What does Castro’s death mean for Assata Shakur?

Assata Shakur - Photo Source: instagram @halieselassie96

Assata Shakur – Photo Source: Instagram @halieselassie96

Former Black Panther Assata Shakur may be adversely affected by the recent death of Cuba’s former leader Fidel Castro.

Shakur explains in her own words what happened and why she currently has political asylum in Cuba: “My name is Assata (‘she who struggles’) Olugbala ( ‘for the people’) Shakur (‘the thankful one’), and I am a 20th century escaped slave. Because of  government persecution, I was left with no other choice than to flee from the political repression, racism and violence that dominate the US government’s policy towards people of color. I am an ex-political prisoner, and I have been living in exile in Cuba since 1984. I have been a political activist most of my life, and although the U.S. government has done everything in its power to criminalize me, I am not a criminal, nor have I ever been one. In the 1960s, I participated in various struggles: the black liberation movement, the student rights movement, and the movement to end the war in Vietnam. I  joined the Black Panther Party. By 1969 the Black Panther Party had become the number one organization targeted by the FBI’s COINTELPRO program. because the Black Panther Party demanded the total liberation of black people, J. Edgar  Hoover called it “greatest threat to the internal security of the country” and  vowed to destroy it and its leaders and activists.”

The lines of communication have opened between Cuba and the United States after a vote by the United Nations urged the United States to lift the economic embargo in 2015. As a result of this vote, both countries are now on speaking terms and travel restrictions are being lifted.

The FBI is currently offering a reward of up to $1M for information leading to the arrest of Shakur. She was charged with a murder in 1973. She was found guilty of first-degree murder in 1977 and was sentenced to life in prison. She escaped and now lives in Cuba.

Now that the two countries are communicating, what will they be willing to do to sweeten any deals that may be in the works? Will Shakur be used as a pawn? The campaign #HandsOffAssata has focused on keeping her free. There is a cry for President Obama to grant her a pardon before he leaves office. Raul Castro is currently the leader of Cuba and has been since 2008. What will happen to Assata now that Fidel is gone? Twitter is talking.

1. Sol Rothstein on November 26, 2016 at 9:44 am

She will be fine. NOBODY is going after her. CIA don’t care at this point. MONEY is to be made in CUBA…BIG money.

• Rashad Young Shogun Persons on November 27, 2016 at 2:15 am

Is it safe to assume this comments motivation is to provide a false sense of security since your living is hating Black Women?

• Sol Rothstein on November 27, 2016 at 11:27 am

DICK FACE aka Boy PUSSY.

I love GOOD BLACK WOMEN…I despise NIGGERS, CITY APES, THUGS, THOTS, WHORES and your MAMA…because she all of the above.

NOW FUCK OFF — Black BASTARD !!!!

• Mike Gee on November 27, 2016 at 11:41 am

You are so insignificant that you feel u must type in bold to be seen. You are stupid and have no life. Each time I log in, here you are, the miserable snowflake who calls racist names and hides behind a fake name…why dont you show yourself tuff guy? Better yet i wager 100 that you will run like the coward snowball you are if I ever saw you in public.

• Sol Rothstein on November 27, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Sir,

If you saw me in REAL LIFE…I can guarantee, you would SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH and play bitch.

I am 6-4″ 255 lbs and played Basketball in College. Please don’t get your ass whipped like your LOST DADDY used to get whipped.

YOU BLACK MEN love to push for a fight, and always get beat down by WHITE MEN.

Africa – RUINED.

Asia – RUINED.

Middle East – RUINED….all by WHITE MEN…they have dominated the BLACK MAN.

NOW SHUT YOUR MOUTH — DICK FACE aka Boy PUSSY.

• Mike Gee on November 27, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Well you aren’t in africa or Asia and this isn’t the 1800s. Im 6’5 250, played football, military and boxing. You wouldn’t last one second snowball. Men who constantly yap and yap are not men of action…hell you arent even a man. You post to much to be anything other than some weakling who only has the web as a voice. Why dont you post a pic of yourself mr alt right? Come to Atlanta or tell me where you are located. Funny when the challenge is put out there you cower and discuss your height and size like that matters to me. U can be 8 ft tall and still get chopped down. Enough of playing with you snowball. Just like your predecessors you aren’t interested in doing anything but name calling and tuff talk. Thanks for proving that you are not about this life…coward.

• Sol Rothstein on November 27, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Then it would be an EVEN MATCH….COME SEE ME…Mutha FUCKA…you so bad…

• Mike Gee on November 27, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Address time and date gomer…it would be my pleasure to slap some respect into those rosy cheeks lol

• Sol Rothstein on November 27, 2016 at 12:27 pm

ANYTIME…
            address:
            122 Delancy St. Ste 125
            Brooklyn NY

NOW COME see me MUTHA FUCKA…please

• Telia White on November 28, 2016 at 1:45 am

Dont waste your time with evil corrupt individuals..Hate will consume them

• Sol Rothstein on November 27, 2016 at 12:25 pm

DICK FACE aka BOY Pussy…you can’t even tie your shoes…but you played football…YOU MEAN you played with YOUR FOOT on some other males BALLS.

• Mike Gee on November 27, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Seems you have some homophobic issues you need to address as well lol

• xenonman on November 27, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Don’t forget Haiti – also a ruined cesspool!

• Freud Voltaire on November 28, 2016 at 9:00 pm

Neanderthals, also known as intellectually and morally deficient sub-humans on display.

• KevMac on November 30, 2016 at 8:35 am

He should be ignored. He a miserable hateful person.

2. xenonman on November 26, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I’m surprised no opportunistic Cuban official in a position to do so has not yet kidnapped her for the reward money. All someone would have to do is just bring her to the US Embassy, and get a quick $1 million in cash.

• Rashad Young Shogun Persons on November 27, 2016 at 2:10 am

Read about what happens to thieves in Cuba

• Jason on November 27, 2016 at 11:27 am

Go away

• xenonman on November 27, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Why don’t you?

3. xenonman on November 26, 2016 at 12:27 pm

She’s probably safe, at least until Raul finally dies.

4. Sundiata Bradshaw on November 30, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Can I ask my folks WHY WHY WHY do you reply to this “Sol Rothstein” person? A lack of replies and this azzhole will no longer have a reason to post. I assume they will reply to this post. No reply and they will have to move on to the next post. Let’s at least give it a try and see 🙂

• LA on December 1, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Blocking him works also… Just did it?