News » Another White flight attendant refused to believe a Black woman was a doctor

Another White flight attendant refused to believe a Black woman was a doctor

dr-ashley-denmark

via Facebook dr-ashley-denmark

Apparently, some people just can’t believe that Black women are able to become doctors. In the second incident in less than two weeks, another Black female doctor has come forward to reveal how she faced discrimination while on an airplane.

Dr. Ashley Denmark was looking for rest and relaxation while on a flight to Hawaii to attend a college friend’s wedding. An hour into her flight from Seattle, a flight attendant spoke on the intercom and requested a doctor after a passenger became sick. Dr. Denmark decided to stand and provide help. However, she was stopped by two White flight attendants who gave her a look of confusion and asked, “Are you a doctor?” Dr. Denmark responded by saying, “Yes.” The flight attendants then asked to see her credentials. When Dr. Denmark showed her hospital badge, the two flight attendants ignored her and began speaking to two White women who said they were nurses. Dr. Denmark stood for four minutes as other passengers stared at her and whispered.

Finally, one flight attendant told Dr. Denmark to sit down because the two nurses would help the passenger in need. Dr. Denmark didn’t understand how two nurses could be better than allowing an actual doctor to treat a person who needed medical attention.

“Apparently the nurses and flight attendants didn’t think I was a doctor,” Dr. Denmark wrote on the Melanin In Medicine blog. “Why else were nurses being allowed to take charge of a medical situation when a doctor was present?  Surely it couldn’t be the color of my brown skin? Healthcare is centered around group efforts from various medical professionals but, the doctor always serves as the leader making healthcare decisions…Despite overcoming and excelling academically and obtaining the title of Dr. in front of my name, I still get side-eye glances when I introduce myself as Dr. Denmark. Commonly, I’m mistaken for an assistant, janitor, secretary, nurse, student, etc., even when I have my white coat on.”

Dr. Denmark’s issue came days after Dr. Tamka Cross was also disrespected by White flight attendants who didn’t believe she was a doctor.

Both cases reveal how unconscious racism continues to be a major problem in America. There are a multitude of White individuals who wouldn’t consider themselves racist because they voted for President Obama, they have a few Black friends who they get drinks with, and they listen to some rap music. But when confronted with a situation where they must look beyond color, they allow biases to inform their decisions. So if two Black doctors can face discrimination on a plane, it’s highly likely that the average Black person will still face discrimination when seeking a job, a home loan, or career advancements.

“We are constantly overlooked, questioned, doubted and find ourselves in situations where we are working twice as hard as other non-African American Doctors just to prove we are good enough to be called doctors,” Dr. Denmark wrote. “Well, enough is enough. I feel it’s time to share the discrimination I have faced as an African American doctor.  I’m sure I’m not alone and there are many other African American doctors like me who have endured discrimination in silence.”

1. vwlover on October 20, 2016 at 11:45 am

Smh. Unbelievable- no, wait it is. Black men and women will always have to jump through hoops to prove they are just as good as a non-black person and even then it’s still not enough.

• Sol Rothstein on October 20, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Nahh…sorry but this is ONLY FOR BLACK WOMEN…

Black MEN have no problem being Identified as DOCTORS, LAWYERS, ACCOUNTANTS, or ENGINEERS.

When you have a BLACK MAN as President that resolves this issue.

YOU BLACK WHORES, need to clean up your IMAGE NATIONALLY and people will stop believing all BLACK WOMEN are WHORES, Weave-heads, and NO GOOD LIARS…

Drops MIC…

• Clinton Hutchins on October 21, 2016 at 9:36 pm

#Black Lives Matter

• Sol Rothstein on October 24, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Nigga please

• alkh3myst on October 25, 2016 at 7:16 am

Get on Deez Nuts.

2. Chuck on October 20, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Who gives a phuck? Will you Black people just stop trying to help people? This way, your feelings won’t get hurt and then they’ll see that they need us.

• ZeroTo100 on October 20, 2016 at 12:37 pm

now go fuck you mother, sisters, and bro.in the ass,then get a pistol, put it in your mouth ,and pull the trigger!! you are one of the Trailer Trash, Inbreed, ass CRACKERS I WAS Referring to…are you dead yet?

