Music » Jay Z’s Tidal app flops

Jay Z’s Tidal app flops

@Beyonce Instagram

Photo credit: @Beyonce Instagram

He may be one of hip hop’s biggest names, but that doesn’t guarantee success. Just a month following the launch of Tidal, a new music streaming service billed as “the first music streaming service that combines the best high fidelity sound quality, high definition music videos and expertly curated editorial,” Jay Z and a few of his A-list friends including Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Deadmau5, Daft Punk, Alicia Keys, Rihanna and wife Beyoncé, are facing defeat.

Two weeks after Tidal made its U.S. debut, iPhone top 20 download chart, the app nosedived out of the top 700, according to BGR. In other words, users prefer 700 other apps to the music mogul’s Tidal. The issue? The cost. Subscribers have the choice between forking over $10 a month for digital audio-quality, a format similar to Spotify or $20 a month for CD-quality sound. Turns out people just aren’t feeling it. And why would they with apps like Spotify and Pandora offering basically the same service for less and in many cases for free?

BGR also reports that as of April 20, its main rivals, Pandora and Spotify, landed No. 3 and No. 4 on the U.S. iPhone revenue chart, respectively. A first for two music streaming services hitting the top four in sales simultaneously.

And while Hov’s app could make a comeback over time, this rough reality check follows news that Tidal laid off 25 employees on Friday, April 17, including its founding CEO, Andy Chen. According to Business Insider, a memo from the company read, “We’ve eliminated a handful of positions and refocused our company-wide talent to address departments that need support and cut redundancies.”

1. Zac Lee on April 22, 2015 at 9:28 am

welp

2. Kidholli on April 22, 2015 at 1:49 pm

JZ =Poser what a joke

• BinRaleigh on April 22, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Actually it is a good idea, just the wrong platform.

• noneed on April 22, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Jayz is still a talentless hack that jock rides

• denis urbano on April 22, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Actually, I think is the right idea at the right time and at the right place, though not the right people

• DrGonzo7719 on April 22, 2015 at 4:12 pm

More like not the right price point.

• obowmasbananarepublic on April 23, 2015 at 2:03 am

Exactly! His fan base likes “free” stuff!

• Jack_Kennedy on April 23, 2015 at 3:01 am

ahhh ……… the bozomooch mob………

• Wallmantx on April 23, 2015 at 11:19 am

They’ll get a bailout from B.O.
            He can’t have his best friends take a hit. Time for taxpayers to revolt if that happens, because I find their so called Music Revolting.

• Blinknone on April 22, 2015 at 8:39 pm

The world needs another music streaming app why exactly?

• James Wonk on April 23, 2015 at 5:22 am

Because Jay-Z needs to start making money again – can’t keep living off of Beyonce.

Maybe back to selling rock in Harlem is next?

• Wallmantx on April 23, 2015 at 11:19 am

Rock as in Roll or Rock as in Crack

• Gazoo1 on April 23, 2015 at 8:27 am

A bit more talent and voice than Kanye. Both crappy voices without instruments playing.

• Wallmantx on April 23, 2015 at 11:22 am

Now you got something there. How do you find out if a performer sings lousy? take away the music track and hear them sing without it. Ever turn off the radio in the car when someone is singing. It sounds OK when there’s Music, but once that’s turned off and the person keeps singing, you realize your friend cannot hold a tune to save their lives.

• dimitri on April 22, 2015 at 4:55 pm

what do you mean ‘the wrong platform’?

• JeffD_NC on April 23, 2015 at 1:39 am

No, as an artist he’s legit. As a very wealthy person over-concerned about “potential” money he’s losing…he’s just a 1%er who’s a bit disconnected.

• clarehbella on April 23, 2015 at 10:53 am

These 2 need to look after their child and stop with the thug stares

3. jamesben on April 22, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I won’t happen, but I’d *LOVE* to see this ugly, scowling former street thug/drug dealer returned to poverty, chased back to slinging crack on the sidewalk in Brooklyn or wherever sewer he crawled out of…

• James on April 22, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Why? Because he did some bad things when he was younger? And? People change. I did a lot of bad things when I was a teenager but that is definitely not the person I am today.

• JoeRingMail on April 22, 2015 at 2:37 pm

He hadn’t changed, that’s the point. He the same, just now wearing white gloves because he can.

• Puhpoww on April 22, 2015 at 2:58 pm

What “bad things” did he do? You mean sell drugs? He claims he did, because he thinks that gives him street cred. He was just a fat black kid with no friends. He made all that other stuff up.

• Skirts & Daggers on April 22, 2015 at 4:33 pm

uuuuuuuuuh how about MURDER

• ChuckD on April 22, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Why? Because he’s an arrogant dick. The company I work for did some promotions/sponsorships with Jay-Z. He’s a complete asshat.

• booboo on April 22, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Because he is an arrogant, hate filled douche bag.

• 10thGenerationAmerican on April 22, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Doing some bad things? Selling drugs to your OWN people is the epitome of oppression and shackles people to lives full of poverty and despair. You are DEVALUING those people that he poisoned, let alone the children that were probably born to drug addicts, future subjects to welfare and trouble for the school systems, and the aftermath that comes with it. Your comment smacks like the rest of the ignorant, excuse-making, Leftist drones out there that never accept any personal responsibility. This man raps about cooking drugs, how he sold them on the street, and if he was a POSER some other rapper would’ve outed him by now. Has THAT happened yet?

• Marie on April 22, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I’m not an apologist for Jay Z however, the ills you are listing in the black community are not his fault.
          They are the result of 50 years of Democrat policies that has brought this about. Yes, he profit from his songs that glorify this behavior but he didn’t start the behavior.
          People freely take drugs because this is what they want to do. I wouldn’t condemn a man’s entire life base a part of his life. If Jay Z was still a thug he was beat the hell out Solange when she attacked him in the elevator.

• Truth Gun on April 23, 2015 at 12:06 am

“They are the result of 50 years of Democrat policies that has brought this about.”

• zabadu42 on April 23, 2015 at 12:32 am

That happened after the Ray Rice incident. He knew better.

• James on April 23, 2015 at 8:54 am

You sir have zero clue what it is you are talking about. I am absolutely NOT a leftist whatsoever. For all the BS you spew about personal responsibility you are not willing to hold those that took the drugs personally responsible because in the end THEY made the decision to smoke that rock.

• 10thGenerationAmerican on April 23, 2015 at 12:40 pm

I listened to rap for over 30 years so I do have more clue to what i’m talking about than you do. ARE you the type of Liberal that speaks of something that they know very little about, such as standing up for Islam without READING the [email protected]? If you are that type tread carefully lest you catch foot in mouth disease. People do make choices but people who struggle, have dire outlooks on life, are poor, are more prone to try to escape their station in life through “affordable” means such as smoking weed which, in many cases is a gateway drug. Beer would be another gateway drink to hard alcohol once a tolerance is built up. These people do have a choice and they are as guilty as the one who sells it to them for personal responsibility is an all encompassing application. The conservation was about what Jay Z did during his pre-stardom years, he was a drug pusher, AN OPPRESSOR and sold poison to his people.

• jamesben on April 22, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Based on your post, I’m sure you were just as big a dimwit when you were young as you are now.

• DaGoon on April 22, 2015 at 8:42 pm

All you have is short dick talk…little troll.

• jamesben on April 22, 2015 at 9:48 pm

You have projection syndrome, you penis obsessed sh*tstain.

• DaGoon on April 23, 2015 at 4:35 pm

You desperately what people to hear you. Too bad you have nothing of valve to say.

