Lawyers representing George Zimmerman announced today that they are stepping down from the Trayvon Martin case. Zimmerman’s lawyers, Hal Uhrig and Craig Sonner, told reporters at a live news conference that they lost contact with Zimmerman Sunday and will no longer provide him representation.
Uhrig and Sonner also told reporters that their former client spoke to FOX News host Sean Hannity off the record. When they contacted Hannity however, he refused to tell them what Zimmerman said.
“We learned that he had contacted Sean Hannity of Fox News directly, not through us, and we believe, I can’t confirm this, we believe that he spoke directly with Sean, off the record, and he’s not even willing to tell us what our client told him,” said Uhrig.
Zimmerman shot and killed Martin, 17, in Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26 and has not been arrested or charged in the shooting death.
As previously reported, special prosecutor Angela Corey announced April 9 that she’s decided against sending the Trayvon Martin case to a grand jury. She will make the final determination as to whether or not Zimmerman will be charged.