• Chuck on October 20, 2016 at 4:06 pm

Last I checked, I’m Black. Seems you misread my comments. I was just saying that since no one wants to believe that we’re intelligent enough to be a doctor, and when we see non-Blacks in need, just chill and don’t even bother to help; since, they won’t believe us anyway.

• Not about that life on October 24, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Lol I got it, don’t know what the other person was reading into the comments. Not the most enlightened bunch on these gossip blog’s comments sections as you can see.

• Sol Rothstein on October 20, 2016 at 10:21 pm

THESE BLACK WHORES…cannot get the message, KEEP your WEAVE-headed hands to your WEAVE…yuck, yuck…

Both these DOCTORS look like HOOD-DIVAS aka WEAVE-heads wearing white women hair…AKA Liars…about their self worth.

3. ZeroTo100 on October 20, 2016 at 12:33 pm

we should just kill all the Crackers(white folks) off. wow, what a better place it would be…things I dream about!

• Sol Rothstein on October 20, 2016 at 10:47 pm

IF I wanted to make BLACK AMERICA BETTER…I would remove every BLACK WHORE, and replace them with GOOD White women or NON-Black women.

Black women are the problems with BLACK AMERICA…they are all WHORES, LIARS, or both.

• Lavern on October 24, 2016 at 4:55 pm

Want to find an uneducated whore, liar or incest participant, just look at your family tree.

• Sol Rothstein on October 24, 2016 at 5:03 pm

BLACK WHORE…you all have ruined BLACK AMERICA…the most violent place in AMERICA is a neighborhood with a majority of SINGLE BLACK WHORES aka the Projects, Affordable housing and SECTION-8 neighborhoods…

Speak on that…BLACK BITCH.

• alkh3myst on October 25, 2016 at 7:19 am

RE Sol Rothstein: Black women probably won’t go out with him.

• Sol Rothstein on October 25, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Eat shit nigger.

4. sugarntasty on October 21, 2016 at 11:13 pm

21st century presidential election gender version standards forgotten White institutions. Figure mentality leave it victims lost hope has adequate “health coverage” a joke I know standard. Response giving reason why “entrenched” bigotry psychological inferiority no-White Americans excluding LGBTQ we have HIV/AIDS. Not worthy don’t waste time on this progress majority physicians “HMO” non White Indians,Asians and Eastern Europeans. Bias women doctors segregated by male peers forgotten fear, Black person academic credentials inadequate where. Dedication break co-dependency Democrats, establish Black middle class as LGBTQ we’ll have revolution. Those racist never change ignore this ass,furthermore whom majority students. American medical schools well former White males, diverse Asian and Indians lesser Black students opposite Europe ask yourself. Wait for acceptance in society?

5. Robert Slackware on October 23, 2016 at 7:26 pm

don’t blame the airlines, blame affirmative action.
    That she was going to look at them without a liability waiver or insurance card proves she isn’t a doctor.

6. Robert Slackware on October 23, 2016 at 7:35 pm

What crazy witch doctor school did she go to? Doctors don’t see patients till after the nurse gives them the once over.

7. Gail F on October 24, 2016 at 2:24 pm

I can understand why Dr. Denmark was asked “are you a doctor” and for her credentials – when a doctor is on a plane, or otherwise outside a practice or hospital setting, he/she just looks like a non-medical person (unless wearing a badge identifying him/her as a doctor). Once she showed her credentials, the flight attendants should have let her attend to the sick passenger, with the possible assistance (if needed and at Dr. Denmark’s discretion) of the nurses; since they had requested the help of a doctor, not the help of a nurse. Hopefully, the flight attendants have been cautioned. I would think there could be grounds for a lawsuit by the sick passenger for having been denied the proper medical care by flight attendants. I don’t think that ‘being disrespected’ is any kind of crime, unless Dr. Denmark has suffered harm to her reputation or person or income/property due to the flight attendants’ actions. It was certainly a regrettable incident. I find it hard to believe that in this day and age anyone would refuse to believe that a black woman could become a doctor, but stupidity still exists, I guess. Personally, whenever I have a choice of medical professionals, I tend to want to see the one with the most experience and best education and hopefully a distinguished career; regardless of race/gender.

8. Felicia L. Evans on June 26, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Is she sure it was because she’s black? It could have been that she just doesn’t look like a doctor, red lip stick and summer teeth?