If you’ve kept up with all the Oscar buzz, you now know that 9-year-old Quvenzhane Wallis is a force to be reckoned with! The breakout star from Beasts of the Southern Wild, won the Critics’ Choice Award for best young actor earlier this month and currently holds the record as the youngest female to ever be nominated in the Best Actress category. Quickly becoming America’s next big sweetheart, check out five reasons we love Hollywood’s new leading lady:
1. Quvenzhane was only five when she got the part in Beasts of the Southern Wild. She had to lie about her age to be eligible!
2. She couldn’t even read when she auditioned.
3. She’s the youngest ever Oscar nominee. She said, “I almost missed it. I was sleeping.” In addition, she calls the Oscar “golden man.”
4. She chose the actor that plays her dad in the film based on the fact that he brought her sweets.
5. Upon receipt of her Critics’ Choice Award, she pulled out her cell phone to read her acceptance speech. She read, “Thanks to Mr. Benh Zeitlin and the Court 13 family for thinking I could make a good hush puppy.” She thanked God before adding, “Last to my family, friends, and fans. Good night. –ruthie hawkins