Mo’Nique presents evidence Lee Daniels offered her ‘Empire’ role

Photo Credit: Sway In The Morning YouTube Screenshot

For months now, Mo’Nique has been in a high-profile feud with TV and film producer Lee Daniels after he claimed that she had been blackballed in Hollywood for having a bad attitude. The feud worsened when Daniels and his business partner, Danny Strong, denied Mo’Nique’s claims that she was offered the pivotal role of Cookie Lyon in “Empire.” Now, Mo’Nique has spoken out again and this time she’s provided evidence that she was offered the role in “Empire”

During a recent interview on “Sway in the Morning,” Mo’Nique explained why it was so important to try and clear her name after being bashed by Daniels and Strong.

“You know when I heard Danny Strong had come on the show and was adamant about ‘Mo’Nique was never offered that role’ and he’d gone on other places and said it, and I tweeted that brother and said, ‘Will you speak as loudly when you understand that you’re telling something that’s not correct?’ ” Mo’Nique said.

“When he began to say things that just weren’t true, that’s when I had to say ‘Brother, I can’t allow you to do that.’ Because when you start putting my character on the line — and I take pride in my career, I take pride in my integrity, I take pride in my character — but when you put it on the line like that and people begin to question me about my character — and these aren’t strangers, these are folks that know me. We done been in conversations, we done broke bread together. So, I wanted to bring the emails to you. And you can read them publicly or privately. I just wanted to put it out there. Hey guys, clear my name. That’s it,” Mo’Nique added.

Afterward, Mo’Nique presented emails from a rep from Daniels’ office. Read the emails after the cut.

Pages: 1 2

1. Missgee62 on April 23, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Monique and Roll Out writers get it together now…LEE DIDNT OFFER HER THE ROLE…he offered her the opportunity to vie for the role by doing a screen test. A BIG DIFFERENCE!

• msyoung on April 23, 2015 at 1:48 pm

You are right the headline is misleading. If the only evidence she has is the emails, then legally it wasn’t an offer. Monique was only one of those being considered for that role.

• britishrose on April 24, 2015 at 1:11 pm

no they offered the role to her cause they said , they at the last minute decided on taraji , after already setting the role up for monique some one told her to come to practice classes .. and then recanted ….. if it was between her and taraji and daniel chose monique that should have been the last word so he let his staff talk him out of his decision? and i bet oprah told him to give that role to monique.. .. . taraji is not the better actress lisa raye would have smashed it out the park . so would lil kim . .and naomi cambell too

• Crackin' Factin' on April 25, 2015 at 9:54 pm

WTF did you read??? You either have a vivid imagination or a crystal ball. NONE of what you just wrote is in those emails. As a Matter of fact, from reading your subsequent comments, it’s evident you are delusional and have a peculiar view of the world. I will admit, as ignorant as some of your commentary is, it’s also some serendipitously hilarious–in a blissfully ignorant way. Anyway, stick to real facts and spare us delusional conjecture and self-created fantasy. Good luck though.

• britishrose on April 24, 2015 at 1:22 pm

if its between friends it dont have to be legally nothing , his word was bond , contracts aint necessary right off until lawyers discuss money and rights , but this is standard procedure to offer roll by email , that was their mistake ., monique got her hopes up for nothing …

• Dasiy Dee on April 25, 2015 at 10:00 pm

They didn’t offer a role…just a screen test like they probably did for several other actresses. Monique didn’t get it, she needs to MOVE ON!! She’s out here look assed out. Not a good look Monique.

2. britishrose on April 24, 2015 at 1:09 pm

AWWWW SNAPP CRACKA POP !!! SHE WAS RIGHT ? that dude daniel lose all credibitlity here , i was doubting monique for a min, wow and she would have made a good cookie i think trust me she would have bought the heat .. expecially a full figured chick dressed to kill ,man that would have been on point . taraji is just ok to me , i dont know why people see her as made for the role . she too ghetto to me lack class and aint no kind of role model .. but thats the fun of the role i quest . . monique is prettier than her for sure .shes funny looking eyes look high or sickly to me .. im sorry shes not interesting to me ……
    but daniel owe monique an appology she is angry and should be they literally offered her the role and it was daniels call and he drop the ball on her good monique you showed them not to mess with a sister old sweet tea daniels lmaao

• Dasiy Dee on April 25, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Damn, you be trippin!!! Big time!!!

• Crazy Dane on April 25, 2015 at 10:04 pm

@Britishrose, you must be a big lane Bryant looking b*cth…LOL

3. britishrose on April 24, 2015 at 1:19 pm

TOP CHOICES FOR THE COOKIE ROLE IS … DRUM ROLE
    1. LISA RAYE
    2. NAOMI CAMBELL
    3. MONIQUE
    4. KENYA MOORE
    5. TRINA
    6.taraji number 6 maybe
    7. robin givens
    they tried to get the cheapest person they could get instead of the person most likely to make it a smash , taraji is just ok to me .. they could have done better with robin givens . ..