Celebrity stylist Shun Melson has always had an eye for fashion. After years of working in retail, she caught her big break ten years ago when R&B singer Monica became her client. From there, her career took off. Her dedication to customer service and her honest approach to styling makes her a favorite among celebrities.
Melson has styled Ledisi, Jennifer Hudson, Fantasia, Kandi Burruss, Phaedra Parks, Tameka “Tiny” Harris, Shekinah Jo Anderson, Marvin Sapp, Tasha Cobbs, Gucci Mane, Ludacris, Tyler Perry, and many more. She is also a personal shopper, wardrobe consultant, and has a successful T-shirt line.
Her work has been featured in countless publications and media outlets including Essence, Rolling Out, XXL, People, “Oprah,” “The Wendy Williams Show,” BET and VH1, just to name a few. Melson can also be seen every Sunday with her bestie and client, Kim Zolciak-Biermann, on Bravo’s “Don’t Be Tardy.”
Check out Melson’s eight tips for your looking your best:
- Play up your best asset and camouflage what is not your best asset. Learn your body and play up the parts that are strong and play down the parts that may need work. If you have great legs then wear short skirts to show those legs. If you have great arms, show a lot of your arms. If you are not comfortable with your stomach then wear flowing shirts that may camouflage it.
- Invest in a tailor. Sometimes you may find the perfect look, but it may not be the perfect fit. The tailor will help you achieve a polished look. You can go to your favorite retailer and get an inexpensive piece and take it to your tailor who can make it look more expensive. I take a tailor to fittings with my clients so they can make adjustments on the spot.
- Build a solid foundation. Make sure you have the following pieces in your closet: a black blazer, white shirt, black slacks, leather jacket, black skirt, a pair of quality pumps, and a good handbag. You can build your entire wardrobe around these pieces.
- Don’t go out and buy every trend. Every trend is not for everybody. However, it is fine to buy a trendy accessory that can be paired with a foundation piece. If fringe is the hottest look of the season, don’t go out and buy a fringe jacket or boots. Instead, grab a fringe clutch and pair it with a classic look.
- Your hair is your best accessory. Whether you are rocking a bob in the spring and braids in the summer, change your hair up every season. Mixing things up makes your look more exciting.
- Show a little skin, but not a lot. Pick and choose what areas you would like exposed. If your legs are out, your cleavage should not be. Don’t give it all at once. You don’t have to reveal everything to be sexy.
- Speak volumes before you say a word. Your presence should command the room before you open your mouth. Confidence is the sexiest thing a women can wear.
- Hire a stylist. Some people may feel they can not afford a stylist. There are stylists for every budget. People often waste money on items they will never wear. That money can be used towards someone that can help you pick out solid wardrobe selections that you will consistently wear.
Shun Melson is passionate about sharing her knowledge with others. She serves as a mentor and offers her course FaShun 101 to aspiring stylists. For the past year, the class has toured nationally. Attendees learn all aspects of the business side of the industry as well as styling techniques and secrets. The next class will be offered in Chicago on Oct. 10.
For more details about Shun Melson and FaShun 101 go to www.shunmelson.com.