• Chad Burke on April 22, 2015 at 11:42 pm

I see nothing in his post that demonstrates a critical lack of intelligence. Guess you’re just smarter than all of us huh?

• James on April 23, 2015 at 8:27 am

Yeah that’s right because I absolutely resorted to calling the person I responded to names. That’s always a sign of intelligence.

• dimitri on April 22, 2015 at 4:40 pm

jay – z is an avowed Satanist… pushing his beliefs on the public …which is a worrisome, but what is worse is his close relationship with Obama….so wtf is the president hanging around a Satanist….that’s very disturbing

• Marie on April 22, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Perhaps, you should ask Obama that question. Jay Z can’t hang around with the President if the President doesn’t invite him!

• sbell123 on April 22, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Too true.

• Leave Comments on April 22, 2015 at 11:49 pm

Yes that necklace he has worn is super scary. Ordo Templi Orientis, known as OTO, Look it up

• dimitri on April 23, 2015 at 1:50 pm

just did…ty…..but what does yoga have to do with it?….just wondering

• James on April 23, 2015 at 8:23 am

OMFG are kidding me? Obama is a disciple of Saul Alinsky, Frank Marshall Davis, Cloward & Piven, etc etc etc and is running the f*cking country into the ground via progressive policies and people are more concerned with what jay z does in his spare time.

So why do we have a president that immersed himself with socialists, communists, and uber progressives and made it to the white house via a complicit media……………..THAT is very disturbing.

• Grim Fandango on April 23, 2015 at 11:08 am

Because, Obama hasn’t been able to hang with Satan himself. But he’s just a few more drone strikes on innocent families away from changing all that!

• Rich Duke on April 22, 2015 at 6:39 pm

His success is somewhat qualified. The vast majority of money that he has made has been “earned” from a demographic that doesn’t have to prioritize their spending. They have subsidized food, subsidized phones, subsidized housing, virtually no taxes. As such, they have income that they can spend on JZ’s trash. If they had to pay full freight for all the things they’re getting for free, you can bet your bottom dollar that they wouldn’t be spending hard earned and sparse cash on that trash. I get it that “trash” is an opinion. My point is that if they didn’t have artificial money, they wouldn’t spend it on that kind of useless, frivolous garbage.

• James on April 23, 2015 at 8:19 am

What demographic are you speaking of?

• guest on April 23, 2015 at 10:59 am

Lol, you’re nuts! Take a look at the faces in the audience of his concerts. You don’t sell tens of millions and reach the level of success he has attained through that demographic. But I’m sure you already knew that and just wanted an opportunity to spew your racist propaganda. Congrats! You got it off your chest. I’m sure you’re better off for it too.

• Lincoln30 on April 22, 2015 at 9:08 pm

He is worse now. Pay attention to the “medallion” he wears (I spotted it in a pic from an NBA game when he was court side) then look up what it means…it tells you volumes about him without knowing anything about his past.

• James on April 23, 2015 at 8:13 am

Just because someone believes in some weird religion is not a reason to hate them.

• Lincoln30 on April 23, 2015 at 2:04 pm

It’s bit more then just weird. Google it.

• Lincoln30 on April 22, 2015 at 9:31 pm

He is worse now. Google “Five Percent Nation”, Jay-Z wears their “medallion”

• James on April 23, 2015 at 8:12 am

Uh so? He believes in some weird crap and that is a reason to hate him? I am sure that your beliefs are different from mine but I don’t hate you.

• dan on April 22, 2015 at 10:40 pm

James I bet as soon as you get out of prison you will change.

• James on April 23, 2015 at 8:08 am

Nope missed prison dude. Although some of the things I was doing when I was young could have got me prison time I was fortunate enough to wise up and get my life straight.

• James Wonk on April 23, 2015 at 5:25 am

Forget his rock-slinging days, hustling, pimping, whatever.

The person who signed Kanye should be shot. Jay-Z is laughable compared to that former-homo that sang a song about Gold diggers and then married one.

• James on April 23, 2015 at 8:09 am

Sooooooooo, Kanye is a douche bag and that’s JZ’s fault?

• BinRaleigh on April 22, 2015 at 2:37 pm

He has a good idea, he just chose to build his app for a platform that can not take advantage of what he has to offer.

• Marie on April 22, 2015 at 6:17 pm

So, what platform should he had built?

• zabadu42 on April 23, 2015 at 12:40 am

The one I’m about to smoke him and the others with presently.

• Hillionaire on April 22, 2015 at 2:38 pm

he is one ugly SOB

• ChuckD on April 22, 2015 at 3:01 pm

His face looks like a plunger.

• dimitri on April 22, 2015 at 4:43 pm

I believe he’s fully demonically possessed…it changes facial features…check out earlier pictures of him and compare them to the present

• zabadu42 on April 23, 2015 at 12:44 am

That statement is a proven fact. Just look at the pictures of the devil; he used to be an angel but then got those pointy horns & a long pointy tail & turned red & stuff. Rumor has it he stole that trident he carries around from somebody in Brooklyn a long time ago, during a drug transaction or whatnot.

• dimitri on April 23, 2015 at 12:36 pm

I can appreciate your sarcasm…and I wish it were otherwise….but google jay-z and Satanism, and do the same w beyounce…..we have to know what industries and corporations are doing to us…..this is a large part of the music industry. but check it out…..also, there are several well written texts on demonic possession that you should consider esp since santanic worship is now coming out of the closet…a good starter is ‘hostage to the devil’ by malachi martin….a priest, who takes 5 or 6 well documented cases and explores the person possessed, the priest that performed the excorsim, the family and friends of the possessed, and the demon involved-they relunctantly reveal themselves…then explore jay-z’s associations, his clothing line, his lyrics and put it into perspective

• DrGonzo7719 on April 22, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Well, unless he blows several hundred million dollars, that’s not going to happen. And somehow I think Beyonce will hold him off that. And if she can’t, then she’s personally worth tens of millions so she’ll be fine.

4. Jeff Justice on April 22, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Yipes.

5. Sum Ting Wong on April 22, 2015 at 1:56 pm

As if we didn’t know. Dre, he is not.

6. DGA_DieHard on April 22, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Fuck Jay-Z. Fuck Beyoncé. Fuck Kanye. Sick of all of them. I hope they lose a crap ton of money.

• tdwarner on April 22, 2015 at 2:07 pm

I want to meet you and shake your hand!

7. wroka on April 22, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Surprising absolutely no one, hopefully JayZ wasn’t actually expecting Tidal to be a big hit.

8. garylee123 on April 22, 2015 at 2:02 pm

nothing like a good old fashioned jay z song
    “I Know What Girls Like”

(feat. Lil’ Kim, Puff Daddy)

[Verse One: Jay-Z]

Peep the scripts

Gold honey from the whips

Jumped out like YO!

Who the fuck you with

Flash the juice ’cause that’s the rule

Damn I like a girl who spend a little cash for her shoes ***

Natural – Can I get at you?

Saw a spot on the body look nice with a tattoo

With my name, but didn’t want to jump the gun

I Didn’t Know how many niggas was humping hon

I said I never seen a face like yours before

And I been around some cute whores before

That either me or my boys tore it up before

So I’m hoping you different

Let you push the 6

And give you a different life and

Baby if it’s right jump on it in the morning

And ride it ’til the night

Want to buy you real jury when it hits the light

Bitches are momentarily lose they sight

She said

[Chorus:]

I know what boys like

I know what they want

I know what boys like, boys like

I know what boys like

I know what they want

I know what boys like, boys like me

[Verse Two: Lil’ Kim]

So want a cutie with a booty like OW!

