Chicago 911 call released from Jussie Smollett incident

Jussie Smollett (Photo credit: Splash News)

A 911 call made on the night of Jussie Smollett’s alleged attack has been released.

In a newly released emergency call, his friend claimed his alleged attackers “put a noose around his neck.”

The “Empire” star’s pal, said to be the actor’s manager, is reported to have made two calls to emergency services to report the alleged attack, in which he doesn’t reveal the star’s name and says the actor “didn’t want me to call you guys.”

In one of the calls obtained by The New York Post under a Freedom of Information Act request, he said: “I work with an artist — I don’t really want to say his name — but he states that he went to Subway, [and] he was walking by and some guys, somebody jumped him or something like that, and I just want to report it and make sure that he’s alright.”

Asked why the actor didn’t call himself, he replied: “He was cool, he didn’t want me to call you guys.

“He’s definitely gonna make the report. I’m gonna make him make the report.

“I just think he’s startled. I’m scared, and I don’t know what it is — they put a noose around his neck.

“They didn’t do anything with it but put it around his neck. That’s pretty f—ed up to me — sorry for saying it like that.”

Afterward, he called back to find out where the police were.

“I reported I’ve been waiting on the police. I thought they’d be here by now,” he said.

Smollett claimed he was jumped by two men during the alleged attack in Chicago in January, but two brothers then alleged he had paid them to stage an attack.

Smollett was said to have been working on a plea deal over allegations he staged the hate attack. He was told in March he wouldn’t be charged with orchestrating a racist and homophobic attack on himself.

According to a 460-page document released last week — which detailed the timeline of how detectives handled Smollett’s case — prosecutors told Chicago police detectives, just days after his arrest that he would receive a $10,000 fine and an undetermined amount of time in community service.

However, the documents show there was no mention of dropping the charges against the actor, and detectives only discovered they “could no longer investigate the crime” when he was indicted on disorderly conduct charges on February 28, a month after his initial claims were made.



Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required

Join Our Newsletter

Get the latest news from Rolling Out.