1. Make sure your credit history is clean. Obtain copies of your credit report from each of the three agencies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.Visit annualcreditreport.com. It’s free. Once you receive them, review the reports to make sure the facts are correct. Contact the appropriate agency to correct any errors.
2. Assess how much you can afford. Go online to bankrate.com and the mortgage calculator will do all of the work for you.
3. Get pre-approved for a mortgage before you go house hunting.
4. Be prepared to put down 20% percent of the asking price.
5. Check out the neighborhood. Research and make sure the schools are high performers.Visit neighborhood at night to observe after-hours activity.
6. When you find your dream home, hire an independent home inspector.