Deeper than the MOW!

Airy Shine like TADOW!

But I’m a real bitch so you know I do real things

Only real bitches live like queens – Get it?

Safety deposit in the walk-in closet

Marvel Forts is for matching Rolls Royce’s

In the driveway from Monday to Friday

I be the richest, shitting on these bitches

While chickens cluck giving up the butt

I blaze the cut with the daddy raw buff

You can call me a slut

Who gives a fuck

That’s fine nigga shit

I’m a good with mine

I can tell by your shoes you know what I want

Fuck a prenup give me half up front

My sex be the best so we split these costs

You can stop saying mine

And start saying ours

Got the bomb place, fireplace John Blaze

Victoria Secret lingerie

Ice like Don King

The price was like 8 digits a long way, shit

Got the beachfront view

V1 too

Cop you one cop me one too

On the place, jetski’s park by the lake

No neighbors, make all the noise you want to make

Invite your friends over

Better make their way through

The Benz’s and the Rovers before they reach the door

Vacate, hey wait, a week or more

First class to and fro, freakin off

Got the ham things lot

Champaigne popped

Cruise around the world ’til the damn thing stop

Cop rembrandt, handle, pay the lot

Can’t complain, we balling, true or not?

[Chorus: 2x]

I know what girls like

I know what they want

I know what girls like, girls like

I know what girls like

I know what they want

I know what girls like, girls like me

I know what boys like

I know what they want

I know what boys like, boys like

I know what boys like

I know what they want

I know what boys like, boys like me

• tdwarner on April 22, 2015 at 2:06 pm

shakespeare, is that you?

• Inanimate Carbon Rods on April 22, 2015 at 4:22 pm

The band “The Waitresses” want their lyrics back, J-Thief.

• garylee123 on April 22, 2015 at 6:17 pm

What are the rods for? (if that is what is in your hand)

• zer0sig on April 23, 2015 at 12:56 am

They feature prominently in a couple of episodes of “The Simpsons”.

• Dean Behrr on April 22, 2015 at 5:06 pm

What poetry!

• sbell123 on April 22, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Brings a tear to the eye……..only one though

• GozieBoy on April 23, 2015 at 7:23 am

I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say that I had a deeply spiritual moment reading that.

• ivan on April 23, 2015 at 8:12 am

Sounds like something Mozart would write. lol

9. Blacks_dont_matter on April 22, 2015 at 2:03 pm

I hope he invested his own money.

• ChuckD on April 22, 2015 at 3:02 pm

He didn’t. He’s ugly as hell, but he’s a shrewd business man. He uses other people’s money for risky startups.

10. James on April 22, 2015 at 2:07 pm

It’s the price.

11. bowdown2anthony on April 22, 2015 at 2:09 pm

I don’t think Tidal was ever intended to be successful. People should investigate deeper, probably a scheme hiding somewhere behind the scenes. I’m not a fan of JayZ, but I don’t think he was dumb enough to think Tidal would be successful.

• James on April 22, 2015 at 2:10 pm

If you’re out of touch you don’t have to be dumb.

• BinRaleigh on April 22, 2015 at 2:40 pm

If I wanted to hide a lot of money, spending a couple million on an app and storage isn’t going to do it.

• Puhpoww on April 22, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Yeah right…. JZ wanted it to be a total fail. Ok, uh huh… sure. Keep telling yourself that. Then go put your backwards hat on and tell yourself you look cool.

12. Flyingfish42 on April 22, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Here is an economics lesson for JZ. You have to either offer far better service at the same price or the same service at a much lower price if you expect to pry people away from what they are using now. Failed and failed.

• James on April 22, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Was kind of obvious I think. When I first read about it and saw the price points I thought “That’s not going to work”.

• tdwarner on April 22, 2015 at 2:12 pm

agreed…unless you can get tons of people to buy anything at any price just because it has your name attached. maybe there is hope for us yet.

• Flyingfish42 on April 22, 2015 at 2:18 pm

JZ a big name? Maybe a decade ago. What has he done lately other than visit Cuba and fail to stay there?

• tdwarner on April 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm

i thought they had their own wing at the white house?

• Hillionaire on April 22, 2015 at 2:35 pm

got his azzzz whooped by his sister in law

• BinRaleigh on April 22, 2015 at 2:41 pm

You do realize that morons buy Air Jordan sneakers.

13. Roguewave1 on April 22, 2015 at 2:12 pm

I detest the “music” the founders and money behind this personally produce, but, a month into my free trial, I like the CD quality downloads of other genres I do like. Now, the interface is bit klugey, yet I imagine that will even out over time. I may be a minority, but I am willing to pay for better sound than the crappy MP3 or even the 256 offered elsewhere. I’ll stick for awhile.

• Graie on April 22, 2015 at 3:21 pm

“may be a minority” as if your race has anything to do with purchasing a service, unless you prefer to be classified and marketed to like this website does.

• Lola LePaon on April 22, 2015 at 6:19 pm

i hope you’re trolling. they obviously meant in the minority relating to the people who like/dislike Tidal. as in, the majority of people dislike it, but he’s within the minority. You do know minority refers to more than race right??

• jas on April 22, 2015 at 8:45 pm

You might want to re-read that, silly.

• Roguewave1 on April 22, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I meant “minority,” as in those few willing to pay a premium for premium sound quality.

14. Brett Fuller on April 22, 2015 at 2:17 pm

JZ you thought your crappy service the future but your evil crap is coming to an end- yhou already sent enough souls to hell now its time to pay baby

15. caligula on April 22, 2015 at 2:17 pm

it was a horrible idea to begin with. the market is already saturated with better streaming services.

16. Amanda-John Garza on April 22, 2015 at 2:18 pm

What is with all of these celebrities and those stupid @ss witch hats? You think your down with the Devil? You think your fame is free? Have fun in Hell! -John

17. Keith Ciaccio on April 22, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Take your lucky only once “beat” money and retire…

18. Kenny Sumser on April 22, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Who cares!

19. william_stanley on April 22, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Jay Z. The jerk that had to comment to the world, “Hands up. Don’t shoot” yet needs both of his hands to manage his “pants-on-the-ground” problem. What a role model, but if Obama had a son…

20. Curmudgeon10 on April 22, 2015 at 2:30 pm

JZ must think the audience for his “curated” material has the same money and taste he has.

21. BinRaleigh on April 22, 2015 at 2:31 pm

If I am playing it at home, and I have a top of the line stereo to play it on then it would be awesome to stream it. But if I have to go through an iPhone or iPad, and its audio out connector, it really will not be worth it.

This app would work best on a home theatre PC with a high fidelity sound board, or if it exists a digital sound interface to a really good stereo.

So I would be interested, but it needs to stream to a device that can send the digital audio to a really good stereo. So an App for Windows 8/10 would work for me.

22. Hillionaire on April 22, 2015 at 2:32 pm

H to the haha V to the victoray———-finally something this dude touches gets the kind of reception it deserves….hope big pimpin spent a lotta that undeserved chedda……as a bonus this azzzzz kickin is something Jay can’t blame on the WHITEYS………

• Dean Behrr on April 22, 2015 at 5:09 pm

but he will blame racism

23. TMAC on April 22, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Who?

24. Beacon of Truth on April 22, 2015 at 2:33 pm

The poor fellow. I’m wet with compassion.

25. The old man on April 22, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Probably because it was designed to drain the customer’s wallet instead of providing a public good at a fair price. White flight is happening all over America also, too many bad experiences to trust a gangsta.

