Nicki Minaj breaks down over Safaree breakup

Nicki Minaj - Break Down Cover

There’s been a change in Nicki Minaj over the past year. To a noticeable degree, gone is the punchline jokester laughing and giggling at the top of hip-hop’s throne. In her place sits a more three-dimensional woman fresh off a breakup with her boyfriend of more than a decade, Safaree Samuels, and enduring that heartbreak while deep in the middle of promoting her revealing new album, The Pinkprint. Understandably, it’s been hard for Minaj to maintain her happy-go-lucky demeanor, and in a recent interview she finally cracked under the strain and shed tears for her lost love.

Minaj’s emotional moment came courtesy of her recent Power 105 interview with Angie Martinez, in which Minaj explained just how important her relationship to Samuels was to her.

“My relationship was based off of love,” she said. “And there still is nothing but love there. This is not some person I picked up off the street. This is somebody I grew up with. Like I don’t even know how I’m gonna function without that person in my life. I’ve never lived my life as a famous person without him.”

Minaj went on, “I tell my girlfriends, my best friends, but sometimes I still wanna tell him stuff and get his opinion.”

At that point, Minaj went silent, sitting still as she tried to fight back tears, but to no avail as Martinez had to call a break to allow Minaj to cry off camera.

When the interview resumed, Minaj shed more tears as she revealed more about her broken relationship with Samuels. Read Minaj’s heartbreaking confessions after the cut.

Pages: 1 2 3

1. apples on December 18, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I love u Nikki I feel your pain!!!

2. butterbeanbabe on December 18, 2014 at 3:57 pm

i know how she feel cause money can not keep them nor can dignity . safarree is young he will one day realize he lost a good one . nicky put him on the mapp , its hard though cause people get to use to each other and the drama starts , being mature and getting pass all that comes in your 40s. . some of these celebrities marry for security , the women i mean , they want a man to have their back follow them around etc . its unhealthy to be under a person ever dam day.. and boring you have to create a life out side of your relationship and most of all you have to trust one another ultimately

• Paula on December 18, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Agreed 100%

• Public_Programming on December 18, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I knew she played herself when she gave Drake a lap dance in her video. What man with any dignity would stand for that.

• liam padayachee on December 19, 2014 at 6:54 am

agree with you how you expect your boyfriend to stay with you. but you busy putting your fat but on drakes lap.

3. Public_Programming on December 18, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Did she really think she could make a songs about screwing her label mates (“they’ll eat my a** like a cupcake”) and give them lap dances in her videos and think that wouldn’t effect her relationship? Tis the price you pay when u sell yourself all the way out for fame..

• butterbeanbabe on December 19, 2014 at 6:30 am

totally agreed with this , i think age and fame got a lot to do with why she couldnt hold him down . he was tired of being a spot man and butler realizing at his age he can do other things that shit shit only work for a minute , i hope kelly roland know to that your husband should not be your manager , cause the moment he start slaving you while he sitting up drinking with his friends while you in concert overseas that is when it will sit in .. .remember mary mary sistters did the same thing safaree did to his wife ., and mary j bliege can hardly hold on to kneu cause she trying to let him manage her , she stoop to saying he can swing with other women and i dont know how they survive

• liam padayachee on December 19, 2014 at 6:55 am

agreed 100000000%

4. butterbeanbabe on December 19, 2014 at 6:31 am

ATTENTION CELEBRITY FEMALES . YOU CAN NOT BE MANAGED BY YOUR MAN OR YOUR HUSBAND IT DONT WORK LIKE THAT , BEYONCE AND JAYZ WORK CAUSE THEY BOTH POWERHOUSES AND HIS COMPANY MANAGE THEM BOTH … SO GET THAT PLEASE

• Public_Programming on December 19, 2014 at 11:35 am

They’re marriage is hanging on by a thread as well.. Matter of time.. Her songs are totally different now. Listen to lyrics of “Took that ring off”.. subliminals

5. liam padayachee on December 19, 2014 at 6:45 am

money cannot take yur pain away

6. lrush on December 20, 2014 at 1:40 am

Child sit down somewhere with the delusions. This girl dresses like a thirsty chick on the prowl, leaves nothing to the imagination, and forever giving lap dances but blame it on the industry; no the industry is what she chose. Up until now, I thought her having a boyfriend was just a rumor, because there is no way I could believe that somebody would be in a serious relationship with someone who forever having “wardrobe malfunctions “. Just like Wayne said in Only, “she walking round actin like she need d!ck in her life”. You know its bad when a dude calls you as attention hungry. Now if Wayne can see that and he’s not with her, imagine what this play play boyfriend is thinking. So tell me again what mythical relationship is she hurt about?

7. Greg Williams on December 20, 2014 at 10:07 pm

My girlfriend and I broke up few weeks ago. she started acting strange, she was ignoring all of my

calls and won’t speak to me at all, i wanted us to be back together forever and work through things as

a lovely couples. I just could not picture my life without her. i felt so rejected when i discovered

that she was cheating on me. it made me go crazy because i took her as the only love of my life, my

best friend, my soul mate, after making some research i found ONIHA on the net that he can restore

broken relationship and i gave it a try, after using his love spell, my girlfriend came back to me

asking for forgiveness and since then I definitely believe [email protected] is real, I must

admit, the result was perfect, wonderful, this caster ONIHA is real and trust worthy.