In the December issue of EBONY magazine, the publication focuses on the topic of race and releases the “State of Race in America” report. In the report, EBONY identifies statistics related to race in the areas of economic disparity, education, entrepreneurship, health and well-being, and protection under the law.
The findings from the study revealed the following:
1. The average net worth for Blacks is $6,446 compared to $91,405 for Whites
2. 62.3% of African-American homes were affected by predatory lending practices, versus 38.2% of White homes
3. The household income for African Americans in 2013 was $34,598 versus the household income for whites at $58,270
4. Of the $98.2 billion awarded in federal small business contracts in 2012, Black-owned firms received only 7.2 percent
5. From 2010-2012, Black males between the ages of 15 and 19 years old were 21 times as likely as their White peers to be killed by police
6. Under New York City’s Stop and Frisk practice, 14,549 (53 percent) Blacks were detained versus only 3,363 (12 percent) Whites.
These statistics provide a factual outlook of the racial climate that cannot be ignored. EBONY not only reports the statistics, but also offers solutions from experts such as Dr. Steve Perry, Dr. Henry Louis Gates Jr., Wes Moore and attorney Paula Penn-Nabrit. To supplement the feature, EBONY.com is featuring five videos on race relations interviews with thought-leaders including Dr. Ben Carson, Dr. Marc Lamont Hill, Melissa Harris Perry, Rev. Al Sharpton, Julian Bond, Dr. Cornel West, Marian Wright Edelman, Don Lemon, Julian Bond and many others.
To check out the videos, please visit EBONY.com here.