‘Empire’ creator reacts to Mo’Nique saying she was offered a role in show

FOX 11/YouTube

For weeks now, Mo’Nique has been in the papers discussing her alleged blackballing in Hollywood over the movie Precious and her growing feud with director and producer Lee Daniels. This week alone, she claimed that Daniels lied about Hollywood thinking she’s “difficult” and also claimed that he offered her roles in “Empire” and The Butler. Now, one of the creators of “Empire” is speaking out and saying that Mo’Nique is lying about having been offered a role on the show.

As previously reported, Mo’Niqe recently claimed that she was offered the part of Cookie Lyon in “Empire,” a role which was eventually given to actress Taraji P. Henson.

“When he called me up, he offered me the role in ‘Empire’ as Cookie,” Mo’Nique shared about the offer she allegedly received from Daniels. “Maybe four days had gone by, and I hadn’t heard anything. So I’m trying to reach out to him to say, what time do I need to be in? Where do I need to be? When he finally returned the call, he says listen, the executives at Fox said that you’re difficult.”

However, Danny Strong, the co-creator of “Empire” and The Butler recently spoke with Sway Calloway and explained that he had no knowledge that Mo’Nique was ever offered parts in his projects.

“Well, I don’t know if Lee Daniels had a conversation, with Mo’Nique about it that I don’t know about. I know that Lee and I were partners on this project and we discussed Mo’Nique once, very briefly. And from my knowledge, unless there was some conversation that I never knew about, we never offered her the part. And it was — she wasn’t going to be Cookie. That was never something that was on the table. For us. We both felt she was incredibly talented and a genius. I’m not saying that she’s not telling the truth. … As far as the conversations that I had, with Lee about it. It was always Taraji. That was just one of our earliest ideas,” Strong explained.

But that’s not all that Strong had to say about Mo’Nique. Read what he had to say about her alleged offer to be in The Butler, as well as what Mo’Nique’s Precious co-star, Gabourey Sidibe, had to say about the scandal.

Pages: 1 2 3

1. Sojourner's Truth on March 4, 2015 at 11:23 am

I know it is all about the money however, could you work this out. Lee Daniels man up. In the series Empire all the black men are terribly broken. People with dark skin are portrayed with lack of intelligence. Come on. Your self hatred is showing.
    Oh by the way stop disrespecting Black Women.

• panafruka on March 4, 2015 at 2:14 pm

I agree….theirs always going to be some toms around to sell you out for some pocket change

• honeybutter on March 4, 2015 at 5:46 pm

i agree totally like i said i notice he and tyler perry want you to think they create these charactors to give blacks jobs but if you can use us in a negative way and get great ratings then you got your wish and your money? right? he is seeming more and more disliked WAS IT MONIQUE FAULT WHEN THE WHITE FOLKS DISSED HIM FOR ANY AWARDS FOR THE BUTLER …. HE THOUGHT CASTING OPRAH WOULD DO IT .. HAAAA OPRAH CANT ACT WORTH A DAM …. BYE MAN

2. derel on March 4, 2015 at 12:49 pm

So what do you want. This program is SELLING. People are WATCHING. Just don’t watch the show Truth.

• Loren Anderson on March 4, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Maybe Monique is airing some truth!? Unless you’ve been in the industry you have NO idea how low cutthroat and hurtful they really are and can be.

• honeybutter on March 4, 2015 at 5:54 pm

i do think she is telling the truth and they may pay her to hush up , or some fans gonna jump ship , it was not what we expected anyway , horrible rap tunes , fat black chicks in white wigs, mean evil black females as a main character , ,how many black men want to have cookie except for sex and out … she was a convict is daniels saying a black woman must be criminal first then she can be a successs .. that really shits on all the educated smart non inprison sistas with jobs and businessess and aint gotta be running behind no tired weak lucious character to be successful … . lucious dont wnat cookie for the typical reasons black men dont honor black women ,she aint as light skin and small as inika > ? just look at the portrayal of the black characters , , its ok to let us see how gays are not accepted but that want change ,, no one wants no gay son . … ..
        daniel is sending his own messge and the gay lesbian comunity is eating it up .. .

• Kris on March 6, 2015 at 6:21 am

HoneyB, I totally co-sign. I don’t know what’s worse, Lee D. or Tyler P. Self-hatred and hatred of women for sure. So glad we still have folks that can see through it, ans speak the truth. For a while I thought all the Truthspeakers were gone.

• BevyBev on March 5, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Monique is trippin’, it’s called sour grapes. Why do you give her credence to the truth? Because you like her…but don’t really know her. Her old co-host on her show, said himself, she was a b**** to deal with. She has more reason to lie than anyone involved in this fiasco. And frankly, she’s not doing herself any favors by crying about it.

Now regarding ‘Empire’, it trips me out that black people want to restrict our black artist to a specific portrayal of us as black folk, never showing the ugly but real side of being diverse people. Not every portrayal has to be Martin Luther Kingesque, damn some of us are broken, real and unperfect. Get over it…or write something yourself…besides hate on a damn blog. #dropsmikecauseImreal.