26. Hillionaire on April 22, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Jay Z is one hell of a street thug business man……would not be surprised if he has not one dollar of his own money in this stinker and is somehow getting paid to endorse it whether it succeeds or not

27. Izzy Deadyet on April 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Good! Rap is not music and these people are disgusting

28. John Galt on April 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Glad to hear it. I can’t stand him nor his wife.

29. Down Lowbama on April 22, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Maybe he can get Obama to buy them all on the taxpayer dime.

30. UNCLE BOB on April 22, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Who listen’s to this crap anyway.

31. LuJr75 on April 22, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Ahhh-hahahahahaha!!!

32. brett on April 22, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Torrents.

33. UNCLE BOB on April 22, 2015 at 2:50 pm

ROCK N ROLL

34. Andylit on April 22, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Capitalism is the ultimate arbiter of value. It has no bias, no preference, no agenda.

• Marie on April 22, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Success is good however, failure is better because it teaches humility and to savor the sweetness of success.

35. Puhpoww on April 22, 2015 at 2:51 pm

This is great news. JZ is an idiot who loves to take advantage of other, young, idiots.

36. Eric on April 22, 2015 at 2:54 pm

lol who cares there trash crack heads.

37. Heckle&Jeckle on April 22, 2015 at 2:56 pm

why do nig…s change their names, looking for respect. ha ha ha ha

38. Doc Holiday on April 22, 2015 at 2:58 pm

wait people still pay for music?

39. ChuckD on April 22, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy. Jay-Z is a douche and people seem to be using their douche radar much more these days.

40. Carl Wins on April 22, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Rappers are annoying little dweeps. The only people I know that listen to that stuff are posers and clowns.

• anon ymous on April 22, 2015 at 4:38 pm

And the pants down clowns

41. Jeff Johnson on April 22, 2015 at 3:09 pm

A lesson in capitalism. Identify a market need and provide for that need… as good as or better than your competition, at a cost lower than you competition. If you can’t do that…

On a side note I hope the administration doesn’t pass an Executive Order forcing us to pay of this crap as part of some other service we have to pay for and don’t’ want… or… uses our tax money to subsidize “the poor”, who currently get free cell phones / service at our expense, in adding a free music service to their list of goodies.

• Marie on April 22, 2015 at 6:38 pm

You better look out for it in one of those bills they pass in the middle of the night or when Nancy Pelosi’s says we have to pass it before we can know what is in it!

• BrigidBernadette on April 22, 2015 at 10:57 pm

I like the way you think Marie. Blinders off, eyes wide open to reality.

42. ReallyJustKidding on April 22, 2015 at 3:23 pm

“Hands up,don’t shoot” is a lie that didn’t happen

43. slamdance13 on April 22, 2015 at 3:26 pm

hahahahahahaha.

44. booboo on April 22, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Couldn’t have happened to a bigger D-bag.

45. caligula on April 22, 2015 at 3:30 pm

it must burn him up that he’ll never have as much money as Dr. Dre.

you know that’s what this is all about, right?

46. OceanRay on April 22, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I bet he feels “disrespected”. Oh cry me an effing river.

• anon ymous on April 22, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Leonard Pits in response to the Racist Torture/Murders of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsome. Never forget them or the 100s of thousands of others.

47. umusbkiding2 on April 22, 2015 at 3:45 pm

So much for talent…
    “we’re only in it for the money ” posse rides again

48. Lala Dee on April 22, 2015 at 3:50 pm

hahaha sucker!

49. joe_bob_gonzales on April 22, 2015 at 3:51 pm

schadenfreude, anyone?

50. 1911 on April 22, 2015 at 3:54 pm

A legitimate pay to play service aimed at a group whose music genre idolizes and deifies criminal activity, rape, theft and demonizes business ownership and hard work. – fails at it’s debut.

Irony abounds.

51. Jljlmjlmn_Prprsprst on April 22, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Asian countries for Asians.

Black countries for Blacks.

but White countries for everybody?

That’s genocide.

Anti-racist is a codeword for Anti-White

52. Duke Sweden on April 22, 2015 at 4:04 pm

As soon as I saw that picture this song popped into my head…ahem…tweeee….
    “New Country Corn Flakes,
    New Country Corn Flakes,
    Please by our corn flakes,
    They’re made from coooooornnn…”

53. oh_hamburgers on April 22, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Everyone hoping he will go broke is just ill informed. He owns a music label, nba team, fashion line, vodka company and much more. He isn’t just some “dumb thug” like many are suggesting, he’s a brilliant and saavy businessman who has been successful in nearly all areas. That said, I’m not a fan of his, but credit is due for his success.

• Banker Fraudstein on April 22, 2015 at 4:11 pm

and a Luciferian. He is an elitist and part of the nwo, that is how he got his companies because they were given to him.

54. bbbb333 on April 22, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I guess being “cool” doesn’t mean you have any business sense.

• anon ymous on April 22, 2015 at 4:30 pm

He’s only “cool” because kids were dumb enough to believe their handlers

55. C_Trip on April 22, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Someone should have told this moron that most of us aren’t going to pay anything more than about $0 to listen to the crap music of today.

56. Banker Fraudstein on April 22, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I feel really bad for the Luciferian.

57. FaithColeridge33 on April 22, 2015 at 4:16 pm

I guess you can’t pay with an EBT card.

58. Cowardly Lion on April 22, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Good news always brings a smile to my face.

59. anon ymous on April 22, 2015 at 4:25 pm

That guy always reminds me of Rochester on the Jack Benny Show. ” Iz zat chu Mistah Benny ? “

60. Skirts & Daggers on April 22, 2015 at 4:32 pm

i would never fork over a penny to those vile people. fuuuck them.

61. jammy jimmy on April 22, 2015 at 4:33 pm

guess he thought just being JZ was enough…LOL…

62. anon ymous on April 22, 2015 at 4:33 pm

He’ll be broke and pan-handling in 5 years

63. anon ymous on April 22, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Rap is the only “music” that can be played with a stick on a hollow log. How low civilization has fallen to call such primitive grunts “art” and such primitive grunters “artists”.

64. dimitri on April 22, 2015 at 4:53 pm

jz attempted to converge on greed, power and control…apple tried to control the music with u2’s latest album…downloading it free to everyone’s iPhone with its homosexual theme and co-inside with tom cooks announcement that he’s gay…did any one see the cover? a guy with his head on another guy’s crotch and in his underwear…..u2 got 20 mil and apple got the rights….that’s how corporate America is going to control the music…a taste of the future…new artists are going to have to sing and dance to whatever current political correctness is being required…..i’m pissed and bono is a sell out

65. ChrisDornerIsComingForU on April 22, 2015 at 4:54 pm

A lot of jealousy on this thread. Go create something. Be useful instead of hateful.

• Cowardly Lion on April 22, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I think I’d rather be like some minorities and just tear down something or laugh when it does go down.

• ChrisDornerIsComingForU on April 22, 2015 at 5:06 pm

That’s because the only thing you have going on in your life on a daily basis is what you’re told to do. Go get some business about yourself.

• Cowardly Lion on April 22, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Unlike you, I don’t have a party telling me what to think and what to say, dimwit.
          For your pleasure, I flag all your posts.

• ChrisDornerIsComingForU on April 22, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Of course coward. In the meantime go do something with your miserable life instead. You haven’t done a thing with your life and its obvious. Except get mad at people who are building things you want to break down because you don’t have enough creativity to add anything. You’re sad. Flag this too. Might be the only original thing you’ve done today.

