Many of us already know the benefits of drinking plenty of water and proper hydration. Lemon and lime add refreshing zest to almost any drink, and also cleanse and enhance the immune properties of your already healthy glass of juice. Lemon and lime juice are very alkalizing to the body. Since the majority of the population is acidic (due to diet and stress), drinking lemon or lime water is one step to bringing about a more alkaline pH. Why should you care about being alkaline? Because many forms of disease thrive in an acidic body!
The nutritional benefits of limes do not differ very much from those of lemons. They are both excellent sources of vitamin C, B6, potassium, folic acid, flavonoids and the outstanding phytochemical, limonene. Limonene have anti-cancer effects and help increase the level of enzymes that detoxify carcinogens.
The benefits to adding lemons (or limes) to your water include:
- Clearer skin – Vitamin C rejuvenates the skin from within your body.
- Increased energy and enhanced mood – The scent of lemon has mood enhancing and energizing properties. The smell can brighten your mood and help clear your mind. Lemon can also help reduce anxiety and depression.
- Promotion of healing – Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) promotes wound healing and is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissue and cartilage.
- Fresher breath – Besides fresher breath, lemons have been known to help relieve tooth pain and gingivitis.
- Boosts your immune system – High in vitamin C, lemons are great for fighting colds.
- Aids digestion – The digestive qualities of lemon juice help to relieve symptoms of indigestion, such as heartburn, belching and bloating.
- Cleanses your system – Lemons increase the rate of urination in the body. Toxins are then released at a faster rate which helps keep your urinary tract healthy.
- Aids in weight loss – Lemons are high in pectin fiber which helps fight hunger cravings.
Tip: Juice a glass of lime or lemon juice and make ice cubes out of it. When you have a drink, pop a few lime/lemon cubes into your drink for a refreshing taste while enjoying its immense health benefits.
Tracy Springs is a fitness instructor at LA Fitness. Feel free to contact her at [email protected] with any questions or to set up a fitness appointment at the LA Fitness Waukegan facility