Are Willow Smith’s lyrics too racy?

willow_smith

Willow Smith’s popular 2010 single,”Whip My Hair,” had tweens from coast to coasting bobbing their heads. The song had a catchy hook and was very kid (and adult) friendly. Well, Willow has cranked things up a notch, musically speaking. On Oct. 31,  the young star will be celebrating her 14th birthday, but the lyrics from her new single, “Female Energy (Freestyle),” are decidedly not for the prepubescent crowd. Willow is straddling the line between childhood and womanhood, and we know exposure to fame tends to cause youngsters to grow up too quickly, but Ms. Smith seems to be handling some grown woman-style issues here.

It is really out of my control
how you feel is not my problem
I really don’t want you to go
but I don’t know how to stop you

Whatever.
Whatever. I guess. Whatever.
I don’t care. Get dressed. Whatever.
I don’t feel like talking. Whatever.
Cuz it’s really out of my control.
How you feel is not my problem.
I really don’t want you to go, but I don’t want to stop ya.
Cuz you gon do what you gotta do.
And what I do is not your problem.
Just let me let me love you
Stop trying to make it complicated.

Let’s all try to remember that this is a 14-year-old, not a 24-year-old. What do you think? Sound off.

1. MISSYCAT( WAIT!!! LOOKAHEAH on October 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm

this is my perspective on her lyrics willow is growing up like they say orange is the new black 14 if the new 24, I guess so people are going to think what they going to think about willow, and what willow do realize that her life is like being looked at through microscope. and especially her being the child of Jada and Will Smith . even makes it more crazier and live in( Hollyweird )you gotta grow up fast , you got to be mature very fast about the way things happens in Hollyweird, I don’t know if anyone saw that documentary about Hollywood scandals, but Britney Spears had got a breast implants when she was just 15 years old, just to sell records and then for her to become American youngest sexest symbol ever, but I will hope that jada and Will is keeping tabs on their daughter which I know they are and teach her to stay grounded, and down to earth, then she’ll be alright, and those are my perspective on Willow Smith recording career.

• lrush on October 31, 2014 at 9:18 pm

While its understandable that she’s Hollywood, but 14 is still 14 and Hollywood is not to blame because she’s supposed to be raised by her parents. Hollywood is going to be Hollywood all day long. Britney Spears had to get permission for her implants because she was a minor and because minors cannot sign their own consent forms. Her parents allowed for that to take place because they didn’t wanna turn away any money. As bad as Hollywood is, its not the blame because everyone in Hollywood has their own free will.

2. lonnie keys on October 29, 2014 at 6:02 pm

YES YES YES .. .way over board for a child … these people dont give a fuc.k right? meaning jada and will . . they have learned nothing from child services visit , and nancy grace say sue child service …

bitche turn down for what!!!??

i swear nancy grace is one beast of a noisy white lady …with pms issues
    jada is a child simple as that who the hell is managing her ? jayz .. he already got moma rehinana acting like a thot MEANING REHIANNA .. .. willow looks like rehianna x 2000
    that is who they re trying to model her after . .she even had rehinana body .. one thing willow is not cute at all … she may mature to better looks later as she age …

but in order to market her they need to keep her age in mind .. she looks bumish to me, and maybe kids like that but ??? ummm its not good
    god bless her she is trying though ..

• MISSYCAT( WAIT!!!! LOOKAHEAH on October 29, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I feel you my hommie ,that that lip stick she ROCKING, AIN’T POPPIN. LOLLL And agree 1000% I got your back hommie .

• HEAVEN SU on December 29, 2014 at 6:32 am

What the fuck did that even say.

3. Dani on October 30, 2014 at 3:49 pm

firssst of all the whole begging is the pressure by jhene aiko sooooooooooooooooooo

4. Likewaterforchoc on October 30, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Uh uh. Did she say “get dressed”? Somebody call that father who reprimanded his 10-year old daughter for lying about her age on social media.

5. spam on October 30, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Growing up stage.

6. conscious on November 1, 2014 at 6:40 pm

She is FOURTEEN, that’s what, an eighth grader, high school freshman’s age? People, it’s not just her, you have teens her age doing much worse than singing about “grown woman issues.” Yes, she is young, but she is also very sophisticated, whether it be because of her fame or because it’s just in her nature, let her be.

7. MMJ on December 28, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Ok So What IS The Big Deal!
    She Sings What She Wants To Sing! I Personally Like This Song And I Like How She Puts It In A Way We Understand! Its Her Life And You’ll Are Judging It.
    Im 14 And I Understand What She’s Saying And If It Were Me I’d Make A Song Like This ! So Let Her Live Her Life !

• HEAVEN SU on December 29, 2014 at 6:34 am

There needs to be more intelligent people like you.

8. HEAVEN SU on December 29, 2014 at 6:31 am

You’re an idiot. She’s supposed to dumb herself down for you because you believe a 14 year old girl should be singing about Barbie dolls and lipgloss cellphones?

You’re obviously ingenious to the point you can’t see that lyrics are deeper than surface understanding. Stop trying to sexualize everything you disgusting scum of the earth.

Stop trying to fucking censor.