• Cowardly Lion on April 22, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Hey, I got something you can go do and it’s right up your racist ally. Go pester Ben Afleck to pay up reparations for his ancestors being slave owners. The boy’s got the filthy lucre, might as well go get your reparations. You know you want it, your fair share as long as only blacks are in on it. Kinda like affirmative action and voting for a president just because he’s black.

• BrigidBernadette on April 22, 2015 at 11:09 pm

How DARE you pose as Chris Dorner the MURDERER of innocent people: In the city of Irvine in the evening hours, 28-year-old Monica Quan, and her fiance, 27-year-old Keith Lawrence, were found shot to death in Lawrence’s parked white Kia Optima, outside their condominium complex. Quan, an assistant women’s basketball coach at Cal State Fullerton,[18] was the daughter of Randal Quan, a former Los Angeles Police Department captain and lawyer who formerly represented Dorner during Dorner’s dismissal hearing from the LAPD. Lawrence was a campus police officer for University of Southern California.

He MURDERED the daughter of someone he had beef with at work? And her fiance, for WHAT? TAKE THAT PICTURE AND THAT NAME DOWN, YOU ROTTEN PUNK. Everything you just wrote, trying to be high and mighty, could have been said to the MURDERER Chris Dorner, may he burn in HELL along with you, and Gay Z.

• BrigidBernadette on April 22, 2015 at 11:02 pm

So say an imbecile who goes by the name ChrisDornerIsComingForU
          Are you kidding? Is your business murdering cops? GTFO.
          Who are you to lecture anyone on hate, when you are posing as the very embodiment of insane hate. Shut up. Before the FBI kicks your door in, idiot.

• BrigidBernadette on April 22, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Hateful? Like the MURDERER Chris Dorner, is he your hero, you effin punk? Create what–dead bodies? Is that what you advocate by using that sick SOB’s name and picture? Go kill yourself.

66. Mark 2112 on April 22, 2015 at 4:55 pm

well obviously this is racist…..

67. Shaquan Jamison on April 22, 2015 at 4:56 pm

The reality is Jay-Z is much too stupid to come up with this type of an idea on his own. He is simply a figurehead. His handlers make the actual business decisions.

68. Aki Bola on April 22, 2015 at 4:58 pm

“The Good Old Days” are gone for the popular music industry. I’d rather watch unknowns on youtube, producing simple honest music, instead of the autotuned kids on the radio. I will never pay for that hyped junk.

• dimitri on April 22, 2015 at 5:03 pm

melodic music with melodic voice is out of vogue…..give it time, I think it will come back…a lot of white college kids are taking their parents old records and listening to them almost exclusively…it’s truly missed and will bounce back…I believe rap will go by the way of the disco ball

• Cowardly Lion on April 22, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Kids now-a-days think some idiots on reality shows singing Man Eater are talented. All they are is a bunch of talentless losers ripping off talented people.
      Kids now-a-days are short-changed. They think One Direction created One Way or Another. News Flash to these simpletons, that was Blondie who wrote and sang that and made it popular, brainless twits.

69. Richard Hoffman on April 22, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Not a surprise

70. YTisOutraged on April 22, 2015 at 5:13 pm

LOL. I wonder if the few suckers that joined will get refunds.

71. nsirchov on April 22, 2015 at 5:14 pm

If you listen on a regular basis to these two knuckleheads, you’re a moronic loser. Their music, if you can call it that, blows huge wads.

• Neuro Mancer on April 22, 2015 at 5:16 pm

In order to enjoy this music you need subwoofers that are about a thousand times bigger than your brain.

• nsirchov on April 22, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Subwoofers a 1000 times larger than the brain of their acolytes would be the size of a walnut

72. Neuro Mancer on April 22, 2015 at 5:14 pm

Is this Jay z dude supposed to be someone talented and famous?

73. CHINODESIGNSNYC on April 22, 2015 at 5:17 pm

A room full of icons isn’t enticing enough, that’s the gimmick, Um Jay-Z people are smarter thank you think bro. He probably woke up and was like Yo Bee, lets get all our Iconic friends and monopolize the market….yea…no.

74. Yup on April 22, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I’m JayZ, give me money for an overpriced streaming service.

I’m Beyonce, if you truly worship me, you’ll give me money for an overpriced streaming service.

75. David Boudreau on April 22, 2015 at 5:34 pm

I tried TIDAL for a while. Yes they may stream the music at 1192kbps, but since the source (mostly CD’s I’m guessing) never had that high a sound quality to begin with the resulting sound quality was just the same as XM or any other streaming source. Since I like choosing my music channels based on a genre, not a specific artist their music player didn’t always stream what I wanted to hear. Sorry JayZ your service fell short on many different aspects. Reboot and perhaps it will succeed?

76. Employee of the Month on April 22, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Black isn’t cool anymore.
    it’s a drag.

77. Employee of the Month on April 22, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Listen to every available outlet for music that offers it for free while they last.
    Then, pony up later if you have to.
    I wouldn’t even pay 25 cents a month to this guy if that’s what he charged.

78. PeterBelles on April 22, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Camel face

79. Turd Ferguson on April 22, 2015 at 5:48 pm

womp womp

80. freedomluchador on April 22, 2015 at 5:52 pm

he does have big lips…

• De'Marquise Elkins on April 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Just like Koko the gorilla.

81. Down Lowbama on April 22, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Must be Racism™

82. Kyle Miller on April 22, 2015 at 5:58 pm

The answer to all of this is Rdio. Hands down the best.

83. evilcon on April 22, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Screw JZ. Tech N9ne Bitches!

84. Leo Sanxez on April 22, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Should have let it be free for first 6 months for first 100K users. Get them hooked first if your content is so good.

85. drattastic on April 22, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Let me guess, we’re all racist now.

• Jooie on April 22, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Who cares if they call ME a racist. He and his wife Bouncy, what role models. Unfortunately too many kids worship these two, they know it and all they want is their money and brain wash them. Pretty ironic since they hang with the prez, who happens to hates rich people.

• Marie on April 22, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Really, the President hate rich people? It’s the only people he hang around!

86. Lola LePaon on April 22, 2015 at 6:15 pm

part of the problem is people don’t do their research and only tell half the story – including whomever wrote this article. there are TWO tiers. one is the exact same price as Spotify, the other is $19.99 for producers and extreme music lovers who spend hundreds on equipment, headphones, etc and would appreciate the enhancement. People heard “an extra ten dollars for the same streaming service as Spotify” and got scared off. I think it’s sad because he tried to do something to help the art industry. it’s bigger than the artists. they make their money from ticket sales. there are a lot of people who go into the production of the music we all love and consume, but they cannot afford to continue to do it if all these people who are willing to pay for stuff like bottled water (that most certainly should be free) complain about paying for something they became accustomed to getting for free due to illegal piracy. netflix had a movie streaming service, amazon started a streaming service. it was about offering an alternative. now because he offered an alternative it’s about the “rich getting richer.” Tidal was already offering intimate experiences with some of the artists (like J. Cole) that they may not otherwise get. I appreciate the effort. And anyone who is not a fan is most certainly allowed to have their opinion but wishing someone ill will and saying awful things about them is much more a reflection of you than it is of them. I wish you all love, you sound like you need it… badly! <3

87. Rod Turner on April 22, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Nice picture above, they look like the nightly cleaning crew.

• Jooie on April 22, 2015 at 6:38 pm

What, the Walgreen guy

88. Bo Jiden on April 22, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Hey, people pay way too much for stupid crap all the time, often because some worthless tool slapped his face on it. If idiots want to buy, let ’em.

And if a rich SOB who constantly cries about injustice takes a dive, well hey, you had something to laugh about today.

