Please describe your leadership style as CEO.
As a leader, I have a “create your path and add to my vision” style of leadership. Being creative is important and I know that my vision can be much bigger with the help of others, so when I request an assignment be done I simply state what the end result should be and a time frame for completion. I trust that the work will be brilliant and completed on time, how it is executed is left to the team member(s) to use their own creative and collaboration skills.
What is your mission statement?
At Ilera Apothecary, our mission is to produce effective and conscious personal care goods, promote a holistic healthy lifestyle, and improve how you care for your body.
What three skills critical for the future executive that you hire for your organization?
A future executive of Ilera Apothecary must:
- Be comfortable approaching strangers and feel comfortable being approached.
- This person must be active within the communities they serve.
- They must live a holistic health conscience lifestyle.
How does having an advanced degree benefit you and your clients?
My master’s in public health has provided me the opportunity to explore multiple avenues of health from a holistic point of view. I have researched the effects different products and compounds have on the human body. This has allowed me to source and use safe and effective ingredients in creating Ilera Apothecary.
How do you utilize technology to benefit your organization?
Ilera Apothecary is mostly sold online; therefore technology is a major sector of the business. We are constantly advertising and building our customer base via social media, email list services, and other website promotions. Off-line, we are able to have pop-up shops and use apps to promote our location as well as accept multiple forms of payment, serving as a convenience factor to our customers.
Finish the sentences:
Team work is important because …
It fosters creativity and innovation.
The best way to recruit great talent is …
To build a network that can connect you to them.
Speaking a second language is important because …
It makes the world smaller and easier to navigate.
What social media platforms do you engage in the most?
Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest
What professional organizations do you support?
National Black MBA Association, Detroit Young Professionals, American Industrial Hygiene Association, Executive Women’s Golf Association.
Describe your networking style.
While networking, I make it a point to simply say “hello” to everyone I encounter. Depending on the tone and response, I ask people about themselves, introduce myself and carry the conversation on from there.
If you were giving a graduation speech to college students, what would the title of your speech be and give three reasons for that title.
If I were giving a graduation speech I would title it “Find your Passion, not a Job”
- It is important that a person find their passion because too often people graduate, accept the first job they are offered and miserably stick with that job until they reach a breaking point, so to avoid this find your passion, not a job.
- Whilst in the quest of finding your passion, the universe always finds a way to allow you to create the job you want. It will take many tears, moments of doubt and time, but it will all be worth it because you are fulfilling your life, enjoying each day and being an inspiration to those around you, all the more reason to find your passion, not a job.
- Finally, your passion is your inner drive, allowing you to always have the upper hand in your own life and will put you in control of your future. This is why it is important to find your passion not a job.
Name your two favorite vacation destinations to relax and recharge and explain why you like those locales.
- I love going to my native country of Nigeria. It reminds me to be humble and motivated at the same time. When I am there, I am blessed with the opportunity to witness people hustle for little pay while keeping a smile on their face and a sense of hope in their eyes.
- I also enjoy camping and exploring the outdoors. I am always at peace taking in all the wonders and beauty nature has to offer.
These two relax and recharge destinations have a way of reminding me that whatever I may be going through or experiencing is small compared to the grander scheme of life.
What are you reading and your two favorite books?
Currently reading: Lean In. Favorite Books: The Five Love Languages, and Rich Dad, Poor Dad
Name three business or political leaders who inspire you.
- My father, who I watched build a business from the ground up.
- Louis Farrakhan, who has dedicated his life to bringing unity amongst all people around the world
- Mayor Michael Coleman of Columbus, OH who was able to transform the city into a place that small business’ can thrive and be embraced by the community and local government.
Favorite sports team and hobbies?
The Ohio State University Women’s Rugby team and The Ohio State University Football team
Golfing, volunteering, networking and exploring new areas.
Favorite quotes that motivate you?
- “If one door closes, open it because that it what doors are for.”
- “Never stop being great.”