Older brother shoots toddler while mom slept

The Green brothers (Photo Credit: Facebook/CJ Martin)

The Green brothers (Photo credit: Facebook/CJ Martin)

A brother in Kansas City, Missouri, is without his toddler sibling today because he shot him with a gun that he thought was a toy. Police say that  the two brothers, ages 5 and 3, woke up early and they were hungry. The older brother tried to tell his mother but she was asleep in bed with her boyfriend, so the boys went downstairs to the kitchen. The older brother was looking for a box of cereal on top of the refrigerator when he found a gun belonging to his mother’s boyfriend.

The child thought it was a toy and began playing with his 3-year-old brother, identified as Jermone Green. At some point, the older brother accidentally shot his young sibling. Paramedics responding to the scene could not revive the child and he was pronounced dead. The tragedy is compounded by the fragile nature of the family structure in the household. The father of the two boys, Jermaine E. Green, is serving a 50-year sentence for robbery and assault. In addition, their grandfather recently was released from prison and never got a chance to see his grandsons. The grandfather, CJ Martin, recently shared his profound grief in a Facebook post: “As you know my family was stricken by the worst tragedy imaginable. My 3-year-old grandson was shot and killed in Kansas city this morning. This hurts me deeply since because of my recent incarceration I was never able to see my grandbaby. But this is not about me. My son Jermaine Green who is the child’s father is in a Missouri prison serving a 40-year sentence. He is who I am most concerned about. I just had to break this news to my son on the phone, but He had already seen it on the news which makes it even worse. I know firsthand how this will affect him. I lost both my parents while incarcerated and I sat helplessly behind Texas prison walls while Jermaine himself had been shot 4 times. The emotional turmoil that these things will have on him CANNOT be described in words. I ask not for sympathy, but for your prayers to be given for my dear son. Prayers for a toddler who will one day have to deal with the fact that his brother was killed by his own hand.”

The family has started a GoFundMe account to help with funeral costs for Jermone Green. The boy’s grandfather stated the children were left unattended and had harsh words for the boyfriend. He posted to Facebook, “Damn, my poor grand baby didn’t even get a chance at life! I’m so mad right now I just don’t know what to do! Get rid of them damn guns! This makes no sense at all. Because some coward wanted to act hard a carry a gun everywhere he went. You wanna be hard? Take care of your damn kids, be a real good husband to your wife, take care of your family! That’s what real men do! You are a f—ing coward if you have to tote a gun every place you go. That says you’re scared, not tough! You have brought all of this pain and suffering to my family for no reason. You better get down on your knees and Thank God in heaven for two things, one, that I’m in Texas and not in Kansas city!”

Police are trying to determine whether the boyfriend’s gun was legally obtained and have no further comments during this initial phase of an investigation. Kansas City prosecutors are reviewing the circumstances of the incident to determine if any charges are to be filed against the mother and her boyfriend.

1. WELOVEUSELENA on November 1, 2016 at 2:25 pm

SAD….THE OLDER BROTHER IS GOING TO NEED A LOT OF COUNSELING & I’M SURE HE IS BEYOND DEVASTATED KNOWING THAT HIS LIL BROTHER IS NEVER COMING BACK TO LIFE & THIS IS A SAD SITUATION….MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO THIS FAMILY!!!!

2. FuZ on November 1, 2016 at 4:45 pm

RIP Jerome. I hope that the older brother gets serious counseling.
    I’m not against the boyfriend and the mother being charged. It won’t bring him back, but you can’t be so careless with kids around. AND you also just can’t have anyone around your kids. Senseless. Terrible.

3. Chuck on November 1, 2016 at 4:46 pm

This grandfather needs to stfu! He should have taught his son how to be a father, as well as should have been a father to his own son. If the kid’s father wasn’t locked up, he would have been home to see about his son. This grandfather has threaten the guy and should go back to jail. I pray for the kid because he’s going to need a lot of help.

4. Dunit on November 1, 2016 at 5:16 pm

This happens too often. Kids playing with guns.

5. britishrose on November 1, 2016 at 8:57 pm

yeah black lives matter right , im seeing a pattern of females having kids and trying to date thugs? u cant bring a thug round kids , bad influence and look at the result, she need to have that other boy removed from her home ,i bet she sprung outta bed immediatly feeling the pain, and i bet you that gun is not legal!! guns are not the issue adults are , he may have felt he was putting it up high , and kids are busy when parents are not around, this is such a tragedy unspeakable !!!

it a accident waiting to happen when a gun is not locked .what if someone was after him? they all would be dead ,, we have to let god we know help us,, cause this could happen in any home

6. britishrose on November 1, 2016 at 9:10 pm

i use to live in kansas city, its a deadly place if your not carrying a gun ur a target of robbery and murder , lots of kids and young men end up dead or in prison kansas got more prisons than any state jobs are scarce and black on black crime is reality, i moved since i was only transferred there , i use to see black men incarcerated for less than an ounce of dope, i heard of a few boys slaughtering a boy for his tennis shoes , and one kid was charged. the others let free.. there are bitter blacks there whom are angry and forced to live inner city .. hardly any can live in overland park ks or in the suburbs .. the streets are hard and deadly.. young boy drop out school and sell drugs at 20 their in the pen for murder, lots of gangs there too, kansas city is a tourist city but people would not visit the PLAZA MALL famous spot similar to rodeo dr. if they knew killings were going on 1 mile away nightly .. and they find a lot of bodie in swope park a big park in heart of the hoods DONT GO THERE .
    the man who gun killed that baby betta pack immediatly cause he will die if he stays there that grand daddy just got out the pen .. and the daddy of kid will put a hit out from prison he will not live if he stay