89. LuvnoRovas on April 22, 2015 at 6:43 pm

this the same dude that sold his sportswear for millions b4 he was legal.

90. Marie on April 22, 2015 at 6:48 pm

When I first read the promo I didn’t think it would work because the focus was on the artist instead of the customers. It came across to me as something I could patronized because they own it and their getting ripped off and I should help them keep their profits. I’m not their mothers! I don’t care about their profits.
    However, I do care about what I’m getting for a service at a price I’m willing to pay. Why should I can about multimillionaires who make more money on a commercial than I’ll probably ever see in a life time? Make me want your service more than I want another’s.

91. Fee-fi-fo-fum on April 22, 2015 at 6:49 pm

For Pete sake. He is a niggerino, did anyone expect this to be a success??

• Jooie on April 22, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Follow the money. When one brother finds it, there is a hundred more brothers that appear and want their cut.

92. Symore Butts on April 22, 2015 at 6:50 pm

did anyone not see this coming, aside from jazzy?

• Marie on April 22, 2015 at 7:00 pm

the artist who sided with him obviously, didn’t see it coming!

93. nala on April 22, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Jay-Z has ever had any talent in the first place.

94. thrstr on April 22, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Jay Z’s steaming pile of . . .

oh streaming, – sorry

95. Bunky on April 22, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Who’s jz?

96. Jack Crowe on April 22, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Jay Z, another dumb nigg with a lot of money made peddling his garbage “lyrics” to the dumb ghetto black folk who cry “Mofocka police brutalitaz” every day!
    Sick and tired of these whiny and dumb motherfuckers.

• Jooie on April 22, 2015 at 6:59 pm

Forgot “beat my hoe”

97. Tony Taylor on April 22, 2015 at 7:06 pm

What is Hov?

98. 0_0 on April 22, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Can’t think of too many black owned businesses that succeed.

• Bill Jefferson on April 22, 2015 at 9:15 pm

The DMV, maybe? Is that a “success”? It never seems to go away, so it must be.

99. Kenye on April 22, 2015 at 7:12 pm

I am still pissed that JZ forced Beyoncé to have ugly babies.

100. TruthDetector on April 22, 2015 at 7:22 pm

If the rest of us were only as ‘smart’ as Jay-Z he wouldn’t be a failure right now.

101. Major Payne on April 22, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Sorry, Mr. Mogul.

102. Blitzcrraig on April 22, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Bush’s fault — Just ask Kanye — sniffle sniffle….

103. 1azuce on April 22, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Global Warmings fault, and raycissssss somefing.

104. Fear Monkey on April 22, 2015 at 7:36 pm

He got 700 problems…he needs to Get his bud kanye out there saying he invented it cause he a genius and its the best music app OF ALL TIME!

105. 1azuce on April 22, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Where’s Tidal? In the box, to da left, to da left.

106. Jeff Go on April 22, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Yeah well newsflah: jayzee’s moozic sucks and he’s a racist fuck to boot. So go figure.

107. Ron Paulyes on April 22, 2015 at 8:03 pm

he was praying he invented something like beats by dre. $$$$$$ set back – a ton.

108. Ron Paulyes on April 22, 2015 at 8:05 pm

jay-z has a new song — i got my ass spanked hard, real hard, blah blah blaah………………… mf

109. NW Watchdog on April 22, 2015 at 8:13 pm

But it’s Number 1 In Cuba.

110. buke lacktavose on April 22, 2015 at 8:15 pm

He should stick to his former vocation, Street level drug dealet.

111. zgary on April 22, 2015 at 8:27 pm

It’s because we are all racists in 3..2..1….

112. Reginald Boynton on April 22, 2015 at 8:28 pm

network protocols be rayciss

• De'Marquise Elkins on April 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm

SHHHHEEEEEEEIIIIT !!!

113. Paragordius Obamai on April 22, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Booooooooooooom! Ya’ll got lit up cuz!

114. Billy Smith on April 22, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I pay for google play music for only $7.99 a month with no complaints. I like it. I think it is very good. I think there probably is some people that don’t like it. I think she likes it to because she always uses it and never says anything bad. That’s what I like about her, she is really nice. She is allot nicer then most women out there, I would think. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am. I am really smart, that’s what she told me. I like to think I am. That’s what make google play music so good. I think I love it. I am off to listen to some more music. I like music.

115. lucy on April 22, 2015 at 8:43 pm

If this venture had been taken on by artists in the music industry who actually struggle because of the way music is delivered to people now, rather than a bunch of millionaires complaining they aren’t getting the profits they should because of apps like Pandora, maybe this would have stood a chance. Maybe more people would have gotten behind it. I have a hard time getting behind something created by mega rich celebrities to get richer.

116. De'Marquise Elkins on April 22, 2015 at 8:53 pm

INTERNET BEEZ RAYISS !!!

117. Bill Jefferson on April 22, 2015 at 8:54 pm

“Jay Z and a few of his A-list friends including Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Deadmau5, Daft Punk, Alicia Keys, Rihanna and wife Beyoncé, are facing defeat.”

So it’s all ghetto rap crap? No wonder it’s dead.

118. ssgtnelson on April 22, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Anything with this guy’s name on it is something I avoid.

119. god on April 22, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Couldn’t of happened to a nicer crack dealer. Jay-Z is garbage. He is incredibly over rated as a rapper and artist.

120. Lincoln30 on April 22, 2015 at 9:35 pm

I would pay $20/month but not to a member of the “Five Percent Nation”.

121. Weary on April 22, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Serves the devil worshippers right.

122. Shep on April 22, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Why would anyone pay for any app?

Everything is available for free if you know how to look.

123. jrford on April 22, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Does Jay Z really believe people want to pay to hear Kanye West, Nicki Minaj, Deadmau5, Daft Punk, Alicia Keys, Rihanna, Beyoncé, and him 24/7?

Not on your life!

124. BrocinChina on April 22, 2015 at 10:07 pm

the rape rap rapier.

125. De'Marquise Elkins on April 22, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Does Tidal accept EBT ?

126. steve phillips on April 22, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Looks like a Booty Flop instead of the Booty hop

127. snuff1 on April 22, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Tidal was a music streaming service? I thought it was an org where a bunch of d-bag pop stars sat around a table and talked about the coming TIDAL waves caused by man made global warming

128. Duodecal on April 22, 2015 at 10:19 pm

I’m sure his Bro Obama will start making appearances on the Hip Hop sites – countries gone to carp – might as well help a best Bro – while shoving it to all Americans.
    I wonder if Illegal Hispanics dig that Cop Killa sht?

129. arthur on April 22, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Won’t somebody please think of the innocent “artists” that signed on as an owner. They can barely afford to feed their children. Madonna’s $800 million will barely be enough to keep up with her plastic surgery bill over the next few months.

130. BigJoeSmith on April 22, 2015 at 10:21 pm

A brief history of Tidal: http://newslines.org/tidal/

131. Kitty Claws on April 22, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Well, it looks like a flop in a streaming app is one of the 99 problems, but at least a b!tch is still not one.

132. Scottymac on April 22, 2015 at 10:32 pm

There is no fidelity worth $20 a month. Buy the CD’s if you are an audiophile.

133. John Boom on April 22, 2015 at 10:47 pm

How many more of these sites do we need? Like opening a new burger joint next to McDonalds

134. bubba60609 on April 22, 2015 at 11:12 pm

He was banking on the hope that people are really, really stupid and would pay anything just to “hang” with JayZ. Wrong!

