Tyler Perry explains why he supports his childhood abuser

Photo credit: IG – @tylerperry

Tyler Perry, a world-renowned producer, director, actor, screenwriter, philanthropist, and author, among other things, is now showing the world what forgiveness looks like.

As you may recall, the famed actor’s childhood was littered with abuse. In fact, in a 2009 article, he revealed graphic details about the sexual, physical and emotional abuse he suffered at the hands of those closest to him.

“You … jacka–! You got book sense but you ain’t got no … common sense,” he recalled his father, Emmitt Perry Sr., saying. “I heard this every day of my childhood,” Perry once said. But it didn’t stop there. One night, when his mother was gone, Perry claimed that his drunken father “got the vacuum cleaner extension cord and trapped me in a room and beat me until the skin was coming off my back.” Meanwhile, his grandmother who described him as a weakly child tried to cleanse him by bathing him in ammonia.

According to Perry, the abuse occurred elsewhere as well — in a close friend’s home when he was just 10 years old. “I was at the front door trying to get out when she came in and laid on the sofa and asked me if I wanted the key. I told her I had to go home as it was getting dark. She put the key inside of herself and told me to come get it, pulling me on top of her,” Perry wrote on his site.

The violence in the home caused Perry’s mother to pack up and with him and his sisters in tow, move from Louisiana to California. Her husband reported the car stolen, resulting in their arrest and jail time. Perry said that after his father bailed them out, Perry Sr. beat his mother all the way home.

In spite of it all, Perry, who turned to God to make it through, revealed he still cares for Perry Sr.

“As terrible as he was, and as horrible as he was, he never once left us. We were never hungry. And every time he’d go to work, all week, he’d bring all the money home,” Perry explained on “Oprah’s Master Class.”

“From a child, I had always known that this man despised me,” Perry recalled. “I could not figure it out for the longest [time]. I could not figure out why he hated me so. Every action was about his hatred or his disdain for me.”

While he later discovered that Perry Sr. wasn’t his biological father, he felt a responsibility to provide for the man in the same way Perry Sr. had done for him. “I’m giving him what he gave to me,” Perry explained. “I had shelter; I had food. He has shelter, pretty nice shelter, and any food that he wants to eat.”

However, his helping hand only extends so far. “What I missed from him, being in a relationship, is also what he’s missing from me now. So he doesn’t have everything. He has what’s easy.”

What are your thoughts on Perry’s total act of forgiveness? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.

1. SIVOUSPLAIS on August 26, 2017 at 1:43 pm

I truly believe in “my assessment” of people who do unbelievable, hurtful things is that they have had them done to them at a point in their lives. And like Ms Oprah once said “hurt people, hurt people”. Tyler forgave for himself to move on and to not be bitter, the LORD will handle the rest.

2. Shannon Ross on August 27, 2017 at 9:50 am

I love Tyler Perry for his free spirit of mind without hate,but a get back at you with love and guilt that weigh,s on his perpetrator. Tyler shows a lot of respect as a true man of honor. I know the pain will always rise up at some point. Do keep on stepping on. My own life has bcontinous bouts of abuse still. Use the Lord as your continuous strength.

3. Will Grayson on August 27, 2017 at 12:03 pm

That’s not total forgiveness, he’s providing for the Man without even knowing about what happens to him. In other words, Tyler P has allotted a certain amount of funds to go to his step dad on a monthly, with his net worth, this lil change isn’t even noticed by him…. And he just said they have no relationship, doesn’t sound very forgiving …more like he’s doing it out of obligation.

• Ms B on August 27, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Apparently Will you have NEVER lived through a childhood of abuse. Tyler you are doing your duty as respectfully and honorable as you can. You even gave this man grand attributes acknowledging the good he did in your life. You are not tearing him down only speaking truth. I commend you and yes I do speak on a subject I know well.

4. britishrosee on September 4, 2017 at 1:14 pm

this has to be why is is gay , and closet gay he likes to hide what ever he feels will harm him , his fans mean everything and if they turn on him for being gay he feels it will set him back to a hurtful time in his head , he is still a child in the mind , i dont think a kid ever become whole after abuse of any type. i was molested by acousin and to this day no one knows about it . , but me and the abuser , i was from a broken hom also , step father was bs. and my moma did nothing to develop me as a woman , my daddy never showed up for me . and if not for my uncle i would been lost totally , so i see why perry is so guarded, i love him , for telling his struggles to all to hear. he want to make a difference and i dont believe he is totally happy in his life because he cant come out and be hsiself he had a kid with a serogate mom, he dont love her are want to sex her , his heart is not with a woman , he may have a love but its not a female . and he is gonna be a great dad to his son because of his own lost father. his daddy was never there and the step daddy hurt him in hundreds of ways god bless him he does so much for people . but hardly anyone can help him but god . .tyler just stay with god and he will carry you even farther than you can imagine

5. britishrosee on September 4, 2017 at 1:17 pm

personally i wouldnt of given him nothing , i never even called my step dad, after years of neglect of me. .. perry is a good soul to do this oprah did the same for her mother whom she said , neglected her and left her with vernon who was not even her real daddy i was shocked when that news hit oprah spent years celebrating vernon and her real dad was known. that man was too ashame to come forward and oprah didnt even know about patricia? for all these years on tv. its crazy