• Loren Anderson on March 5, 2015 at 7:03 pm

I really don’t give 2 fucks about Empire Monique or Hollywood. I stated my opinion on the industry being what it is…#truthbetold

• Sojourner's Truth on March 4, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I do have a right to my opinion. I watched the first show and I did not watch any more.

• honeybutter on March 4, 2015 at 5:49 pm

YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY IM DONE WITH IT ,, THE SCENES SUCK ANYWAY .. and who wants to watch too black men kissing on tv… our children? and how come he had to degrade gabby sidabye making her wear a white wig to loook like a big black joke ?????? and why taraji gotta be what whites called black women for years mean, and angry and a jail bomb./? WHY ALL the black men gay or whorish or sickly:? this situation case light on empire quality for black tv . .. so yeah i want be watching i rather watch RHOA . .ITS FAKE BUT WE DONT FEEL AS DEGRADED BY IT

3. honeybutter on March 4, 2015 at 5:44 pm

THE ROLE PRECIOUS PLAY IN EMPIRE , should have been give monique she would have beeen a way better choice , i almost turned off the tv when i saw precious in that white wig , so daniels is making a laughting stock of fat black women , like tyler perry ANYONE NOTICE GAY MEN ALWAYS MAKE FUN OF BLACK WOMEN ? WHEN THEY GET UP IN THE MONEY ???? daniels is gonna loose fans if he dont stop messing with monique a lot of women are saying that he is a kiss but , gay man with all kinds of hangup . .. he hisself was blacklisted for years for being gay .. now he got a opportuity with networks and he want to shi.t on talented black women almost anyone could have played cookie , ,vivica fox would have been better than taraji all day long …. and angela bassett , too , gabriellee union even . .so that dont make since . monique would have nailed it .. but again lee daniel is so busy lieing about offering that rolll .. of course he gonnaback peddle out of what was said ,and then blame monique for being difficult to work with . . .. WHO IS ANY MORE DIFFICULT THAN TERRANCE HOWELL MEAN ASS?? WITH HIS PSCHOTIC PERSONALITY. .. but he got the job .. folks dont care how stupid you are behind close doors , , we want the right actors for roles ….. taraji was not the best choice by no means

4. honeybutter on March 4, 2015 at 5:59 pm

i have a christian friend who watch 2 shows , i was excited about it and we talk about housewives all the tiime so some weeks passed and she said nothing bout empire and i would say girrrrl did you see EMPIRED LAST NIGHT .. and she said im christian and i refuse to watch such a show .. now given she watch rhoa ithought that was strange . .but if yall rembember bravo took off mostly all those gay characters when they realized how man black christian women watched ,, and they were looseing fans by the loads , lol …. then they changed up characters and exed out the gays accept one maybe …lol ..
    so empire gonna have to do the same dam thing to survive , daniels think this is gonna be long running not when more and more christains start dropping instead of watching a man kiss another man .. lol .. im not gay phobic but i crenge on that scene and now with monique claim im just about done with it .. to much racial inequity, and to much ass kissin to keep white viewer and the fact a white girl is put there as a lesson to not marry black huh . ..AX AX AX … WHITES WILL BOW OUT SOON TOO

5. honeybutter on March 4, 2015 at 6:02 pm

IN OTHER WORDS WITH BLACK FOLKS HAVEING STRICT PHOBIAS ABOUT GAYS STILL , AND ARE THE LAST ONES TO ACCEPT A GAY IN THEIR FAMILY .. WE ARE NOT READY TO .. be at work talking about to gay men who are having a issue at home like infideltity etc. gross .. i dont think sooo hommmie

• Loren Anderson on March 4, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Yes I heard the ratings are up there, but I haven’t wasted my time watching 1 episode. Just not interested in watching black people degrading shows. But from an industry point of view I know how low they can hit. That’s why they sat behind guarded fences and security buildings cause of their fear of payback day from all the hurt they’ve done.

6. Pearl on March 5, 2015 at 7:55 am

Black people are their worse enemy. We’re so hateful and then we hind behind God. Everyone sin, every family have a gay/lesbian. I really don’t give a damn about these Hollywood people. Monique isn’t broke haven’t offer any of us a damn dime. We still have to pay to see her she don’t have free shows. You guys get caught up on a fictional show. WOW!!!’

• Loren Anderson on March 5, 2015 at 10:55 am

I’m not caught up in to any shows cause they don’t pay my bills. Actually it’s vice versa, when you watch they get paid. However, Monique is just airing some of the lowdowns of the industry. Everybody has opinions but some people actually know it cause they live it, it’s called experience …next! #idontgivearatsassaboutempireoranydamnshow #truthbtold

7. Kris on March 6, 2015 at 6:15 am

Sojourner Truth, you are speaking the truth!