135. BrigidBernadette on April 22, 2015 at 11:18 pm

This is my analysis of the promo video where he had Madonna, Nikki Minaj, and various other ‘artists’ meet like they were doing something:

Joyless. Totalitarian. “Taking a stand.” Against what exactly? The appropriation of political metaphors is absurd. This is the opposite of fun. The opposite of vitality, of the living, of rock n roll. Not a single independent artist could be bothered to be invited? I didn’t hear a note of music, just the goose-stepping throb of jack boots, marching like fascist bundled sticks and hammers, into oblivion. A cold corpse of a once breathing living artist, laid out in the modern morgue of soul-crushing technology. No end-user presented. A huge symbolic oversight. Where and who is the consumer of this product? What do they look like, where do they live, how do they interact with this product? What does the product itself look like? How will I recognize it when I see it?

Why was there no song produced for this piece? Why no reference made to musical break-throughs–Elvis on Ed Sullivan, the Beatles landing in America, Rapper’s Delight, Johnny Cash giving us the finger, The Who destroying the equipment, the Sex Pistols in your face, the DIY punk band copying their cassette covers at Kinkos, making flyers for their show by hand? Then segue into the newness of this. It would lend it a narrative, all nonsense of course, but at least it would demonstrate the process and execution of music, and the constant rebirth it affords to the artist and the audience. I saw a boredroom of mostly has-beens being boring, doing boring things, sitting, speaking into a microphone when they are all seated together at a table, and no image whatsoever of the audience, of the person who puts on a record, turns on the device, and listens. Want to know why the old Maxwell cassette tape advertising photo of the guy in the chair, ‘blown away,’ is iconic? Because it showed the listener, not the performer. It showed, with no words, the experience of the listener. He needed no face even, no facial expression conveyed, because the image was clever enough to symbolize the experience of the person who used the product. This ad showed me no product, no music, no human being using the product, nothing but a pack of boring sounding, boringly dressed, stinking rich, non-musical people sitting at a table.

Why should I want it? All I hear is sales pitch crap from the so-called artists in
    this promo. This is a product for them, not for me, for their benefit, not for me. Who produced this piece, and how much were they paid to communicate nothing?

Napster was revolutionary. And the music industry destroyed it. They’ve done everything in their power, including prosecuting grandmothers and little girls for downloading “You Are My Sunshine,” to place limitations on how the audience consumes music. Think we’ve forgotten that RIAA? They fought technology tooth
    and nail every step of the way, in order to control control control. This represents nothing to me but more control. This is Apollo, this is not Dionysus. This is death, not life. This is silence, not music.

• Reginald Boynton on April 23, 2015 at 12:26 am

wow, good stuff.

136. Truth Gun on April 23, 2015 at 12:04 am

Wow. That nose-dived quick. Premature Tidalization.

137. TSJones97 on April 23, 2015 at 12:52 am

Okay, I’m going to talk about Tidal and and Tidal ONLY. Jay Z was correct in that there was a market for high fidelity music and sound. Not that MP3 crap. But he misunderstand the sophistication of his very own audience. Kids and the general public. The Hip Hop market can survive without the higher fidelity of lossless formats like .wav and .aiff because the music sounds pretty much the same with the smaller compressed formats. The only time you really hear the difference is with big orchestral music or popular music that has a lot of clear singing or instrumentals. Most of the general public can’t tell the difference and let’s face it, the average Smart phone user is NOT a music aficionado to the extent that they will pay more for higher fidelity. I am one of those music fanatics who will pay more for good quality audio, but I’m not a Hip Hop fan (nor a fan of Techno, House, or speed metal, all genres which relay less on crystal clear fidelity than the beat or other sounds which are okay when distorted). He was right in that there IS a demand for it. He just miscalculated who the market was. It certainly is not the people who purchase his music, it seems.

138. CalifleftyinIdaho on April 23, 2015 at 12:54 am

Greedy 1%’ers get a slap of reality. Your price point is waaaaaay too high.

139. your over their on April 23, 2015 at 12:57 am

That’s what that anti-American communist Cuba loving racist whitey-hater gets.

140. BASEBALL BILL on April 23, 2015 at 1:04 am

It’s still funny and so true pertaining to one of our founding fathers, (Ben Franklin) “A fool and their money are soon parted”. LOL
    And this is a very good example where the EGO got way ahead of the TALENT.

141. VertexWolf on April 23, 2015 at 1:46 am

Someone saw him coming a mile away.

142. lolatthefakesjws on April 23, 2015 at 2:04 am

well, trying to charge people for a re invention of existing things, um kinda like taking someone elses music changing the speed adding a electronic bassline and making up a few nursery rhymes… wonder why it flopped? kind of like how every album sells less and less after the first one.

143. Charles Corso on April 23, 2015 at 2:11 am

What’s a Jay Z?

144. fr0thing on April 23, 2015 at 2:15 am

Nice globalist flag shirt there Beyonce. NWO

145. obowmasbananarepublic on April 23, 2015 at 2:29 am

I guess he didn’t think about his fan base. They like “free” stuff!

146. JhoffaX on April 23, 2015 at 2:41 am

lawl.

147. George on April 23, 2015 at 3:48 am

People ain’t stupid. They know Bey and Jay have a ton of money as it is and they don’t want to help the couple line their pockets anymore than they have to. Mr. and Mrs. Carter have a lot of nerve.

148. kyle.george on April 23, 2015 at 4:36 am

When Jay-Z said “I rape and pillage your village, women, and children” I thought he crossed the line.

149. The Notorious P.I.G. on April 23, 2015 at 5:02 am

You can take 2 hoodrats out of the ghetto, but you can get the smell out of them.

LOL

150. Hillary ..a dried up shrew. on April 23, 2015 at 5:14 am

“……….and expertly curated editorial,………………”

151. MoeDaRat on April 23, 2015 at 5:32 am

I think it’s funny ‘cuz he’s a loser and I get my music free. Only a sap pays for that sh*t.

152. MUSCLES on April 23, 2015 at 6:45 am

Grand opening grand closing-Jay-z

153. GozieBoy on April 23, 2015 at 7:20 am

Jay ZzzzZZZZZzzzz…

154. Tomtom28 on April 23, 2015 at 7:33 am

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

155. Kenya_Diggit on April 23, 2015 at 7:34 am

The art of the song has been diminished to a heavy beat, a few grunts, pre-assembled choruses, and auto tuned lead singers. There is real music out there, but it gets no promotion. There is no more local FM radio to join a community together to develop their own “sound” (Philly soul, Detroit rock, southern blues). Everything is available everywhere, but it’s the cut and dry, formulaic pseudo-pop that get all off the media promotion, and I think people are getting tired of it.

• Henry Lancaster on April 23, 2015 at 8:11 am

Shock….gasp….shriek…
      You mean Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Justin Beiber, Britney Spears, Rhianna, et al, are NOT real artists???? Do you dare suggest that they may be Studio Creations? Are you saying that they are simply pretty faces surrounded by synthetic sounds, prerecorded choruses and auto-tuned vocals that cover the fact that they have ZERO talent????

Next you’ll try to convince me that “country” music has devolved into the same old, same old formulaic Bro Country????

• Kenya_Diggit on April 23, 2015 at 11:40 am

Yep…that’s what I’m sayin’.

Also, No IRS!

156. Scotty on April 23, 2015 at 7:34 am

JZ ” I programz dis mah selfz wit compewtahz.” ” computah, playz music”.

