Tyler Perry reprises his role as Madea in Boo! A Madea Halloween, which is slaying at the box office. It was the top film for the second consecutive week, raking in $16.7 million for a total of $52 million, box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations said.
The Lionsgate comedy, also written and directed by Perry, is just the laugh theatergoers needed in the midst of the heated presidential election between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.
In a recent interview with the press, Perry said he believes the film couldn’t have come at better time, “Everybody take a breath and just laugh. So much is going on in this country, we just need to laugh.
“People have this grandmother in their lives. She told the truth, she wasn’t politically correct, she said what was on her mind, and people just loved her.”
According to the film’s synopsis, Madea winds up in the middle of mayhem when she spends a haunted Halloween fending off killers, paranormal poltergeists, ghosts, ghouls and zombies while keeping a watchful eye on a group of misbehaving teens.
Tiffany (Diamond White) sneaks out of the house to attend a Halloween fraternity bash and here comes Madea (Perry) crashing the party.
Top 10 at the box office ending Sunday, Oct. 30:
1. Boo! A Madea Halloween, $16.7 million.
2. Inferno, $15 million.
3. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, $9.6 million.
4. The Accountant, $8.5 million.
5. Ouija: Origin of Evil, $7.1 million.
6. The Girl on the Train, $4.3 million.
7. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, $4 million.
8. Keeping Up With the Joneses, $3.4 million.
9. Storks, $2.8 million.
10. Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, $2.1 million.