve in the military, I went to college, with scholarships. The rest I worked for and paid for myself, then, not a loan later.

You know what, be how you are and think what you want. You bs thoughts don’t apply to me or mine so whatever. God bless your soul anyway! Goodbye Whiteguy!

• Whiteguy on December 29, 2016 at 6:20 pm

hahahaha. stirred up a bit?

I too went to college and grad school with scholarships AFTER my military time. And I also paid as I went with no loans (although I did have grants).

I like my house. 5 bedrooms with 3 full baths. I could move but I am only 8 miles from my job and the current housing prices are not that good.

Not grumpy at all. God does not exist so he cannot bless anything.

For someone that doesn’t care you certainly get spun up about it. Like a fish that keeps biting the same hook. Bet you answer to this post again too. Here fishy fishy fishy