157. annoyed on April 23, 2015 at 7:38 am

i guess when it comes to making money he is down with the 1% HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

158. annoyed on April 23, 2015 at 7:40 am

ITS probably a vast right wing conspiracy….hahahhahaha

159. byeGeorge on April 23, 2015 at 7:52 am

JZ…who is to blame…the Ferguson cops…G Bush…hello

160. Snazzy Snook on April 23, 2015 at 7:55 am

Racist negros,,,

161. Fred Dro Saxon on April 23, 2015 at 7:58 am

Lol y so serious

162. Henry Lancaster on April 23, 2015 at 8:00 am

Priceless photo…

We be looking hard up in da loove mur-zeeum. Whodat fat white lady be???

163. IdgaradLyracant on April 23, 2015 at 8:10 am

Waiting for Al to chime in….

164. ivan on April 23, 2015 at 8:17 am

Why is Taylor Swift not criticized too? She was probably the biggest endorser of this scam.

• Henry Lancaster on April 23, 2015 at 8:27 am

She is Teflon coated. She leads the pack of Talentless, studio-created “singers” yet both the Pop and Country worlds are tripping over themselves to include her as one of their own.

165. KingofFree on April 23, 2015 at 8:40 am

I’ll be the LAST

166. wings9191 on April 23, 2015 at 8:49 am

All I have is, GOOD!

167. potus/PATHETIC on April 23, 2015 at 8:50 am

What a punk, no talent, damn sure can’t sing! He uses beyonces money to further himself! Sounds like an uneducated, drug selling drop out of a worthless black boy!!!

168. Pat Barker on April 23, 2015 at 8:53 am

Maybe his bud Obama will release bailout funds….

169. jpaq68 on April 23, 2015 at 8:54 am

Maybe Jay-Z’s buddy Obama can sign an Executive Order giving him some big tax breaks and/or subsidies.

170. Pat Barker on April 23, 2015 at 8:56 am

99 reasons why Tidal has problems….

171. TioDon on April 23, 2015 at 8:57 am

Ni66App…..I don’t think so. They so often forget that they are only 13% of the population.

172. sheepeater777 on April 23, 2015 at 9:01 am

why would the sheep embrace a music app that was built by and for artists and that tries to pay artists a living wage?

spotify is economic slavery for artists and musicians.

• Henry Lancaster on April 23, 2015 at 9:11 am

Mumford? Is that you? Sons???

• ChopperChopChop on April 23, 2015 at 9:16 am

What’s a “living wage?”

• sheepeater777 on April 23, 2015 at 9:37 am

a living wage = rent, food, utilities.

spotify “royalties” are a sick joke.

spotify is not a streaming service. it’s a download replacement service. where users can build playlists and listen to the same songs endlessly, that is not streaming. streaming is like old fashioned radio. when you can pick a song or 1000 songs and listen to them on demand, that is a download replacement and the artist should be getting paid a comparable royalty.

if you download a song on itunes the songwriter gets 9.1 cents.

if you stream a song on spotify it’s .00001 cents.

you do the math.

and there aren’t enough streams to even come close to the royalty for the download.

• Einstein on April 23, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Yea you’re correct. Personally I dislike these 1%’s & especially Kanye’s continually inflating fat head. I usually seed their music & pay for the music I like after I stream sample it. They have all they need & should be happy. How much more gold shall they have?

173. ChopperChopChop on April 23, 2015 at 9:02 am

So Jay Z thought that millions of people would rush out to buy his more expensive streaming app that doesn’t offer anything that all the other (cheaper) streaming apps don’t already offer, all because… He slapped his name on it? Who didn’t see this fail coming from a mile away?

174. DEPORT ALL democRATS on April 23, 2015 at 9:03 am

Knee Grows can’t afford 10 bucks a month.

175. Einstein on April 23, 2015 at 9:21 am

One thing that didn’t flop was that quality crack rock Jay-Z use to sale. I’m honestly not surprised it failed given how close of a relation you have with Obama. The president who was accidentally concieved when his mother dragged off a truck stop bathroom.

176. brendasdf on April 23, 2015 at 9:30 am

It’s so sad how devalued music has become. America deserves the cr*ppy music that’s out there because they won’t pay for music like they used to.

177. Aldo Raine on April 23, 2015 at 9:35 am

Jay-z sucks.

178. EEDDGGY1776 on April 23, 2015 at 10:06 am

Excellent news. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving guy.

179. Camera3 on April 23, 2015 at 10:07 am

Couldn’t happen to a nicer dooxhbagdumbfuk …

180. John Webber on April 23, 2015 at 10:25 am

Why is it so hard to get basic facts right? Whether a fraternity gang rape or Tidal’s debut date, RS has absolutely dropped the ball lately. Tidal debuted in the US before Jay-Z invested. Jay-Z re-launched it. A re-launch is not a debut.

181. Tom Owens on April 23, 2015 at 10:30 am

given time this will catch on and all of the critics will be silenced. Artists creating music are being burned at every turn. Ludicrous insurance premiums at live shows, massive sales losses due to piracy, and now the threat of the Marvin Gaye effect, where if your song sounds like soul Marvin could have made you must pay up. Pandora and other music services treat the artists like unnecessary problems in the supply chain when in fact they are the reason the services exist. I believe a large number of listeners will come to the conclusion that by using the old model they are aiding and abetting the theft of the artists livelihoods and will ultimately pay the price Tidal is asking. Tidal’s problem stems from starting from the absolute top of one genre in the hopes of trickle down support later. Tidal will not be profitable until a wide array of genres are on board, and smaller bands begin to use the service as a distribution platform. Jay Z, Kanye, etc. don’t need distribution, they get it for free. Generally speaking people understand right v. wrong, and when the various leaders of the hundreds of music genres sign on and state their case, basically we worked hard to get this art out, please pay us a fair wage, it will succeed. Then racist rats like Drudge and Rush will move on to targer another person who doesn’t bow to them.

182. Lexonaut on April 23, 2015 at 10:35 am

“… expertly curated editorial …”

Not interesting, well written articles? I’m reminded of women’s skin cremes — if I say that it has serum of [whatever] then I can triple the price.

183. jefftav on April 23, 2015 at 10:37 am

I wish Jay would have gone out on top like he said he would after the Black Album.

184. Fanatoli Guyoff on April 23, 2015 at 11:07 am

No idea who this guy is or why I would want another service that does the same thing a bunch of services already do

185. Barley on April 23, 2015 at 11:29 am

lol, he didn’t realize that his target demo doesn’t like to pay for anything. Actually they prefer to get free stuff because they can exist.

186. kritikosman on April 23, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Jay Z & Co’ = Deep pockets. Pandora and Spotify, etc = DeepER pockets!

187. De'Marquise Elkins on April 24, 2015 at 12:11 am

N1ggers can’t afford 10 bucks a month for Tidal, but can afford to troll WorldStar for 4 hours per day.

• MR. BOBO on April 24, 2015 at 12:13 am

Tru dat. SHEEEIIITT

188. MR. BOBO on April 24, 2015 at 12:15 am

He needs to invent a chimp-wrangler app for Fergustan

189. Rose on June 17, 2015 at 10:12 am

To all cancer surfferers like me…..,
    I’m Rose, from Australian. this was the choice I had to make then, when I thought my hope of living has been dashed, now am glad I made the right choice. I was at the cafe one evening when I ran into my old friend, after telling her my condition, she told me of how her friend took/taking care of her own lung cancer with the help of a certain West African herbalist. She gave me her friends contact which I contacted the great herbalist through. Behold, since I started his herbal treatment since February 2013 my Stage 3, high grade liver cancer has stopped spreading, the growth has being static. And believe me, now I’m strong am energetic and I’m living my long forgotten happy life again. I’m here because of those of you who are currently going through what I went through then. Worry no more for you still have great chance to be happy again…..for detains you can reach me via [email protected]