‘Ghostbusters’ star Leslie Jones returns to Twitter

CinemaCon 2016: Sony Pictures Presentation of 2016 Films held at Caesars in Las Vegas, NV. Pictured: Leslie Jones Ref: SPL1265608 160416 Picture by: Digital Focus / Splash News Splash News and Pictures Los Angeles:310-821-2666 New York: 212-619-2666 London: 870-934-2666 photodesk@splashnews.com
Photo credit: Digital Focus / Splash New
Leslie Jones is back on Twitter, days after quitting the site after being on the receiving end of vile racist abuse.

The ‘Ghostbusters’ actress quit the social media site on Monday, July 18 after being bombarded with racist abuse, but has admitted she can’t stay away and will now be posting again.

She tweeted: “Welp…a b—- thought she could stay away. But who else is gonna live tweet Game of Thrones!!”

After being inundated with kind messages welcoming her back to the microblogging site, Leslie thanked her fans for their support and urged them to tune in to see her on “Late Night with Seth Meyers.”

Earlier in the week, Jones felt she was in a “personal hell” over the messages she had received.

The 48-year-old actress retweeted some of the messages, which included calling her an “ape,” a “big lipped coon” and “the source of AIDS.”

In a series of posts, she then wrote: “I feel like I’m in a personal hell. I didn’t do anything to deserve this. It’s just too much. It shouldn’t be like this. So hurt right now.

“I use[d] to wonder why some celebs don’t have Twitter accts now I know. You can’t be nice and communicate with fans ’cause people crazy,” she wrote

Jones also asked Twitter to do something about the racist trolls as she refused to ignore them, as many people had told her to.

She wrote: “Twitter I understand you got free speech I get it. But there has to be some guidelines when you let spread like that. You can see on the. … Profiles that some of these people are crazy sick. It’s not enough to freeze Acct. They should be reported.”

Eventually she signed off: “I leave Twitter tonight with tears and a very sad heart. All this ’cause I did a movie.”

One troll, Milo Yiannopoulos — who is well-known for attacking people online — was banned from the site.

And after having his account, which uses the handle @nero, suspended several times he has now been shut down for good.

Twitter said in a statement: “People should be able to express diverse opinions and beliefs on Twitter. But no one deserves to be subjected to targeted abuse online, and our rules prohibit inciting or engaging in the targeted abuse or harassment of others. Over the past 48 hours in particular, we’ve seen an uptick in the number of accounts violating these policies and have taken enforcement actions against these accounts, ranging from warnings that also require the deletion of Tweets violating our policies to permanent suspension.”

Milo has previously described himself “the most fabulous supervillain on the internet.”

Rolling Out
Rolling Out

I aim a razor sharp, panoramic lens on popular culture and dissect it for our network of curious, aspirational, savvy and eccentric enthusiasts. I have the strength of an eagle and soul of a phoenix. #IAmRollingOut.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required