Black women and herpes

black women and herpes

Statistically, it is shown that black women, particularly between the ages of 20-49 are more likely to have herpes than any other race. About 50 percent of all black women have herpes. With numbers like these it is painfully obvious that something needs to be done to change these numbers around.

Herpes, is an STI or sexually transmitted illness caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1). The CDC estimates that, annually, 776,000 people in the United States get new herpes infections. Genital herpes infection is common in the United States. Nationwide, 16.2 percent, or about one out of six, people ages 14 to 49 have a genital HSV-2 infection. It is easier for a man to infect a women than for a women in infect a man.  Approximately one in five women have genital herpes.

Herpes, when active, can present itself in different ways like one or more blisters around the mouth, genital or butt area. The active phase can last 2-21 days depending on the person. Sometimes it is possible to never have outbreaks. There is no cure for herpes, only treatment for the symptoms during outbreaks.

It is no secret that black women are one race who are desperately seeking love in all the wrong men. Trying to find love or fill some void in their hearts that only loving yourself can fill. Black women are prided on their big booty’s and thighs, so it is easy to think that looks define who you are. With a mindset like that, it is easy to think  “As long has I have those physical attributes, a man will stay with me.”

One possible explanation for herpes in black women is as young women growing up in households, we were taught to not get pregnant. While others learned about getting married. As long as we did not bring home any babies, we were okay. That is a problem. When you are taught about marriage you learn the importance of waiting for a man to truly love you.

As Black women, we need to change our mind-sets and prioritize for the sake of our health. Ask questions. When we do this, not only will these statistics change about herpes and other infectious diseases, but how we feel about ourselves as black women will too.

1. jo on July 5, 2013 at 2:57 pm

because only black women seeking love in the wrong places …bitch please
    and where do you get this 50% from?

2. Khameleon DC on August 1, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Speaking as a black woman with HSV-2. I for one was not looking for love in all of the wrong places as your article states above. I contracted the virus from an ex-boyfriend whom I had known years prior who did NOT give me a choice in the matter and whom had NOT disclosed that he was infected until the end of our relationship. What race makes up the other 50%? What about those whom are unknowingly walking around with HSV because they haven’t been tested and/or don’t have any symptoms so it’s not of concern? This is why the virus is spreading so rapidly and there are millions of people becoming infected annually. A silent virus is what it is and it’s not something that doctors routinely test for during physicals. You have to ASK for a specific type IGG blood test for ACCURATE results! I’m so tired of the stigma and public perception that’s associated with HSV. People need to take the time to educate themselves before speaking about something they know nothing about and probably haven’t been tested for. There are more people walking around with HSV than this article and the CDC knows. The shade is there are people out there with it knowingly passing it around and NOT saying anything.

• Parentis on April 5, 2016 at 5:59 am

Yes~ it sux and doesn’t top sucking, I have type I & II, so it’s even more complicated… Sometimes, it helps when I explain that technically chicken pox is a form of herpes, that way the other person knows they probably already have some form of the virus in their blood and that it is VERY common. Even chicken pox can recurr, although it is very rare. In the meantime, give yourself mad props for having the courage 2b honest with someone you care about http://www.mpwherpes.com.

Make it clear that you are aware of your body and immune system, including the symptoms of the virus, and would never do anything to purposefully endanger the health of another. In the end, rejection may be protection from someone who either prefers ignorance or is superficial enough to buy the lies of an appearance based society.

3. NiaCelia on August 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm

I cannot believe this number! This is a bunch of garbage.

4. Ghouliani on September 17, 2013 at 7:48 am

EWWWWWW! Nasty!!!!

• common sense on October 27, 2013 at 9:40 pm

please lady you better go read the herpes blog common sense you know they are going to say black people have every disease that comes out do your research stop judging people what disease do you have every human get some type of disease if you are having sex with a man any man any color and black men love white woman

• Emelia Acosta on June 18, 2017 at 7:37 am

A white man purposely infected me. In fact, now I view white men as disease spreaders … white devils. Look at what they did to native americans.

5. Mel on October 20, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Hsv 2 doesn’t come from being loose or looking for love in all the wrong places. It comes from people not getting tested in the black communities. This is an ignorant article and you need to stick to a topic you know about whether then writing articles stating because of black women being thirsty that is the reason for the transmission of herpes…. You don’t represent black women as a whole …

6. HerpesWoo.com on December 26, 2013 at 9:01 pm

We need to know more information about Herpes. And protected sex is very important.

7. Guest on November 16, 2014 at 1:05 am

What the actual fuck is this article. It is incredibly racist.

8. Tiphanie Bright on November 24, 2014 at 12:37 am

This bitch talking bout cold sores. Go somewhere and die. It is not only sexually transmitted. This is not Genital herpes.

• Innocent Bystander on May 31, 2016 at 7:10 pm

It is genital herpes, actually.

9. Smiley E.E. on January 25, 2015 at 10:03 am

Black people just like any other race will be “Shamed” by this and will be distracted by the high number..instead of fighting to end the disease
    IT “TABOO”

• Innocent Bystander on May 31, 2016 at 7:11 pm

Well, shame is a strong motivator. It is a very natural human reaction to the truth for a reason.

10. Isabella Vil on March 26, 2015 at 9:05 pm

I got diagnosed with herpes type 2 around 5 years back, when I was in college and had a stupid onenight stand. I am sure many of women will say this but I swear I never did that sort of thing. I jud made a mistake that one time and, suddenly, it looked like I was going to have to live with the consequences for the rest of my life.

The awful part was thinking I would never meet men again. After all, who wants to date a person who has blisters around her you-know-what?

But after someone shared this video https://tr.im/CureHerpes101ib , everything has changed. Not only was I able to eliminate all traces of the herpes virus from my system in less than fifteen days, but I was also able to start dating again. I even met the man of my dreams and I’m so happy to write that just last week, in front of many people in a restaurant, he got down on one knee and proposed to me!! This program gave me back the chance to be happy, and to experience true love.

• Innocent Bystander on May 31, 2016 at 7:12 pm

OH shut up!

11. Lel on March 11, 2016 at 1:57 pm

You’re an AZZ who wrote this piece of nonsense article without conducting constructive research. Where did you get this 50% statistic from? There are many black women who are educated, moralistic and in stable relationships who do not have herpes!

• Innocent Bystander on May 31, 2016 at 7:13 pm

The 50% statistic is provided by the CDC on the basis of a study of over 1,000 people.

• Emelia Acosta on June 18, 2017 at 7:39 am

You can be educated, have morals and be in stable relationships and contract it. Herpes doesn’t discriminate.

12. dinah on April 5, 2016 at 5:41 am

On http://www.findps.com you can find members from ALL OVER THE
    WORLD. We are very proud that we are one of the most popular HIV dating site
    for the Scandinavian region. Many of our HIV positive singles come from Norway
    (HIV Norge), from Sweden (HIV Sverige), from Denmark (HIV Danmark) and Finland
    (HIV Suomi). We are one of the biggest sites for HIV positive dating in the UK.
    And we are one of the fastest growing HIV dating sites in the USA as well. But
    we also see the steady growth of members from South Africa. We know the needs
    of ALL our members. Love and friendship can be found everywhere.

13. Tashawnda Price on November 3, 2016 at 10:03 am

Where is this “information” coming from? It definitely seems racially slanted. White women probably have access to private care, where their herpes diagnosis aren’t reported.