Black Lives Matter reacts to not guilty verdict in Freddie Gray death

Edward Nero and Freddie Gray ({Photo Credit: Baltimore Police Mugshot/ Inset=Freddie Gray Facebook)

Edward Nero and Freddie Gray ({Photo Credit: Baltimore Police Mugshot/ Inset: Freddie Gray Facebook)

The statement of Vernon Jones some 60 years ago that it’s “Safe to kill Negroes” still rings true, especially if you carry a badge.

The trial of Baltimore Officer Edward Nero in the death of Freddie Gray has ended with a verdict of not guilty.

Nero chose not to have a trial by jury and instead opted for a trial by judge, causing outrage in Baltimore. Nero is one of six officers charged and the second officer to be tried on charges of second-degree intentional assault, two counts of misconduct in office and reckless endangerment.

Already protesters have taken to the streets and the city of Baltimore is on edge once again over police abuse in the city. Gray was killed on April 19, 2015. Gray died of spinal injuries after police assaulted him and did not secure him with a seatbelt during a deliberately rough ride in a prison van through the streets of Baltimore. Prosecutors maintained that Nero and other officers ignored an order that officers must secure suspects during transport in a police van.

“Whatever may be Judge Barry Williams’ decision with respect to Officer Nero’s role in the death of Mr. Freddie Gray, that verdict will have as much legitimacy as our society and our justice system can provide.  I join the mothers, the fathers, the children … of Baltimore asking not only for peace but respect for the rule of law,” said Maryland Congressman Elijah Cummings.

Four officers have yet to stand trial — Miller, Lt. Brian Rice, Sgt. Alicia White and Officer Caesar Goodson Jr. The trial for Goodson, the van driver, will start June 6.  The case against William Porter, the first officer to go on trial, ended in a mistrial in December after jurors couldn’t agree on a verdict.

here have been calls for a peace by Maryland Congressman Elijah Cummings as well as Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake. Mayor Rawlings-Blake is quoted as saying:

“This is our American system of justice and police officers must be afforded the same justice system as every other citizen in the city, state, and country Now that the criminal case has come to an end, Officer Nero will face an administrative review by the Police Department. We once again ask the citizens to be patient and to allow the entire process to come to a conclusion, In the case of any disturbance in the city, we are prepared to respond.”

But this is not setting well with many. The well known Baltimore activist Rev. Westley West stated to media “Baltimore should be upset. They should also let their voice be heard. Take to the streets. How much longer are we gonna lay down and let the same thing to keep happening?”

On Twitter #FreddieGray is growing with comments from many including the Baltimore Fraternal Order of Police who tweeted the following statement:

Photo Source: Twitter/Baltimore City FOP

Photo Source: Twitter/Baltimore City FOP

That caused a reaction from news correspondent Roland Martin who tweeted the following:

Photo Source: Twitter/rolandmartin

Photo Source: Twitter/rolandmartin

Journalist Shaun King also expressed the thoughts of many in the Black community when he tweeted the following:

Photo Source: Twitter/Shaun King

Photo Source: Twitter/Shaun King

Pages: 1 2

1. Birdfish on May 23, 2016 at 1:59 pm

THE PEOPLE ARE ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE PEOPLE DO WEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE PEOPLE DO MARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE PEOPLE DO CHANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS A MISCARRAGE OF JUSTICE AND WE THE PEOPLE DO DEMAND FEDERAL HATE CRIMES BE CHARGED AT ONCE AND THIS MONSTER LOCKED IN A CAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE PEOPLE DO NOT LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: I HAVE A DREADFUL CYBER STALKER THAT SOMEHOW POSTS WITH MY SAME NAME. I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE DIALYSIS AND HE WILL CERTAINLY MOCK ME AND MY WEIGHT AND MY POVERTY AND EVEN MY TOLIET.

IGNORE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Natalie741 on May 24, 2016 at 7:32 am

like David answered I am surprised that a single mom can get paid $5285 in 4 weeks on the computer . look here https://www.facebook.com/Online-job-opportunity-for-US-UK-Australia-Canada-and-New-Zealand-627027550788002/app/190322544333196/

dfdsfsdf

• Birdfish on May 26, 2016 at 2:03 pm

OK SO MAYBE I WAS WRONG AND I MUST RETRACT MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT

THIS OFFICER IS INNOCENT AND FREDDIE GRAY KILLED HIMSELF BY TRAYING TO FAKE POLICE BRUTALITY

THE PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY HAPPY A DRUG DEALER IS OFF THE STREETS

EXCEPT FOR BLACKY WHO WILL NOT HAVE TO FIND A NEW DRUG DEALER

I AM A SORT OF WELFARE JUNKIE

• Birdfish on May 26, 2016 at 5:43 pm

NO I DO NOT RETRACT ANYTHING.
        I WAS IN DOUBLE DIALYSIS ALL DAY AGAIN.
        I GET MORE DIALYSIS THAN ANYONE THEY HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        DOCTOR TOLD ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE EVEN SAID HE WAS GOING TO WRITE A SCIENCE PAPER ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        YES, A SCIENCE PAPER ABOUT ME BECAUSE I AM SO SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE THE PEOPLE ARE VERY SAD AND ANGRY THAT THIS INJUSTICE OCCURRED

OF COURSE THE COP IS 1000% GUILTY.

• Birdfish on May 26, 2016 at 6:01 pm

I WILL NOT RETRACT MY WELFARE STEALING
          I STOLE DOUBLE WELFARE TODAY
          I STEAL MORE WELFARE THAN ANYONE HAS EVER SEEN!!!!!
          MY WITCH DOCTOR TOLD ME!!!!!
          HE EVEN SAID OOGA BOOGA OOGA BOOGA AND SHOOK HIS CHICKEN BONES!!!!
          YES, HIS CHICKEN BONES!!!!!!!!!!!!
          WE THE PEOPLE ARE VERY HAPPY THAT THE DRUG DEALER IS DEAD AND THE BRAVE OFFICER IS FREE OF CHARGES!!!!!
          OF COURSE BLACKY WAS 1000% GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Birdfish on May 26, 2016 at 8:15 pm

I DID NOT GET DOUBLE WELFARE IT WAS DOUBLE DIALYSIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I DIDNT EVEN GET A PIZZA I AM OUT OF CASH MONEY.

I ALMOST STARVED.

AND THAT COP SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH HATE CRIMES AT ONCE.

• Birdfish on May 26, 2016 at 8:25 pm

MAYBE IF I WASN’T SUCH A WELFARE BEGGAR I COULD BUY MY OWN FOOD

BUT I MUST BEG THE WHITE MAN TO FEED ME

• Birdfish on May 27, 2016 at 7:16 am

LINK ONLY IS $200 AND SSI NOT THAT MUCH MORE!!!!!!

I RAN OUT OF FOOD

THANK OUR BLACK LORD AND SAVIOR FOR THE FOOD BANK. THEY BRING EXTRA STUFF FOR POOR HUNGRY FOLKS.

YOU NEVER DO KNOW WHAT YOU WILL GET.

AND EVEN THE LITTLE MEALS FROM MEALS ON WHEELS HELP.

• Birdfish on May 27, 2016 at 7:40 am

THANKS FOR WELFARE BECAUSE I MIGHT HAVE HAD TO GET A JOB IN THE LAST 50 YEARS

YO HO HO IT’S A WELFARE LIFE FOR ME

2. Jason on May 24, 2016 at 12:13 am

If you understand White Supremacy – you are not surprised by this verdict. All Black people are victims in the system of white supremacy. White Supremacy = Evil = The World Blacks live in.