Gladys Knight defends Dionne Warwick in Aretha Franklin feud

Photo credit: Twitter – @MsGladysKnight

Photo credit: Twitter – @MsGladysKnight

Aretha Franklin reignited an old feud with Dionne Warwick last month when she blasted her fellow singer in an article, saying that Warwick made libelous comments about her. Now, fellow singing legend Gladys Knight has weighed in on the feud and is defending Warwick.

As previously reported, Franklin revealed last month that she was still upset with Warwick for mistakenly saying at Whitney Houston’s 2012 funeral that Franklin was in attendance and that she was Houston’s godmother.

“She blatantly lied on me … fully well knowing what she was doing,” Franklin said in a lengthy fax to the Associated Press.

When explaining why she waited so long to say anything about Warwick’s comments, Franklin wrote, “There’s been so much going on around her [Houston], around the service, around the drugs, around her and Bobby [Brown] supposed to be fighting, I didn’t want to add anything to that and I didn’t want to be a part of that.”

She then doubled down on her libel claim and said that Warwick has always been unfriendly to her.

“At this point, it isn’t about an apology, it’s about libel,” Franklin continued. “We’ve never been friends and I don’t think that Dionne has ever liked me.”

Reps for Warwick said at the time that she will “not dignify a response to the statement made by Aretha Franklin.”

However, Warwick’s friend, Knight, recently came to her defense when she was asked about the feud.

“I know my sister, Dionne. It ain’t nothing to her. Now Re [Aretha], is a little bit different. It’s just one of those things, everybody got their little knick-knacks going on,” Knight said.

Knight then hinted that Franklin has a history of stirring up drama with other people.

“Dionne is gon’ speak her mind and she’s gon’ tell the truth. Re is gon’ be sensitive and cause a whole lot of riffraff,” Knight said.

What do you think of this old feud between Franklin and Warwick? Let us know in the comments.

1. neec on May 6, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Aretha sit you’re ole saggy ass down,it’s was a mistake get over it. She getting all bent out of shape ( literally). https://media.tenor.co/images/de68a205f5c770723695700ba29723e0/tenor.gif

• M Williams on May 7, 2017 at 7:27 am

How about you have several seats! If I were you I wouldn’t make any comments about anyone looks with the way you look trick!

• neec on May 7, 2017 at 10:31 am

My looks are just fine you can’t see. And I can only imagine how you look
        No pic I know hideous. Suck my ass bitch.

• rob_vb on May 7, 2017 at 2:34 pm

Despite Aretha’s imperfections, she clearly is a living legend and will be talked about her regarding her impact in the music industry 100 years after her death.

Who will be talking about you and what will you look like in your mid 70’s?

You clearly could take some lessons in having some class and respect.

2. John C. on May 6, 2017 at 7:14 pm

Gladys Knight needs to mind her own biz.This is between Aretha & Dionne. l’m sure they can settle their differences without her two cents.

• ray jones on May 6, 2017 at 9:13 pm

Gladys was asked a question by a reporter and she stated her opinion…!

3. John Sivorn on May 7, 2017 at 8:25 am

Aretha is a musical giant. But she can be a little short on tact. I love them both. Aretha is who she is let her be. Dionne won’t be bothered in the slightest. John

• Jerome gallery on May 7, 2017 at 10:40 am

I think Aretha is over reacting I don’t think dionne meant her any hone as much as.I love Aretha she is over rescting

• John Sivorn on May 8, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Hi Jerome, I agree with you 100%. We don’t know what’s happening with Atetha’s health which has been poor for quite some time now.

4. rob_vb on May 7, 2017 at 2:30 pm

I really have lots other things to devote too much brain cell energy to than this apparently ages old cat fight. Except to say Aretha is always being sued for not paying her bills. Fact, not shade. And she is worth about $70,000,000 and peeps has to sue her to get her to pay them for goods and services?

Me thinks Glady’s comment about Aretha always causing drama may have some weight to it.

5. WELOVEUSELENA on May 9, 2017 at 12:27 pm

THIS IS JUST A SILLY FEUD….SHOULDN’T BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY….3 OLD WOMEN ARGUING OVER WHITNEY HOUSTON….LOL!!!!

6. Barbara Bass on May 9, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Life is too short to hold on to old resentments and mistakes.

7. Fred on May 10, 2017 at 7:04 pm

As vocalists Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick were the biggest female solo singers of the last century. Both were at their peak in the 60’s. But they managed to chalk up more singles in the 70’s and 80’s and a bit in the 90’s. Both should be proud of their longevity and talents. I loved when Aretha remade Dionne’s Say a Little Prayer. Both versions are very different. And vocally they are totally on opposite ends of the voice spectrum. I own just about every Dionne Warwick album and a bunch of compilations . I never tire of listening to her. As for Aretha, I do own a box set of her albums, and do appreciate her talent, but tend to listen to her much less often.
    Aretha, I don’t think Dionne intended to hurt your feelings. She once said she wished she could posses your powerful voice. I read it on one of Dionne’s linear notes (inside cover of a CD. She actually gave Aretha the Queen of Soul a compliment.