The characteristics most often assigned to controversial rapper Kanye West — other than “genius” and “jerk” — is “misunderstood.”
Well, after his makeup session and interview on “Jimmy Kimmel Live” on Tuesday, Oct. 9, some people … are still confused.
Others, however, either were able to understand Kim Kardashian’s boyfriend and daddy of Nori West, while some said their appreciation and admiration of the hip-hop heavyweight were enhanced. In a sometimes stream-of-consciousness rant or delivery — depending on your perspective — West talked passionately about discrimination based on class, protecting his music publishing from covetous drug dealers, false humility and his experience with high fashion. He also raged, with selfish interest, against the Hollywood Walk of Fame organization for denying his girlfriend, Kim Kardashian, a star and reflected on his recent negative interactions with paparazzi.
Up front, West emphasized that all of his public actions are authentic and that his expression of righteous indignation against Kimmel’s parody of his BBC interview was not manufactured to generate publicity.
“I’ve never done a publicity stunt in my life,” he said to Kimmel.
Here are some of the most interesting Kanye West quotes from appearance on “Jimmy Kimmel Live.”
- “I’m not running for office. I’m just here to make good music and make people feel good when they hear my music.”
- When I did that interview (on BBC), I was really vocal about a lot of things I had been dealing with over the last ten years, when I had put in the classification as just a celebrity.”
- “I’m a creative genius, and there’s no other way to word it. I know you’re not supposed to say that about yourself. I say things the wrong way a lot of times, but the intention is always positive.”
- “I’m totally weird and totally honest and I’m totally inappropriate sometimes, and the thing is for me not to say I’m not a genius I’d be lying to you and to myself.”
- “That elevates sometimes. Jimmy does his thing, I do my thing, and at some point egos can flare up, and we kind of took it back to high school.”
- “The way the paparazzi talk to me and my family is disrespectful also, you know what I’m saying? We bring something of joy to the world. When people hear my music they have a good time, and I should be respected as such when I walk down the street. Don’t ask me a question about something you saw on the tabloids. Don’t try to antagonize me, because it’s not safe for you in this zoo, you know? Never think that I’m not from Chicago for one second.”
- “Media does everything they can to break artists, break creatives, break peoples’ spirits, and I do everything I can to break media.”
- I could care less about any of these cameras, in all honesty. All I care about is my family, I care about protecting my girl, protecting my baby and protecting my ideas and my dreams. And that’s the reason why I went so crazy.
- You’re gonna love me, you’re gonna hate me, but I’m gonna be me.
- No matter how many people tell me “stop believing in yourself, stop saying what you can do, stop affirming what you can do and then completing that in real life. That’s the improper way to do it.” I refuse to follow those rules, and the way that society is set up and the way that they control people with low self-esteem. With improper information, with branding, with marketing; I refuse to follow those rules.
- I wouldn’t even say that I’m a rapper. I’d say that I’m more of a messenger than a rapper. So even when you say ‘rap beef’ it sort of undermines it.