Spike Lee bans Chrisette Michele from new series over Trump performance

Photo Credit: Chrisette Michele's Instagram (@chrisettemichele)

Photo credit: Chrisette Michele’s Instagram – @chrisettemichele

Chrisette Michele is the latest Black celebrity to receive backlash over her affiliation with President-elect Donald Trump. The singer is scheduled to perform at today’s presidential inauguration as Trump takes the oath of office. But her decision has cost her the respect and opportunity to be a part of an upcoming project with famous Black director and filmmaker Spike Lee.

Lee posted the following to Twitter:

“Good Morning Folks. I Wuz Sorry To Read That ‘Sistuh Girl’ Is Singin’ At DT’s Inauguration (And To Use His Fav Word-SAD). I Wuz Thinkin’ ’bout Using Chrisette’s Song- BLACK GIRL MAGIC In My Netflix Series SHE’S GOTTA HAVE IT…. NOT ANYMORE. And Dat’s Da Truth, Ruth.”

Michele has addressed the backlash in an open letter that reads:

“My heart is broken for our country, for the hopes of our children, for the fights of those who came before us. I cry at the thought that Black History, American History might be in vain. This country has had great moments. God has shined His light upon us. Today, I hope that Great Moments begin in peaceful & progressive conversation. I am willing to be a bridge. I don’t mind ‘These Stones,’ if they allow me to be a voice for the voiceless. I am here. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said, ‘Our lives begin to end, the day we become silent about what matters.’ I am here, representing you, because this is what matters.”

Supporters and critics have sounded off over the issue, with many stating that her use of a quote by Dr. Martin L. King Jr. is inappropriate considering that she is singing for Trump. Over the heated election cycle, Trump proved himself to be a lying, racist, misogynistic bully who has incited political violence against his opponents.

Other entertainers such as Elton John, Bruce Springsteen and more have refused to participate in the inauguration of Donald Trump, who famed civil rights leader Congressman John Lewis said is not a “legitimate” president.

1. Mike Gee on January 20, 2017 at 11:45 am

I think Michelle is being a bit disingenuous here. Invoking Dr Kings message when in essence she needs the check. Just keep it real, we wont judge as long as you do.

2. butch31 on January 20, 2017 at 3:03 pm

Interesting…I thought we wanted to make America better? This just solidifies my thoughts of Spike Lee. This is tacky and unprofessional.

• Mike Gee on January 24, 2017 at 6:30 am

yep, spike has always been unapologetic in loving his people. Im sure spike cares nothing about your thoughts of him. If you are going to stand on the sidelines and judge at least get out of the way and stop hating on those trying to make progress.

• butch31 on January 24, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Spike Lee=C O O N! He is wrong for trying to divide people! GOD will take care of this situation

• Mike Gee on January 24, 2017 at 12:55 pm

really? GOD is gonna kill Spike Lee?? Tell him not to do that..that isnt very christain.

• butch31 on February 4, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Mike why did u say GOD is going to kill Spoke Lee? Please clarify

• Mike Gee on February 5, 2017 at 1:13 pm

You said GOD will take care of spike?? Im confused

• butch31 on February 12, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Right…but u said GOD will kill Spike Lee, not me?

• Mike Gee on February 12, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Its called sarcasm..smh

• butch31 on February 22, 2017 at 6:04 pm

Please go away…

• Mike Gee on March 8, 2017 at 11:16 am

bite yourself…

• Mike Gee on April 27, 2017 at 8:59 am

make me snowball

3. Mason Youngblood on January 20, 2017 at 8:04 pm

$#!+ man…I really don’t remember growing up in an America where people totally disown, demonize, etc you for not agreeing with them or doing something that they disagree with. Wtf have we turned into? This is not America. This is America that’s gotten away from freedom of choice and all those other freedoms. Man, f this place. This is not a decent place to live anymore.